Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been doing alot of research on the lap band and have decided to have it done in late November, early December but the only thing I havent been able to find much about is the post op meds. Are they just pain killers for after the surgery? Are they long term meds that I will be one for months or maybe years? I would love it if someone would be able to give me some insight as to what the meds are exactly, and if it helps I am having dr. kirstenbaumb in CO do my lap band. Thanks so much for any imput!

When I had my surgery they gave me two perscriptions. One was percocets for pain, I think I had enough for 5 day post op. They also gave me a stool softener because I guess that is a significant problem amoung bandsters. As far as any medications for life, that would be Vitamins. It is essential to take a Vitamin, that way we do not lack any nutrients.

I was given about 3 days worth of liquid loritab and anti-nausea meds. I bought some liquid Tylenol for adults at wal-mart and use it as needed. My surgery was 9 days ago I haven't used the tylenol on 2 days. But, at least I have it. You'll also need multi-vits, chewable or liquid.

I didn't take any of my pain meds. My doc requires a multivitimin until I was on mushies. (2 weeks) and 20 mg Pepcid twice a day for 2 months so I don't form an Ulcer. Thats it for me. :wink:

Like Brockbabe, I got a prescription for a liquid pain med. Never took it, never took anything at all. My internist TOOK ME OFF all my meds (blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes as of the day of surgery). I take a Vitamin everyday. That's it. That's the whole reason I did this -- to get off all those pills. I cannot describe to you my daily joy that a handful of pills is no longer a part of my daily routine. My vitamin effervesces (just like Alka-Seltzer) and I add a little Benefiber to it, and some orange-flavored Crystal Light for taste. That's all there is!!! Yipppeeeeeee

I was given liquid roxicet for pain (never used it), plus anti-nausea pills (haven't had to use them either). I was already on nexium - so that's it from my doctor. But they also stress taking a Multivitamin (mine's chewable) and Calcium (again, chewable).

On my own, I take extra Vitamin D3 (we don't get enough), Omega 3 fish oil (chewable) and some other meds for allergies and breast cancer.

And Boniva (for osteoporosis) might be looming in my future (my cancer meds plus weight loss can cause bone loss). So, I doubt I'll ever be pill free!

You just have to make sure all meds are tolerated by your band. Some need to be crushed, split or chewable. Good luck.

My doc said that we'd all need a good multivitamin (that's not uncommon...even un-banded people would usually be well advised to take a good multi!), a Calcium supplement (don't know if that's everyone or just women) and we might need b-12. That's IT. We're given (most of us) some type of prescription pain med post op but that is very short term.