Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to take pictures...(mini rant ok)

OK so I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary no I I have lost over a 100lbs like most but I have lost some that I am proud of. Anyway I got out of the 3 month pictures, then the 6 month, and 9 month but there is no way out of the 1 YEAR anniversary pictures so I am holding to it we are down to the days now and I still feel reluctant I see some can't wait to "see" the results and here I am holdingoff as long as I can, maybe because I am ashamed because I have not lost alot as others YES I know not to compare myself to others (was told this yesterday at the last doctor's appointment free LOL) but I can't bring myself to take them, ok I will admit it to you all I STILL FEEL FAT and sloppy why is this?!?!?! :wink: YES I have went from a size 32 stretch elastic jeans, to a 24 that is now fitting TOO BIG again, went from a 4x,3x and now 2x size shirt and some of those are too big but yet the 1x's some are not quit big enough maybe the way they are made. But other than that I am not seeing myself any different...is this common?!?!?! Like I am dreading the pictures why is this it's almost like a phobia man I have to get through this!!! I know put my big girl panties on and just do it I guess....

Because of the horrible self image that we have of ourselves! That is so awesome that you've lost over 100 lbs you should be proud of yourself. Don't be afraid to get those pics out and look at the difference in yourself from the way you were before to now.

Hi:

I believe that it takes our brains a long time to catch up to our bodies when it comes to significant weight loss. Also, if you're loosing that much weight there is probably alot of extra skin that disguises some of the successful weight loss.

I surprise myself sometimes still when I see my reflection in a store window, or mirror, because I don't know who that average-sized woman is, and oh - it's me!

Best wishes to you with your band. I love my LapBand and my new flat tummy.

Because of the horrible self image that we have of ourselves! That is so awesome that you've lost over 100 lbs you should be proud of yourself. Don't be afraid to get those pics out and look at the difference in yourself from the way you were before to now.

Oh no Libby I think you misunderstood I haven't lost the average 100lbs in a year yet but I am not far behind!

I also want to add when I see everyone else I oooo and awww but can't see myself being any smaller than 300lbs! Ugh!!! And breaking that goal was not as exciting as I thought it would be doesn't make sense either! Something is wrong with me I think..

Oh sorry I thought you said you lost 100 lbs. 70 lbs is still good dang it. Quit beating yourself up over it. Look at yourself in the mirror you are a much smaller person than from when you started out. Focus on positive things instead of negative things about yourself. Eventually you will lose that self-loathing you have of yourself. I still think of myself as a size 26 and I have to tell myself oh yeah i'm a 18/20 on top now and a 24 on bottom. I always think that when I try on shirts they aren't going to fit me because i'm so used to trying on 26.

Yea your right now if I can stay in a size longer than 3 weeks I might make it LOL!! I still can't fatham that I am or could be in a size 22 right now but can't test those waters yet I am out of money with buying clothes so I will have to wear these baggy ones for another month or 2 it just has to be!

But thank you for the kind words LIBBY! AND everyone else!

I believe it is sort of like that body dysmorphic syndrome where people only see their flaws and are constantly seeking a fix .... like those people that just keep having more and more plastic surgeries. We KNOW all too well what we looked like when we started this journey and, obviously, we didn't like what we saw or we would never have put ourselves through what we have! But the change has happened quickly. We got fat slowly and sort of let ourselves get complacent along the way because you didnt see the change in minute increments (but mostly when we had to buy bigger clothes).

So now, we've changed one heck of a lot -- physically, mentally, the whole package. BUT we saw that old version of ourselves for so long that we really have a hard time seeing our NEW selves.

I suggest that you go to a dress shop. Get a clerk to help you. Be honest with her and tell her that you've lost so many pounds and that you don't have any idea what will fit. Take 1 size smaller than you think you are right now and try on a ton of dresses. That's right, DRESSES. To me, a dress makes me feel sexy and pretty in a way that slacks never will. If that size is too tight, ask for the next size up. The clerk will be glad to bring it to you. Step out of the dressing room and look at yourself in the big mirrors from several feet away. But don't look at yourself. Look at the woman in the mirror and see her for what she IS today. If that 1 size smaller than you THINK you wear is a little snug, consider buying it if you think 5 pounds will make the difference. But for this one occasion, buy the prettiest dress you can find that fits you really well.

No big flowers, no "tent" dresses. Buy something with a waist and that makes you look like you have more waist that you do. Try on every damn dress in the shop. But the most important thing is the way the right one feels when you slide it on. Really FEEL the dress. I swear I can tell if a dress is right before it's all the way on just by the way it feels.

Go to the department store and get a makeover on your makeup -- the day the picture will be taken. Get a new haircut. Do whatever makes you feel pampered and pretty and I promise you IT WILL SHOW ON YOUR FACE.

Oh, yeah, clothes buying. I have a friend who shops at Goodwill and finds really cute, stylish things in smaller sizes as she loses weight on South Beach. I shop EBay religiously. Just got a pair of gently used capris that look like new for NINETY-NINE CENTS. Add a little shipping and they were right at $4.

You're not going to be wearing it long so look for the bargains. Consignment shops will cost a bit more but will still be less than brand new.