Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my experience (overall) was really good. it went by so quickly, that i was home before i knew it. i actually wanted to stay longer b/c i felt so well taken care. I had my surgery on a Friday and went home Saturday afternoon after I had my barium swallow and voided.

with that said, my only bad experience was that i couldn't void. i was told that the anethesia can give you a lazy bladder. well let me tell you, it sucked. after trying to pee 3 diff times, i had to get a catheter.

other than that i had a morphine drip that i def pushed the button as much as i possibly could. i also got a couple heprin shots to avoid blood clots. but it was a really smooth process from admitting, getting the IV, wheeling back into the OR, scootching over to the table and then all of a sudden i was in recover where i dosed on and off for a couple of hours before going up to a private room.

hope this helps... good luck!!!

That is horrible and unfortunatly all too common around here. My daughter has health issues and has been in the hospital a lot and I have had some of those same types of experiences with the hospital nursing staff.

I had my lapband in Mexicali, Mexico at the Hospital Almater and the experience was absolutely wonderful, exceeded ALL of our expectations and totally put some of our US hosptials to shame. My family was scared for me to have my surgery there with all the hype about Mexico, especially the border towns, but you know what, the medical world here in the US could learn a few things from the hospital where I was in Mexico. They came in to your room immediately if you hit your call button. They also came in to check on you often, but not so often you couldn't rest. They gave the pain medicine within a minute or so of when you requested it. And, even checked on you to see if you were in any pain if you hadn't asked in a while. Also, our doctors there (we had 2) came to see us no less than 3 times a day (we were in the hospital for 2 days) EACH!! They really cared and made you feel like you were more than a number or a chart, like you were a real person with feelings. It was GREAT!!! I did have a little problem with nausea after surgery and was hard for me to walk around, but it went away on the 2nd day, and the gas was there, but not unbearable. My husband had no problem with the nausea and he was up walking around within about an hour after his surgery. He came to check on me and he had his surgery after me. I went first, then another lady, then my husband. We did have some incision pain the first day, but it was a whole lot better by the second day, just like the Dr. said.

That is horrible and unfortunatly all too common around here. My daughter has health issues and has been in the hospital a lot and I have had some of those same types of experiences with the hospital nursing staff.

I had my lapband in Mexicali, Mexico at the Hospital Almater and the experience was absolutely wonderful, exceeded ALL of our expectations and totally put some of our US hosptials to shame. My family was scared for me to have my surgery there with all the hype about Mexico, especially the border towns, but you know what, the medical world here in the US could learn a few things from the hospital where I was in Mexico. They came in to your room immediately if you hit your call button. They also came in to check on you often, but not so often you couldn't rest. They gave the pain medicine within a minute or so of when you requested it. And, even checked on you to see if you were in any pain if you hadn't asked in a while. Also, our doctors there (we had 2) came to see us no less than 3 times a day (we were in the hospital for 2 days) EACH!! They really cared and made you feel like you were more than a number or a chart, like you were a real person with feelings. It was GREAT!!! I did have a little problem with nausea after surgery and was hard for me to walk around, but it went away on the 2nd day, and the gas was there, but not unbearable. My husband had no problem with the nausea and he was up walking around within about an hour after his surgery. He came to check on me and he had his surgery after me. I went first, then another lady, then my husband. We did have some incision pain the first day, but it was a whole lot better by the second day, just like the Dr. said.

Damn! I saw my surgeon exactly twice--right before I went under and right before I went home

haven't seen him since!

They say that travelling for medical procedures is going to be getting a lot more common, I can see why!

Some surgeons are great "cutters" but have lousy bedside manners....I am lucky with my Dr. Cavazos. He ran the seminar (and lord that man was patient, answering every question, some more than once! ) and I've seen him for every office visit, plus before and after my surgery. Shop around; find someone you're comfy with.

Everything went awesome for me except I did not react well to the anestesia - made me very sick! Also my pain meds (lortab) made me really sick so I switched to children't motrin on day two (I also had my tonsils removed at the same time as my band and that hurt SO badly I didn't even notice the band work) I had virtualy no pain from my banding - just getting in and out of bed or bending - :thumbdown: I was in at 8am and home by 4pm so can't complain!

Edited by Mommy of two

This surgery was the worst surgery anyone can ever have.I went with Beverly Hills Physicians because they are suppose to be the best Yeah Right, it was the worst experience of my life and I never want to go through that again or anyone else to go through what I had to go through. After waking up from the surgery I was taken to the OCU unit and left there for 7 hours before they can find me a room, the pain was the worst pain I have ever endured in my life,and I can take pain. I have four children and I think I'd rather have a baby then go through this awful pain of blotting and discomfort in your left shoulder and mid stomach area. At least with my labor pain it was over in a few hours not 2 days.I sufrered for 2whole days with this awful pain in my chest and left shoulder and neck area. I could not even lift my neck without holding it because it felt as if it was going to fall off. Then to top it off the darn nurse never called in my meds and it was a saturday evening everything was closed, I was not about to wait till Monday. So I had to hunt the doctor down which took me four hours to get a hold of him so he can call me some pain meds and some nausea med also because I was very ill. It has been 4 days now and I am starting to feel a little better thank God for that. I think all my praying and asking God to help me made me feel much better I am recovering at home now. Good Luck for anyone who is looking into this make sure you have the right doctor because it really means a lot, and makes a big difference.

