Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You Get Too Thin

I'm thrilled that I've now love over 130 lbs - I went from a 50" waist to a 33-34" - but, now, everyone is telling me I am too thin and I'm actually beginning to think it as well. At 6 ft 4 in, I do need a little bit of meat on my body to not appear to thin - can't believe I'm complaining about being too thin - I asked my Doctor about what happens once goal is met (my goal was 220lb, his 200lb) and he said nothing - you just maintain - I asked about loosening the band and he said, don't like to do that, but, maybe a very little -I'm continuing to lose, have great restriction (no complaints about that to this point) - so, any of you out there get to a certain, goal point and want to stop losing for a bit - A year ago, couldn't imagine having this concern.

Thanks. Thom

Congrats on the weight loss! You look fantastic and love the kitty too, very pretty cat!

Your BMI is 24.2, a perfect healthy weight. If you want to stop losing without a slight unfill just bump up your caloric intake a bit.

Feels good to have control, doesn't it? ;o)

Well, for starters, you look like an entirely normal, healthy man to me and you look great. Not too thin at all.

But I know what you mean sort of, DH is a bit the same. He's 6ft 3 and currently 94kg so what's that, probably a tad under 200lb. He's still quite definitely overweight - becuase his family are all quite gifted runners and tend towards the very thin, he is very very fine boned (his wrists are smaller than mine, he has these incredibly long, unmanly fingers, lol) and he really is probably meant to be somewhere around 170lb to get rid of all his excess fat.

He doesnt want to be that skinny and I have to confess, he has been when he was young and its less attractive than he is now. BUT - its unarguably healthier. The only real answer in this sort of case is if you want the bulk but your natural body type is thin, you have to build it it in the form of muscle - keeping unhealthy fat on you is really not the answer.

BMI is confusing, i mean yes, 24.2 is healthy but how much fat do you have? Is it healthy for YOU? I spent my entire teens and twenties at a BMI of about 25 and I was most definitely FAT. Fatter than was healthy. It was just not a good body composition for my body, which is tall, thin and lightly muscled. I am a person who has a more appropriate body composition with a BMI probably a bit less than I have now.

Yet, I'm also the same. I've now got a BMI of 21, and I've still got plenty of coverage on my lower half, enough that I want to lose it, but I know if I lose more weight, then I'm going to just be entirely scrawny up top - there's an easy answer, lol, Lipo, the ultimate way to lose fat, not muscle. Because women with chest bones sticking out and rib cages that are bigger than their bustlines are not that attractive either....

I think overall though, your body is what decides. You have to stay true to your natural body type, and if that's very thin, then that's what it is. And it really gets down to focussing on your body composition rather than actual weight.

Edited by Jachut

Interesting.

It's something I'm dealing with right now. Some people are telling me I'm a bit too thin. I've lost about 180 pounds from my highest.

My BMI is just right, about 24. I have some residual skin that may need to be removed from my middle, so that will shed a few pounds.

But.....I suppose it's how you FEEL, and not how other people see you. I am quite happy with how I look now, but I'm going to wait a few months before I pass final judgement. I think we need to let some time pass to get used to our new "look", to see if we are comfortable with ourselves. My wife calls me "Bones". But, I think she is a little threatened by my new appearance. She hates the way people "drool" all over me and how much weight I've lost.

I have concluded that it really is not all about the weight loss. The loss is merely the beginning. Consider it as a kind of "rip and rebuild". Tear down, and build back up again. Along with fat, I have lost muscle as well, and that needs to be replaced.

So, while I have lost all the weight I need to, there is still a lot of work to do. And I'm going to ignore people on both sides of the "too skinny/too fat" issue. I will simply work until I feel exactly right with myself. And it may take some time. I was heavy for so long, that I'm not sure i know HOW to feel comfortable with my new self.

HH

I'm having a problem too with losing too much weight on my upper half and not enough on my lower half. I've actually gained a little back now and feel much healthier. When I was at my lowest weight I looked gaunt and sunk in at my collar bone and you could see my ribs a bit. I just didn't look healthy, and frankly didn't feel healthy. Now that I have but a little weight back on I feel stronger and have more energy. Unfortunately, I think to lose that last bit of weight in my lower half I'm going to have to have Lipo and plastic surgery. The fat just doesn't want to come off my lower half, and unfortunately you can't really control where you lose fat from.

You need to listen to your body. You know better than your doctor what weight you feel most healthy at. If you want a slight unfill, insist on it. It's your body, not your doctor's. Good luck!

Thanks everyone - really nice to hear your perspectives and experiences with "being too thin" - who knew? I have to agree that its now time to build the muscle - I feel really good about myself, but, beginning to feel maybe I am too thin - today, my partner told me I was "too flat" and could not tell from looking at me, if I was "coming or going"- good for a chuckle. ... oh, the before/after posted pic - the after is about 7 months ago - I need a new after! Again, thanks. Thom

I believe your current weight is in the normal range for your height. If you are still losing and don't want to, perhaps you could add a couple of small Snacks to your daily diet? Try adding one and see if that slows or stops the weight loss. If not, add a second. I'm not suggesting ice cream and cake, but a healthy snack like cheese and fruit or something like that. Obviously, I'm not at goal, but it seems like a logical suggestion.

Great advise from everyone already but I wanted to say "Congrats on your loss!!!"

pancake butt? LOL

i prefer DH w/a few more pounds on him, like jachut's husband, mine is also 6'3 but carries a big frame. played football through college - so when he got down to the 190's he looked "ill". right now he floats between 210-225, and it suits him.

i think weight training is a good idea - congrats on your success.

Hi:

I think people can get too thin. My personal experience was that I couldn't think about getting to my bmi healthy weight because I would be way too thin on the top. As it is, my collar bones are too prominent. When I got to my lowest people kept asking me if I felt alright because I was looking tired all the time. I think that being 20 pounds over a healthy bmi is okay for me. I asked my doctor and she said that as long as my blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol were fine and I felt good that the 20 pounds over bmi is probably okay for me. My legs were heavy before I even gained weight so I shouldn't be surprised that they're still heavy.

Sure would be nice if we could lose it where we want to, and keep it where we don't. Shucks!

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

I could have written your post. When I first started I never thought a BMI of 25 was possible. That would have meant a loss of 125. For a while, I was really focused on this- not so much these days. I am at 25.4 - an could happily live with that.

However, much like HH - I have lost muscle that needs to be replaced, which I haven't really figured out how to do yet.

But if one more person says too me "you're so thin". I suppose its better then "you're such a fat ass" but still. If you hear something enough, you start to wonder. As you did am I going to far??

HH - I love the Tear Down, Rebuild idea!!! Going to adopt it as a thought process.