Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you reach your goal?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How did you reach your goal?

• I ate what I wanted in small portions
    • I was very strict with my diet
    • I ate a low carb diet
    • I only had 1200 calories or less per day

To all who are either close to your goal or at goal, Did you mainly eat what you wanted in "moderation/portion control" or did you cut out foods and follow a strict diet?:redface:

Yes, that's exactly how I lost weight.

My diet before surgery was obviously not right as I got fat. But I have 3 kids and am cooking for a family so the basic bones of my diet - my Breakfast, lunch and dinner were healthy. We'd eat fast food about once a month as a family, I cook from scratch with fresh ingredients and was always educated on the evils of processed foods - sugary cereals, chips, convenience meals, canned Soups etc. I knew how to stay away from too much salt, saturated fat, and additives in our family diet.

The trouble with me was that I ate large meals, but on top of that, I'd drop the kids at school and hit the shops for a big cappucino with a huge muffin, I'd nibble on Cookies all day, I saw nothing wrong with the ENORMOUS slabs of cake on the display after a meal out, I liked a glass of wine etc.

With a band, I'm satisfied enough with my meals to avoid those foods for the most part, and they're hard foods to eat, thank goodness my vices werent ice cream and chocolate. Also, for me, those foods go hand in hand with coffee and trying to drink coffee and eat a donut OUCH. It can be done but its not pleasurable. I love my coffee, so I avoid the donut, lol. I dont WANT a donut if it doesnt come with coffee.

I've never counted a calorie, I didnt cut out any foods, I dont journal, I dont fuss about Protein, I just eat 3 sensible meals a day and if I'm hungry, I have a small snack - and sometimes that IS a cookie or something.

I lost pretty much the same way Jacqui did. For me, it's the only way that makes sense. Doing the other stuff is just like being on a diet. If I could do that, I wouldn't have needed the band. I can't stand the idea of being chained to a journal or weighing and measuring my food.

I will say my doc harps on measuring though, but I seldom pull out a measuring cup.

It's a relief to hear those replies from such successful people. I've been doing the samething for the most part. Only now I'm trying to make healthier choices more often. Also I'm noticing the bandsters that have lost the most have more CCs in their bands. I'm getting another fill the 24th. YAY! I hope it makes a difference.

i'm a slave to journaling my food & exercise.

i should say that i'm a very unorganized person & this little step each morning lets me be in control of some sorts & for some odd reason it keeps my kitchen organized, where it's usually chaos.

for the most part i do eat what i want - and generally that's fresh food. i was very strict with myself early on, and there was really no need. my husband never measured / weighed / journaled.....nothing & he did quite well and fast.

i think whatever works for you is best.

Yes, that's exactly how I lost weight.

My diet before surgery was obviously not right as I got fat. But I have 3 kids and am cooking for a family so the basic bones of my diet - my Breakfast, lunch and dinner were healthy. We'd eat fast food about once a month as a family, I cook from scratch with fresh ingredients and was always educated on the evils of processed foods - sugary cereals, chips, convenience meals, canned Soups etc. I knew how to stay away from too much salt, saturated fat, and additives in our family diet.

The trouble with me was that I ate large meals, but on top of that, I'd drop the kids at school and hit the shops for a big cappucino with a huge muffin, I'd nibble on Cookies all day, I saw nothing wrong with the ENORMOUS slabs of cake on the display after a meal out, I liked a glass of wine etc.

With a band, I'm satisfied enough with my meals to avoid those foods for the most part, and they're hard foods to eat, thank goodness my vices werent ice cream and chocolate. Also, for me, those foods go hand in hand with coffee and trying to drink coffee and eat a donut OUCH. It can be done but its not pleasurable. I love my coffee, so I avoid the donut, lol. I dont WANT a donut if it doesnt come with coffee.

I've never counted a calorie, I didnt cut out any foods, I dont journal, I dont fuss about Protein, I just eat 3 sensible meals a day and if I'm hungry, I have a small snack - and sometimes that IS a cookie or something.

Did you have anyone naggin you that now you look to thin? I am getting alot of that lately, yet I have put on a few kilos, I have generally health foods but an ice cream or choc here or tthere, I read the labels and in general you have to have a hell of alot of chocolate to have 100 calories, and yep that is what i use to do, now i have only enough for me to enjoy but obviously not overdoing on the burgers chips pies etc all the time as i did on a regular regular basis,

I didn't "diet" I changed how I ate - I eat healthy (lower fat - limited carbs/sugars - I still have some) and I exercise

For the first few months I weighted and measured my food - as I needed to learn what a real portion size was - I did count caloires and kept a food journel for the 1st year. I used all these things as learning tools.

I am at the beginning of my journey and I do weigh my food. Mostly to teach myself how much I should be eating. I don't keep journals or anything like that but my personal concern is that I don't put too much on my plate. I have my first fill but it is as restrictive as I hoped it would be so I made an appointment to go back to my surgeon on 08-25. Until then, I will measure my food and watch myself carefully. Right now, I don't eat anything but meat Protein and veggies. Only because I want to lose it as quickly as I can so I don't add anything else to my diet. I think once I reach my goal I will be able to relax a little bit and not be so strict on myself.

I meant to say not as restrictive as I hope it would be. Jeez. Typos.

I meant to say not as restrictive as I hope it would be. Jeez. Typos.

I knew what you meant :0)

Balance was my biggest thing. I always ate my Protein first, followed by my veggies and then my carbs. Well, it still is. The funny thing is now that I am "thin" no one thinks it is odd that I eat such small portions.

It's funny how that works, it seems like when we're fat people keep us under a microscope when we eat. It's like if you were to read their minds they would be saying "How'd you get so fat?". The sad thing is I've had people actually verbally ask me that question. :biggrin:

It's funny how that works, it seems like when we're fat people keep us under a microscope when we eat. It's like if you were to read their minds they would be saying "How'd you get so fat?". The sad thing is I've had people actually verbally ask me that question. :biggrin:

.Wow people can be so rude!~ Do they really stop to think before speaking at all?

It is true though. When I'm out eating at a restaurant, I always seem to catch the look from the wait staff and my plate is still almost full every time. Then they look at me, or sometimes they even ask, "what didn't you like your meal?" They are usually genuine in their question, but you can't help to wonder if they would still ask me that if I were at a normal weight.

Oh well! and in answer to the question...

I just started not too long ago logging and measuring all my food. I did find out that my maximum is usually the normal portion size. I do pretty good when I'm eating good food. It's the chocolate and ice cream and chips I need to watch out for !! :smile2:

Probably they would - I nearly had a stand up argument with a waitress last week, because I didnt finish my meal, lol. She didnt believe there was nothign wrong with it, but I was simply full. She kept arguing with me to tell her what the matter was. Normally I eat enough that this doenst happen but I was just tight and unhungry this particular night and would have been happy not to eat at all.

it was quite embarrassing. I ended up telling her I had a band to shut her up and make her go away.

Probably they would - I nearly had a stand up argument with a waitress last week, because I didnt finish my meal, lol. She didnt believe there was nothign wrong with it, but I was simply full. She kept arguing with me to tell her what the matter was. Normally I eat enough that this doenst happen but I was just tight and unhungry this particular night and would have been happy not to eat at all.

it was quite embarrassing. I ended up telling her I had a band to shut her up and make her go away.

LOL! Okay then, I guess they are truly wondering.. Thats a funny story though.. :biggrin: