Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I have a 4 cc band, is it as good as larger bands?

I believe I have a 4 cc band (will double check), but I have heard and read from people who say they have a 10 cc band and someone even told me she has a 14 cc band. Have I misunderstood that I have a 4 cc band? If I do, does that mean my band wont handle as many fills as others? Will I not be able to get the same restriction as people with bands who hold more? Now I am nervous that at some point it may not do me any good anymore??

The 4cc band is, as far as I know, the older style of Lap Band. Currently they are producing the "AP" (for advanced platform) series which is sized: AP S holds 10 cc's, AP L holds 14 ccs.

As far as I can tell from nosing around a very little bit (I have the AP L so it isn't a big personal concern for me, just a curiosity) the 4cc one is used most often still by surgeons practicing in Mexico. A few US surgeons still use it.

THis is just what I've "gotten", again, from reading, it isn't hard science.

However I think the 4cc band apparently produces results, because people have been successfully banded for years. In other words, what they "used" to use apparently works.

And I may be wrong...it DOES happen! :tongue2:

Here's where I got the idea that the band holding 4cc is "old style"

Compare Adjustable Gastric Bands - LAP-BAND vs. REALIZE Band

If you look under versions, the 2001 style of lap band, called the 9.75/10, held 4ccs.

hi i have the 4cc band. an i am on my 4th fill. an i have plenty restriction.it does work. so far i have lost 76lbs.

Hi:

The 4cc band worked fine for me.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

My 4cc band worked fine for me!

Also, you wont have as many fills probably - because you dont need as many. It can be a bit easier to find restriction BUT it can also be a bit of experimenting becuase you dont have as LARGE fills. I had 1 cc, 0.5cc, 0.5cc and then all my fills were 0.1cc from that point on. Tiny. But I got restrictrion from the very get go. In fact every fill gave me a sweet spot for the time being, until I lost more weight and loosened off again.

My 4cc band worked fine for me!

Also, you wont have as many fills probably - because you dont need as many. It can be a bit easier to find restriction BUT it can also be a bit of experimenting becuase you dont have as LARGE fills. I had 1 cc, 0.5cc, 0.5cc and then all my fills were 0.1cc from that point on. Tiny. But I got restrictrion from the very get go. In fact every fill gave me a sweet spot for the time being, until I lost more weight and loosened off again.

Hello,

I am hoping to get some insight on my progress. I started out at 220lbs in April 2009. My first fill of 1cc in my 4cc band was at the end of May. Since my first fill I have had 2 more fills with .5 cc each time. I am currently done to 205.8.lbs. I get my fills, but I am still not feeling a great restriction. Some people say they take one bite of something and they are full. I could easily take 10-15 bites before I start to feel satisfied. What is the Deal? One problem is that I can't really exercise because I have fibromyalgia which makes my muscles hurt and spasm up with much activity.

Thank so much for any INPUT on my SITUATION!!!!

LivingWithFaith/KY:smile:

I also have a 4cc band and was told by my doc that he gave me that one because I had a smaller amt to lose and it would work fine on me. I got it 2 1/2 yrs ago and due to my fibromyalgia & disc problem, like you Livinwithfaith, can only do a minimum amt of exercise. Therefore, my weight loss has been VERY slow. But, the 4cc band does stretch to quite a bit larger cc's.

I also have a 4cc band and was told by my doc that he gave me that one because I had a smaller amt to lose and it would work fine on me. I got it 2 1/2 yrs ago and due to my fibromyalgia & disc problem, like you Livinwithfaith, can only do a minimum amt of exercise. Therefore, my weight loss has been VERY slow. But, the 4cc band does stretch to quite a bit larger cc's.

Thanks for the input! After you get your fills, does your doctor tell you to stay on liquids for 2 days, then soft food ,etc..?

So the band will stretch....that does not sound good! Because i do not want it to stretch so I can eat more, I am hoping to get to a point where I CAN only eat a few bites. i am not there yet.

thanks again and keep up the good work:smile:

livinwithfaith/ky

Thanks for the input! After you get your fills, does your doctor tell you to stay on liquids for 2 days, then soft food ,etc..?

So the band will stretch....that does not sound good! Because i do not want it to stretch so I can eat more, I am hoping to get to a point where I CAN only eat a few bites. i am not there yet.

thanks again and keep up the good work:smile:

livinwithfaith/ky

Yes, on liquids 2 days, then soft until tolerating regular. The band stretches with more saline so the stomach is more restricted. I understand the can go up several cc's beyond the "4cc" lapband it is.

I have a 4 CC band too and I have it filled with 2cc's and have lots of restriction. I have lost 60lb's in a year.

i have the 4cc band as well. i have had the same experience as jachut. very little fills have a large impact. and i have never had more then 2.2 total in my band. i think it works just fine.

I have a 4cc band at the moment have 3.1cc in it. So far it's worked wonders. It needs a slight adjustment right now probably just another .1 in. I've had very few fills in 2 years and they've all been rather small. I went from now until May without a sweet spot, so I'm trying to find it again. I miss my sweet spot.

Leena:

Congratulations on your weight loss success. I have the small band too, and am currently filled to only 2.0. I was as high as 2.5 before my Tummy Tuck but haven't been able to go back up again yet.

I know you'll find your sweet spot again soon. You probably lost it because you're continuing to lose and you're so close to your goal!

You go girl!

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Yes, on liquids 2 days, then soft until tolerating regular. The band stretches with more saline so the stomach is more restricted. I understand the can go up several cc's beyond the "4cc" lapband it is.

I had my "unfill" Mon. and I'm amazed at the difference .5cc makes. I can eat now without regurgitating but still get full very quickly. I had only lost 9 lbs throughout the summer from being overadjusted, but hopefully now I'm back on track. I know it will have to get tweeked a bit tighter, and know I was eating a few things that were causing slow weightloss like Slim Fast, but I'm so hoping it's all worked out now. I took my husband in with me as the last couple times I've gone in there, the culture of my doc was causing some disrespect to me being female (at least it seemed so). Much happier now.:biggrin: