Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon does not require one. Although, I am trying to cut back on my own. I've cut out all soda, caffeine, and carbonation. I am drinking different shakes for Breakfast in an attempt to acquire a taste for one! I am taking Vitamins everyday. I am also continuing on with the therapist who did my pysch, trying to give myself the best possible chance at success.

So, what are your pre-op requirements?

Edited by SummerAgain

My dr. requires 2 weeks of a shake only diet. The hospital prefers we use the HMR brand which they sell there. This program consits of a Vitamin (provided) 2 shakes for breakfast, 2 shakes for lunch, 1 shake for dinner and another vitamin. The cost of this program is $60 a week which is out of pocket. I would love to know if anyone else is doing an HMR diet or has in the past!

My surgeon requires 2 weeks of a mostly liquid diet with some veggies in between. Im thinking I might stick to the spirutein one from my past which was pretty good or I might try Unjury since I've heard its been really sucessful.

My surgeon is requiring a 2 week liquid diet - no solids. I have to lose 20 lbs before surgery. I have lost 13 in the past 5 weeks by changing breakfast to a Protein shake, morning snack fruit, lunch is an all vegy salad, afternoon snack is a Protein Bar and then dinner, Protein and vegys only. If I need something before bed I am doing either another Protein Bar or another piece of fruit.

I have never been a big soda or coffee drinker, so that part has not been any big deal for me.

My Protein Shake of choice is Myolean. I don't have the issues with the Protein shakes that alot of people do. I started one a day about a month ago, so I could find one I liked and get some recipes and mixtures I like before I HAVE to do it. It has taken alot of stress and pressure off and has made it kinda fun. My hubby is also doing the one shake a day with me, which makes it even better.

I love the chocolate Peanut Butter and the vanilla. I can't do any of them at the strength that the instructions say. Mine are much more diluted, with lots of crushed ice.

I like making the vanilla with some orange juice and lots of ice = orange creamsicle.

Regular chocolate with a spoonful of Decaf coffee and lots of ice is a great choco-mocha.

Regular chocolate is great done in the blender with a very ripe frozen 1/2 banana and lots of ice. (I also have been doing both the chocolate and vanilla with frozen fruit of all kinds, very good.)

I have the sugar free Torani syrups - Carmel, Hazelnut, and Irish Creme. Those also change things up a bit.

Be creative and have fun with it and you WILL find something you like. My surgeon suggests a Protein Shake everyday for the rest of your life, so having one you enjoy and can adapt to your mood is very important.

Good Luck Everyone!:thumbup:

My doctor put me on a 3 week liquid diet. (actually... 24 days is what it is ending up being)

Days 1 and 2, and 22 and 23: Only liquid. Protein shakes, milk, diet soda, coffee, etc.

Days 3-21: Liquid only, except 1 frozen meal under 300 calories/day.

Week one: 1500 calories/day

Week two and three: 800-1000 calories/day

I have a hard time clocking in the right calories... I'm coming in under. I have to drink a lot of milk to get up to the right calories :) I'm trying to stay as low-carb as I can, since I drop weight very quickly on LC.

I'm on three weeks, because my BMI is over 50. Works for me! Perhaps my BMI will be under 50 once we do the surgery.... doubt it, but any weight loss is positive!

I got lucky - I belong to Kaiser, Richmond Ca. Their bariatrics department is number 4 in the nation! We all were given a 1200 calorie diet to follow - most of the girls have lost 20 to 30 pounds on it pre op! some of us have a hard time with it due to the high carb count. Once we lose the 10% required body fat, they schedule the surgery. If you are interested in a copy of it, let me know and i'll get it to you.

Good luck!

My surgeon is only requiring 10 days high solid protien diet very low carb and low fat. Which sounds similar to the adkins I have tried in the past. I myself am choosing to do it for 3 weeks prior.

Patty

hahaha - now I have TRY to figure out how to do that. I don't have it with me right now but I will get on it ASAP.

Hi Candra,

Yes...yes..Please post it !!!

Thanks!

My doctor requires the following:

7-10 days before Surgery: Follow a low sugar (less than 16gm/sugar/serving) and sugar gree liquid diet which may include fruit juices, Jello, popsicles, low fat milk, yogurt, and Protein shakes (e/g/ carb solutions, Atkins, muscle milk, whey protein).

He doesn't require you to buy from him, which I appreciate. I would rather buy what I like from who I like. I will have a combination of Isopure clear zero carb, unjury (which I heard people like and I just ordered), pre-made muscle milk in chocolate from costco (convenient to take with me, doesn't taste too bad), and anything else I find appealing. 5-10 days isn't too bad, but then there is the weeks after too. Oh well, I can do it...

My doctor requires a two-week liquid diet consisting of three Protein Shakes and a 400 calorie meal (lean meats, vegetables, fruit and additional Protein like nuts). They want me to stay at 1000 calories per day.

My current surgery date is Aug 27, but I did have a July 20th date scheduled previously and started my 2 week pre op diet and actually got 3 1/2 days in before it was changed. My diet consists of Protein Shakes before breakfast and lunch. For b'fast I can have hot Cereal or grits, yogurt and applesauce and 8 oz of milk. Lunch is broth or just the broth of a Soup, yogurt or applesauce. dinner is much the same without the Protein before and I can add sugar free Jello or popsicles with a Protein Drink after dinner. I lost 7 lbs when i did this for less than 4 days. I"m thinking a good 15-20 will drop when I get on this prior to my surgery! Yeah!

I have to do 14 days of Protein shakes; there's a full explanation of my pre-op diet on my journal. The pre-op diet commences in 14 days, surgery is in 28. Getting close!

My doctor requires two weeks of mainly Protein shakes (they provide you with a list) and two cups of veggies if you want something crunchy. I've chosen slim fast because they are simple and I don't think they taste horrible. Not required to lose a specific amount of weight on the pre-surgical diet, just need to shrink the liver. However, I'm hoping to lose some decent weight before surgery.

p.s. We're allowed two tablespoons of non-fat dressing on veggies. I put a splash of balsamic vinegar over a cup of cucumbers, carrots and onions. Would never have believed I would find that appetizing but when you can only drink Protein Shakes, it's a dreamy meal!! ;-)

My surgeon wants us to do a 10 day pre-op diet. Mostly it is shakes, but for dinner we can have a choice of meat from the list he provided, a veggie and a starch. So an example would be 3 8oz shakes a day, breakfast/lunch/dinner and for dinner we can have 3oz of chicken, 4oz sweet potato and 1-2 cups of green Beans.

Its very similar to the HMR diet I was on a few years back. We still have many of the HMR shakes left over and so far I like their taste the best.

I start my 10-day pre-op diet on Friday.

We do not have a set amount of weight we need to loose, basically if we follow the diet, we wont have a problem shrinking our livers so they don't get nicked.