My surgery went great was in at 7am and out by 1pm. My Dr gave us the prescription the day before so there would be no problems and the center called that night to check on me and make sure I was all right. I had the e-mail of the PA's and have asked them a hundred questions they were alway very kind and reassuring. Just goes to show you the difference in the experiance.

Mine wasn't that bad. Got to the hospital at 8am and had to wait around to go up to the surgery floor. Got there around 10. Went in and changed and didn't actually go into surgery until 2pm (which by the time my stomach was talking to me lol) so the nurses were great. My surgeon who I had previously only met once was pretty nice even though he made me cry when he asked what my weight was (what can I say? I'm a girl lol) so went into recovery at god knows what time and took forever to wake up. Felt like I was going to puke and told the nurses who went and put something in my iv, still felt like I was going to be sick so they gave me a bag but all that happened was I gagged and burped lol. No pain at that time. Was wheeled to the floor below where my room was (got a room to myself yay) and then the pain hit (got to the room around 7pm by the way) so the nurse was saying I should have morphine which was ridiculous - I didn't think I was in that much pain that I needed morphine and I've only had it once before and I felt horrible the next day - almost passed out. So I gave in and she gave me the morphine. Didn't sleep much that night at all because they came in every hour to check the surgery marks and make sure they weren't bleeding. Fast forward to the morning when I needed to pee and honestly I hated the nurses then, I seriously needed help getting out of bed because it was painful and the nurse was just like "oh we're not allowed to help, it'll put us at risk" And I was just sitting there thinking " So if a patient falls on there ass and sues you because you weren't doing your job properly what are you going to do then? And I know for a fact that they can help people get out of bed because it was the surgery ward and I've been on a previous ward where they've had to help me out of bed because I had a chest tube in and couldn't move. But oh well. So had a shower and was pretty tired still, went for a couple of walks to help with the pain (didn't have any gas at all or shoulder tip pain) then went back to my room where I WAS going to have a sleep but then the nurse came in and said "Oh we need this room for another patient" So I got taken to the transit lounge which is basically where people go before they go home and there transport hasn't arrived and then went home. Overall the nurses before surgery where great, they where really nice and very helpful. The nurses in the ward on the other hand where complete bitches. So I dunno. All I can say is don't get your lapband at the p.a hospital in brisbane, australia lol.

Some surgeons are great "cutters" but have lousy bedside manners....I am lucky with my Dr. Cavazos. He ran the seminar (and lord that man was patient, answering every question, some more than once! ) and I've seen him for every office visit, plus before and after my surgery. Shop around; find someone you're comfy with.

Couldn't agree more monkey. My surgeron who I actually found out didn't do my surgery but he did assist the person to make sure everything went ok, was a great surgeon. Fast forward to when I went for my first fill and he was a complete ass, my nurse did my fill but he couldn't find the port so the surgeon stepped in and was just like "it's right there" and did my fill, I didn't even get to have a sip of Water and the other guy that had the band done the same day as me was at the door and he basically just shoved me out. Thankfully he's on long service leave for 3 months so I won't have to deal with him next time I go for my fill.

You know, when it comes down to it, I would rather have an ass who is a great surgeon/doctor then a nice guy who is not as skilled.

My doctor is in Tucson and he is very dry, and to the point. He is nice, will answer all your questions but will not chat with you or just shoot the breeze. When you are done, he leaves the room with a thank you. He is not the type to coddle. He is there to do a job and a good one he does.

Nice does not always equal good. Just my 2 cents.

Mine was actually pretty good, the worst thing I could say would be that I was on a schedule to be gone, last person of the day. My surgery four years ago was more like the bad treatment stories above and I'm not going back to that place for anything I can avoid. This time I was at the surgery center in and out in about 6 hours. They were very nice and I got a lot of pain meds. I didn't really feel that bad, but they gave them to me just in case. I got liquid pain meds and nausea pills the day before along with antibiotics, so no waiting to find the doctor afterwords. The doctor was very nice and skilled and I had no gas pain at all and what I would consider tolerable abdominal pain when I tried to get up, but that is expected. They didn't damage my teeth either, no excuse for that to anyone. Only needed pain meds for a couple days and switched to regular ibuprofin kids chewables and liquid after that. I have the doctor's direct phone number if I have any questions and I believe he was a really good choice. I was lucky to get both very skilled surgeon and one who was friendly.

My experience was great! Blood draw, IV painless.After surgery some pain, given meds right away. Had private room. The staff was excellent. I was treated like a queen! No gas pain, no nausea! My surgeon is wonderful. I would do it again!