Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok this week was the week that i went out and bought the new bike, now the problems start. I can usually ride my stationary bike for atleast 10 miles. Today i rode my real bike for just 3.5 miles and my butt hurt so much, my hands got numb and It was so much more harder to ride the bike on the road. Is this normal? should it be that much harder?

Hey Papa! (Can't call u big anymore...LOL)

I don't know... I haven't ridden a real bike since I was like, 10 or something. I imagine it's different. Just like how when I walk on a TM vs. outdoors. The TM for some reason is much harder on my knees, yet I can walk outside fine. Brisk and painfree.

I also think the seats on the real bike is much smaller too.

Papa, take your bike to a bike shop and talk to someone there about a different seat. There are so many different ones out there and one will undoubtedly be more comfortable for you! Also, "real" biker shorts, that have the pads in the "sitter downer" part of the shorts help too.

Big Papa,

Since I ride all the time I may be of some help. Believe it or not you have to break your butt in. A new seat may or may not be the answer as with any seat you have to break in your butt. Once you have riden a few times it will get better. My hands go numb on long rides and I have to hold them one at a time of coarse, above my heart and they start to feel normal again. Try buying some gloves with padding or gel in the palms and fingers. I generally ride about 3 hours at a time. I absolutely love it! I've gone from panting to death to make it up a hill to challenging myself to ride it in the hardest gear. Please stick with it. If you get even 1/3 of the enjoyment from it that I do you will love it.

I would also like to add that my husband who has been riding much longer then myself agrees with what I have told you.

weight.png

Banded 4/17/09

Edited by FailureIsntAnOption

And make sure the new bike is sized and adjusted properly for you.

I'm feeling your pain here Pappa....I rode my new bike for the 1st time last nite and man was my butt killin me!! and yes my hands were hurting too.....I totally agree with Donna, it's gonna take a little time to "break our butts in"....now as not being able to ride as far.....there is no wind resistance when you ride that stationary bike in the living room (or where ever u have it) so yes riding outdoors is going to be more challenging, but probably a better work out as well.

Peddle on my shrinking friend!!

~Monica

Ditto what Donna said. I commute to work on my bike, which ends up being about 16-20 miles of riding a day now, but in the beginning I was so sore in the "saddle" after riding even just a short distance. It just takes time...I'd recommend trying to take at least a short ride on flat roads/surfaces every day for a week or so--when you start to feel sore or uncomfortable, take a break or finish up for the day. This way you don't put yourself in so much pain that you want to give up riding altogether ;-) Then gradually build up to longer rides with hills, etc. Before you know it, you'll be riding like crazy!

Bike riding has become one of my favorite activities, not just for the exercise, either. I've found that it is the best way to start and end my day, clears my head, and puts me in a much better mood than riding the bus or train does! Happy riding!

Thank you everyone for the information, I bought a wider bike seat and adjusted it a little high than my first ride and that wasthe ticket, I went on a 5 ile ride today with the new seat and it was great. No butt pain at all, it was nice riding the bike an stoping when my legs were tired rather when my butt couldnt take any more. It was the hardest workout i have every done, riding up the hill was hell and amost all of the ride was on rocky dirty road up and down hill. I was so happy to see flat ground...lol... Thanks again for the help

Oh golly, brings back memories of getting new bikes 20 years ago and going out one day with my parents, my then 50is year old parents left DH and i for dead. I will never forget how much by butt hurt. I also find being a runner, my butt isnt broken in - I occasionally do a spin class and always get sore hands and sore but.

Like a treadmill, a stationery bike is not like the open road at all. It will always be harder outside, significantly so. You've got wind resistance, friction from the road, and you dont realise the gradient of the resistence you set on a stationery bike is really peanuts compared to a real hill.