Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you convert to Bypass if...

If your band was removed and you couldn't get a new one  

2 members have voted

1. 1. If your band was removed and you couldn't get a new one

• Would you allow your doctor to perform a bypass during removal?
    • Would you consider a bypass in the future?
    • Would you just go bandless and be on your own?
    • Could you afford another Band surgery if that's an option?

Hey Kare, thanks for providing that link. It took me ages to read the whole thing .. but OMG, the poor lady :) It definitely makes me grateful for the option of banding.

Yeah, it's heartbreaking to read, isn't it? I remember I first read her site about a month ago when I was alone on a Sunday and I just cried and cried the rest of the afternoon. To day by day "watch" someone's life fall apart and watch them literally starving to death. And her poor little boy!

I so respect her for sharing her story, but it's haunted me every since.

Well, my first choice would be to get re-banded but if I couldn't for some reason I would definately do the bypass. I LOVE losing weight and never want to be fat again!!!!

If I lost my band and couldn't get another one, I'd probable go it alone for a while and see how I could do after 14 months of being banded. I was just telling my sister yesterday though that I was pretty sure that if I lost my band right now, I'd gain my weight back. If there was some reason that I could not get a band, but I could get the bypass, I probably would really have to think about it. I always thought the bypass was too drastic for me, so I didn't have an option until I found out about the band.

So I'd go it alone at first, and MAYBE consider it later, but I really couldn't say without being in that position.

I would have the gastric bypass should I lose my band. I know that the

band is safer and has less complications. but hearing all of the erosion

stories and other things that can go wrong..I just wonder what it will be

like 10-15 years down the road. I know the same could be said for the

gastric bypass. Seems like most really lose fast (a friend of mine had

GB a month later than my LB and has lost 70 lbs to my 28) but they do

seem to gain it back over time. Hopefully, this will not be the case with

my band.

Rhonda

Dr Lopez 3/10/05

221/193/140

First Fill: May 7, 2005 3ccs

I'm with Trish. I was on the suicide hotline at 315 pounds asking for ideas. Three Hundred Pounds is not living, it's dying.

I don't disagree with that. I know when I was 312# and someone brought up the fact that being that fat could kill me the only emotion I felt was relief.

That being said, if I ever decide to commit suicide I am sure as hell gonna have a BIG HOT FUDGE SUNDAE FIRST!!!!

I was just thinking about this tonight. I have an endoscopy Oct. 7 and the results may dictate my banded future. Either I'll be ready for fills again or I have complications (i.e. erosion) requiring band removal. What I always liked about the band is the reversability factor. And here I am facing that possibility (hopefully not -- prayers, please!)

Considering my relatively minor complications with the band, I worry about what those complications would be with the bypass. Pre-band, I didn't think I'd be in the one or two percent or whatever percentile the risk factors were for complications... and here I am!

One thing I don't think anyone's mentioned: many of us lost weight to the extent that we're no longer morbidly obese so we wouldn't qualify for RNY -- from the doctor's standpoint or the insurance companies.

Elizabeth

8-28-03

unfilled and holding!

I WOULD NEVER HAVE A BYPASS PERIOD - unless for some ungodly reason I gained twice my weight back and ended up being like 4-500lbs.

If I had to have my band removed - I would do it on my own for as long as I could until I could afford to be re-banded - even if it took me 10-15 years to save up and do it again I would have to do it that way and fight like hell not to gain much weight back.

BYPASS is not an option for me. EVER!

I'm actually very sad at the moment and it is a direct result of a failed bypass surgery. I just got off the phone with my mother who is probably going to be admitted into the hospital tomorrow due to a failing, possibly rejected, kidney. She had had a stomache bypass many years ago to lose weight and it worked. However, as a result of malabsorbtion of Protein and Vitamins she ended up in kidney failure. After a 2 year battle she went on dialysis which did not work well with her due to port malfunctions and closings. After 20(yes, over 20) surgeries for ports they put her on the top of the transplant list. 5 months later she got a transplant and now, almost 5 years later, this. And that is not the whole story either. It was really a nightmare. She was in a wheelchair for almost a year and had to have the bypass reversed before transplant so gained a lot of weight. She really went through so much and it was just horrible and now she faces it all again. So I would never, ever have the bypass surgery. Sorry this was so long.:think

Sometimes I think I would have the bypass because my band weight loss has been slow which is my fault too for eating the wrong foods sometimes, and the bypass wouldn't allow me to do that, but then then when I read the story of that Jessoca O girl, I don't think I would ever have it done!

I would do by-pass-since tha band I am no longer considered insulin resistant which was a huge relief to me. There is a long history of diabetes in my family and my mom is one of them . She had a kidney transplant just over a year ago and is doing great, but is having a hard time keeping weight off, he nepherologist suggeted GB and she is looking into the band, but they are thinking Medicare will not pay for it. My brother-in-law had GB and is doing well although he has had a few complications (hernias). My husband wishes he would have chosen GB instead of the band as his just doesn't seem to be working for him, the way mine is? WHo really knows?

NO! But I am in the process of getting my band removed and having the DS (Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch) if all goes well!

"Why?" you ask. (I can hear you.) The band is restrictive. After a year or two post-op with the bypass, when the body kind of overcomes the malabsorptive thing, the bypass is restrictive. The DS--although a more extensive surgery and although requiring a far more skilled surgeon--leaves you with a larger stomach, an intact pyloric valve, the ability to eat most kinds of foods (although each person has different tolerances and bowel issues may ensue if those are not discovered and honored), the ability to take NSAIDS, and a bunch of other reasons, including malabsorption that continues beyond the two year mark. (That also means that enormous effort to make sure nutritional needs are being met must be observed.)

AND...(I should start a new thread, huh?)...because the band has caused and is causing me physical problems. I am one of the 11% of banded people whose esophagus stops working (it's supposed to "massage" the food on through to the stomach) once we are banded. Yesterday, under flouroscopy, two surgeons, a lab tech and my husband and I watched as I drank barium with a completely unfilled band. It just sat in the esophagus. Lump-o-barium, if you will. I had to wash it through with Water...and remember the drink is a liquid. You can imagine what solid food does.

So, I've seen a DS surgeon. He wanted all of the saline out NOW, to provide a little relief to the stomach. As soon as the insurance says "Go," I'll get unbanded and re-routed. I'm scared--because I'm not half as dumb as I look. But I need to get rid of the band and I really feel a push to have another wls surgery before I "age out" of that possibility. (I'm too close to 60 for comfort.)

In answer to your question, no bypass. But I would have a wls called the DS.

Sue

NOPESIES FOR ME!! I do not believe in it........ this is my final chance...... if it ever needs to come out I will do it without.

I don't know what I would do if I lost my best friend, My Band? Oh God please don't let that happen! I really don't think I could do bypass but then again I know I dont want to weigh over 300 again either!