Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused-How much I should be eating at each meal?

My surgery was on 6/2. To date I have lost 20 pounds.

After having my surgery I found out at my 1 week post-op visit that all of the reference materials/diet guidelines given to me were for bypass NOT the Lap Band. I was told they didn't have any materials yet, but are working on it. So frustrating. Everything I thought I knew may or may not apply to me now.

The surgeon told me I can have soft foods. I've been living off of yogurt, cottage cheese, thinly sliced lunch meat and the occasional piece of fruit or cheese.

My daily caloric intake is less than 500 calories. Each of my three meals weighs 2-3 oz. My 2 daily Snacks are also 2-3oz each. Am I eating correctly? Am I eating enough? I feel very confused. I want to do this the right way.

HELP!

Jennifer

:blushing:

Just remember to eat slow, I found I was eating about a cup of pumpkin Soup on mushies and it was apparently too much (oops) but I could fit it in so I didn't think I had a problem with it. For the soft food part, try casseroles, I had heaps of quiche, scrambled eggs and omlettes with just cheese. I also had some cheesesticks just for extra Protein (not that I count it anyway.) Good luck with everything.

My daily caloric intake is less than 500 calories. Each of my three meals weighs 2-3 oz. My 2 daily Snacks are also 2-3oz each. Am I eating correctly? Am I eating enough? I feel very confused. I want to do this the right way.

In my opinion - you are not consuming enough calories. Can you add Protein shakes to bump it up a little?

Maybe ask your docter for a calorie guideline?

My personal experience early on, was that my body was in starvation mode from too little calories.

For me, I lose at a good pace when I consume 1,000 - 1,200 calories per day.

Good Luck on your journey!!

Hello Malissa,

Thanks for your response, it's really helpful. I forgot to mention that I have 3 - 4 ozs. of a Protein shake as well, but that is included in the 500 calories a day. I think I will contact my doctor tomorrow.

CONGRATS on your weight loss. Awesome job!

Sarah,

Thank you so much for your advice. It's very helpful. I'm sure I'll have a handle on all of this soon. It's still so new.

Jtejada,

I was banded 6/5. I'm on the mushie stage now for the next three weeks. My surgeon suggests 2-4 oz of mushies at a time and aiming for 6 mini meals right now(then going to three meals). I log my calories and right now I'm hitting about 600-700 a day without being hungry. I have my guidelines in a pdf so if you want me to email them to you let me know.

You're doing great with your weight loss!

Linda

Good morning Linda,

I would love a pdf of your guidelines. My email address is jenn_tejada@yahoo.com.

26 pounds...that's FABULOUS! Good job! I haven't weighed in a few days. I decided I will weigh in every Saturday morning. Hopefully I will have lost a little more.

Thank you very much!!!!!

Jennifer

Please be careful of consuming too few calories. The body WILL go into "starvation protection" mode if it senses that there is a long-term caloric deficit.

Ideally anything less than 1000-1200 would trigger that.

Anything less will mean that your body will start depleting lean tissue (in other words, start reducing muscle tissue).

Hope you get some answers soon!

My doctor won't give me an amount I should be eating. His questions were: "are you stopping when you feel full (yes)", are you vomitting (no) and his response was don't worry about it. Not a firm quideline, but he didn't seem concerned with quantity. I have not had a fill yet, and I do really think I'm eating TOO much (1-2 cups of food per meal) but he is not concerned at all. I have noticed that I'm only losing 1-2 pounds per week, and I'm looking forward to my first fill.

After having my surgery I found out at my 1 week post-op visit that all of the reference materials/diet guidelines given to me were for bypass NOT the Lap Band. I was told they didn't have any materials yet, but are working on it. So frustrating. Everything I thought I knew may or may not apply to me now.

The surgeon told me I can have soft foods. I've been living off of yogurt, cottage cheese, thinly sliced lunch meat and the occasional piece of fruit or cheese.< /span>

HELP!

Jennifer

:sneaky:

Jennifer - I was banded 5/11/09 and have been following a 1000-1200 calorie daily plan. I eat three meals a day and only three meals a day. I can only eat 4-5 oz's at a meal so I must choose wisely. Proteins always first. Since Breakfast is the hardest for me, I have a V-8 juice and a Protein drink. lunch is usually tuna salad, chicken salad, meatloaf or something that's high in Protein. dinner - Boneless chicken thighs, meatballs, tilapia etc. A nice piece of tilapia or filet of sole is very good for you and soft.

What helps me is " fitday.com" It's free. You sign in and can track and plan your daily intake. You want to eat 60-80 grams of protein. I have a hard time getting in the vegetables because I'm full after the 4 oz of protein so I have a V-8 in the am.

I hope this helps......Good Luck - You can do it.:wink:

The surgeon told me I can have soft foods. I've been living off of yogurt, cottage cheese, thinly sliced lunch meat and the occasional piece of fruit or cheese.< /span>

HELP!

Jennifer

:sneaky:

You're doing wonderfully! My surgery was also on 6/2, but I only lost 15 lbs. I am on soft foods as well, but I have had vegetable chilli, 1/2 soft chicken taco, yogurt, broths from Soups, and lots of fluids (i.e., Isopure, Water, and crystal light).:wink:

Jtejada,

I was banded 6/5. I'm on the mushie stage now for the next three weeks. My surgeon suggests 2-4 oz of mushies at a time and aiming for 6 mini meals right now(then going to three meals). I log my calories and right now I'm hitting about 600-700 a day without being hungry. I have my guidelines in a pdf so if you want me to email them to you let me know.

You're doing great with your weight loss!

Linda

Linda,

Your plan sounds great! Would you mind sharing it with me as well. If you need my email address, please advise.

Thanks.

My doctor won't give me an amount I should be eating. His questions were: "are you stopping when you feel full (yes)", are you vomitting (no) and his response was don't worry about it. Not a firm quideline, but he didn't seem concerned with quantity. I have not had a fill yet, and I do really think I'm eating TOO much (1-2 cups of food per meal) but he is not concerned at all. I have noticed that I'm only losing 1-2 pounds per week, and I'm looking forward to my first fill.

I think your doctor is correct. Before the first fill, your main concern should just be "healing." You're going to be eating less than you had, but not as little as you will once you get a fill.

My doctor repeats over and over and over, as does his staff: Do NOT worry about weight loss after surgery. The foods you are to eat are for the sake of your band, that it's new and your stomach needs to heal. The quantity, at this stage, is somewhat irrelevant.

toptier is right. just take your time to heal fully. just make sure you get your Protein. also this is a really good time to get in the habit of taking small bites and chewing really well. if you get that down early you will save yourself a lot of discomfort later on.