Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've lost my focus

I don't know what's wrong with me. It's been 7 month's now since Ive lost any weight..I keep floating up and down the same 2-3 lbs. I cannot seem to get it together to get my motivation back. Ive only lost 25 lbs since my surgery a year ago. I'm not really being careful about what I eat. Its more like I've become bored with food and exercise. Has anyone else felt like this? I know the reason I haven't lost anymore is due to this. I just need help getting my motivation back. Any suggestion"s out there?

How many fills have you had? WHat is your restriction level like? Trust me, that helps a lot with motivatioin because you gain self-control.

Other than that, go to the lapband discussion boards and look at all the before/after pics...very motivating!

Good luck...you CAN do this.

This is a bit expensive, but could you afford a personal trainer for a few weeks? Getting one really helped me get past my plateau and start back on the losing track. Now I can't imagine doing without her!!!! Good luck.

Mimi

You are not alone. I've totally lost focus as well and don't know how to remotivate myself. It's disgusting. I can't go in for a fill for another 3 weeks so in the meantime, I'm eating everything but my desk. I'll be the first to admit I've not followed plan and totally fallen off the wagon. I'll have to retrain myself. I can eat what I want, take big bites, and all of the above. It's like I don't have a band at all. I feel your pain! Just know you're not alone. I try everyday to give myself a pep talk. I had a 300 calorie coffee from Starbucks and just ate chips and it's only 9:45 am. How's that for a pep talk. I'm not happy at all with myself. I hope you find your way soon. I hope I can do the same.

I was banded on June 10th.I have had one fill.I do not notice difference nor do I feel like I get full quickly.Could it be I was not filled enough?I am not losing anything.

Echo...I've not lost anything for months. I even regained 12 pounds or so in May. If you're someone who likes to look on the bright side...in these months that you've not been losing, you've not regained everything either.

I think I lost my weight loss mojo when the weight loss started slowing down. I'm back on track now, though. I suggest that if you've not been going to support groups and not seeing your doctor on a regular basis that you start there. You can also start by giving up just one of the treats you've been having and replace it with something else - like a walk in the evening?

Sims..you probably need a fill.

xoxo

I to have lost my focus. I joined Weight Watchers to track my weight loss and can not even stay on that program. I am so frustrated and upset but I can not get it back. I have lost a total of 40 lbs since Aug of 2008. I wish it were easier.

I am so fortunate to be in a program where I see my coordinator once a week for a one on one consultation. It only lasts for a few minutes, went today. Every week I get weighed and every other week I get measured. It helps when you have to be accountable to another person. I've been doing this for 22 months and will continue forever. Today, I asked about when to contact a plastic surgeon for a Tummy Tuck, I am 20 lbs shy of my goal. My coordinator gave me the names of 2 plastic surgeons and said I need to call for an appointment now to get things started. Well, back to the lost my focus part-I too would have without having the support I do because I'm a "food aholic". If your area has a support group start going. If you have a coordinator, see him/her. Mine, from the questions she ask every week and depending on my weight loss, actually schedules me for fills when needed. I hope this helps

dfav,

I think you really hit the nail on the head! I have often felt thrown out to the wolves with the clinic only wanting to see me every 6 months 2 years out. If I need a fill or have any problems whatsoever, they are there for me, but I need to be accountable also and I brought this up to them. They are willing to work with me if I want to come in an get weighed more.

Now unfortunately my new insurance does not cover my band, so I only call them on an as needed basis.

Mary Rose,

I live in So. Indiana and banded in So. Indiana. Right across the river, in Louisville, there are many hosptials that band, the surgeons are great, even taught my surgeon lap band, but the support for afterwards sucks. I know several people who got banded in Louisville and their support is almost none other than a monthly group meeting. Sometimes these people look to me to ask and answer questions. The support I get (and others in my group) is unique compared to many other groups. My heart goes out to you.

EchoKitty...It's as if I wrote this very same post and you signed your name to it. I, too, had surgery a little over a year ago, and have only lost 20 lbs since my surgery. I have pretty much given up on ever losing any more weight with my lapband. It has failed me and I have failed it. I don't have an ounce of motivation to do anymore about it right now...very discouraged. I have a decent fill, but have to watch how much I eat and make sure I chew well, or I get stuck..especially in the mornings. I haven't gone back to my old bad habits of eating, but I"m not following the band rules, either. Maybe someday, I, too, will be able to start over again and try to get the scales moving. I wish you and me both a lot of luck...It's not easy.

Susie

Here's a big thank you to everyone that responded to my cry for help and hope, Since I posted I went back to my doctor and he filled me .2cc's. I now have 5.2 cc's in my band..my motivation is better, I've even lost 2 lbs. I now am surprised at my control to stay away from the real sugar sweets. Now if I want something I have a Sugar Free Chocolate pudding. I have also investigated some web sites online written by people who have had bariatric surgery and come away with some really helpful info. I'll share it with you now.

Check out the website Bariatriceating.com. It was developed by a women who had a gastric bypass. She is amazing, she posts recipes and even has products to sell that have been develpoed for people who really like to taste yummy things. I haven't tried to order anything yet, but am planning to when I get paid again. The other website to check on is Easy Recipes: A Month's Worth of Fast, Healthy Meals. This site was developed by a dietician that had a lapband placed. She posts free recipes designed for those of us with the lap band. She even has alot of good advice and tips for sticking to your goals, there is also a book you can purchase to download that you can use to journal your food. But if you go to the bariatriceating website, they have a free food journal that you can print out right away.....Now if only I can remember the pin for my tracker, I can keep on going and keep motivating myself.

Dont get me wrong, Im still struggling every day to stay focused, I think I went into a slight depression about six months after my procedure...I think I was going through a mourning period for all the food I wasnt going to be able to eat again! But when I read the book "Before and After" written by the woman who developed Bariatriceating.com, I have a new way of looking at the new lifestyle I need to live by. I even told my family that they will have to make adjustments to eat healthier, too. If I am to succeed.

You are so welcome. I hope it helps. :thumbup:)

Edited by echokitty32

I think one key is to keep going to your surgeon and keep getting fills if you're not losing weight.

I went in for my fourth fill recently and had "only" lost five pounds in the two months since my last fill. I told the surgeon's assistant (who weighed me) that I was feeling a little discouraged. She said, "At least you came back in..." I was shocked and said, "Of course I did! I KNOW I will lose this weight--just slower than I thought I would!"

I got the impression from her that a lot of people just stop going back for fills and visits to their surgeons.

Don't give up!

(BTW: I had my fourth fill 12 days ago and I've lost 3 pounds since then--yeah!)