Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight before 1st fill...HELP!

So I am 2.5 weeks out. I just moved onto the "soft food" stage from lliquids. I dont get my first fill for another 4 weeks. I am reallu worried about gaining weight during this time due to my hunger cravings being back. I know this is supposed to get better after my first fill, but what until then? IM working out 5 days a week. Did you guys experience weight gain during this stage before your first fill?

I am in the same boat - only I get my 2nd fill tomorrow and I have gained 2 pounds since my first fill. I would love to know what you find out from others. It is SO frustrating.

Its normal. You my not feel restriction for a few fills. You might feel restriction for a week or two after a fill and loose a few pounds but then gain some back waiting for your next fill.

The last fill I had was the one but I also know that it may not last...so give it time. It is all part of the process.

Thanks guys! Ya Im not filling any real restriction right now besides being full fast and staying full. All foods go down fine and I havent had to eat real slow. I know this will change after my 1st fill. I just wanted to make sure it was normal!

I was banded on 06-17-09 and I just started mushies as well. I lost 17lbs total and I gained a pound back today. Ugh! It is frustrating but you have no restriction so since you have been on fluids all this time and you are starting food, you will probably gain a little back. But you have lost 20lbs and that is great!

i know that this was posted a while ago, but I'm so glad I found it when i searched. I lost 13lbs and haven't had my first fill yet. My surgery was on 9/9/09. My first fill is oct. 21st.

I have gained 2 of those lbs back and i was so very dissapointed. But i'm glad to see i'm not the only one.

I am in the same boat also with you what you gals mentioned. I had my lap band on 8/31/09 and lost 13 lbs. by 9/16/09. Right around week 3 post-op I started to notice I could eat more and more each day. Now I have to be really conscious about how much I am eating and not eat so fast. I practice all the time on chewing a lot and slowing down on my meals. But, hard too when there is no sudden discomfort right away. Temptation for sweets and fast food has been getting stronger also each day. My first fill isn't until 11/5/09. I am worried about how much weight I will gain back before then. I feel like I am back to doing the diet thing all over again and that no band was placed at all? Anyone else going through or been through this type situation and feelings? Any support much appreciated.

I'd like to hear more on this as well. I'm only two weeks out and already craving real food even though I'm only starting week two of mushies.

I exercised three days last week, not as much as I should but, I am pleased with the fact I went at all and how long I stayed.

I want to CHEW! I'm dying for some ribs. I've already faltered once, getting myself a big milkshake over the weekend. I haven't lost any weight since surgery. I'm afraid I've gained because of the shake.

Today is my post surgery appt. with the dr. so we shall see what he says!:smile2:

I am so glad I found this thread. I was/am getting so very frustrated. I am 5 weeks post op and I have 1 more week to go until my first fill and have gained 7 of the 8 lbs that I lost pre-op! After reading more of the replies, I'm not too confident that the first fill will be the be-all-end-all. Do most people lose a lot after the first fill? I'm not hopeful and very disenchanted with the whole thing.

I wish I did gastric.:tongue2:

First off if your only a few weeks out of surgery DONT WORRY ! Meaning, The first 6 weeks post op is about healing NOT losing weight. I know I know " WTF" you think ? I know we had this surgery to lose weight. HOWEVER you have to heal FIRST.

Worry about weight loss AFTER your first fill .

The time between your first fill and surgery is known as banster hell . And its for a reason. you WILL Be hungry . However after you get a fill it will help with that.

So worry about healling , eating the proper diet , moving the stages up as you are suppose to and weight loss will come later !

Mindy

I am post-op as of 09/08/09. I am feeling little more hungry than I thought I should. I was hoping that this is normal. I dont go to the dr's until Oct 23rd. I have not gained any weigtht but I'm affraid I will. I hope that this is normal. And I will start to lose again. Does anyone find it hard to get your fluids down? I have been experiencing slight headaches also, does anyone else?

I am posting tonight for the first time. I had my surgery on August 7th and my first fill today, 9/28, 2cc.

I lost 10 pounds post surgery and have gained 3 back. Not good.

I had my first fill today and was so scared that the process would be painful but it wasn't as bad as I had worked myself up to believe it was.

The Dr. said he took out 3 cc during the operation.

I hope this works because I am just not losing.

Lisa

North Carolina

I am so glad I found this thread today. It was exactly what I needed. I am so frustrated because I don't feel any different than I did before I was banded. I am HUNGRY. I am hungry ALL THE TIME. I got for my first fill on Oct. 13th. I hope that makes this all "real." It was real for a couple weeks after surgery, but then I wasn't sore anymore and I had my normal life get back in the swing of things, the band went to the back of my mind. It wasn't until today that I really realized that I probably need to make it a priority again. I haven't lost any weight in almost 2 weeks and I am so frustrated. It's nice to hear that I am not the only one completely frustrated with this whole thing.

Good to hear from others. Right after surgery, I lost the 10 lbs., quickly recovered and told the doctor I could eat any and everything, and I could. After that (my 4 week check up), things began to change. I really could not eat breat, ate a hot dog, threw up, at a sausage link threw up and eggs... forget it. No eggs of any shape or form.

Now I have had my first fill this past Monday, and it has been day 3 and I can eat no food. Just my Protein drinks. I am now losing weight now- yippee. But now I am so constipated...

Hey y'all! I was banded on 8/6/09 (I weighed 265 the day of my first appt with the doctor and then more the two weeks before surgery on the liquid only diet - lost about 17 pounds after surgery but gained 4 of those pounds back before my first fill which was this past Monday 9/28/09. Got 5 cc's in an 11 cc band. Since the fill I've lost 7 pounds! I have not felt hungry at all since the fill. I had to be on liquids for 2 days after fill and ate some black eyed peas last night. I wasn't hungry but I ate a small bowl knowing I had to eat and finished it all but did not feel stuffed, just content. I do have a tootheache that is not letting me think of anything but pain right now so I have not even thought about Breakfast and it's noon already. Once I see the dentist at 1:30 today it might be game on with the food, don't know yet.

My doctor told me DO NOT weigh yourself between my followup visit and my first fill. He did not want me to get frustrated because I probably would gain a little weight. He said he would be happy if I maintained but if I gained he would not berate me because he said, let's face it, you got the band for a reason - dieting wasn't working for me so he did not expect me to lose during the bandster hell period. I didn't listen and weighed myself every day. Fortunately I did lose so he would not have even known about that 4 pound gain since I had lost 13 according to his scale and the last time I was there! They do have a new rule they explained to me though. My next appointment is October 28th and if I want/need a fill then I have to bring a food journal with me to show them that I am trying but it's not working. I have to show proof that I am actually dieting instead of just getting the fill for the heck of it.

Don't beat yourself up over the weight gain. Apparently the doctors are prepared for it!

Oh, and GEAUX TIGERS!!!:)