Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 17 But Might Have to Postpone

My surgery is scheduled for 9 a.m. on Wednesday but it might be in jeopardy.

Three weeks ago I was in to see my PCP and she diagnosed a rash on the rear of my right leg as contact dermatitis and prescribed hydro-cortisone cream.

During the past three weeks the rash go worse and also jumped to my groin area.

It dawned on me Friday that this rash might affect my ability to have surgery on the 17th. I was able to make an appt with my PCP on Monday morning.

Friday night I decided that I'd go to urgent care in the morning and get a diagnosis started since time is of the essence. First thing this morning I headed out to Urgent Care.

The Urgent Care doctor determined was that the rash was fungal (yeast) and noting I'm on a blood sugar medication

was concerned about diabetes. She prescribed meds for the rash (sure hope they work) and had me go for a blood draw to check my sugars.

So, I have a rash the size of an open hand on the back of my leg (the doc also thinks there might be a chemical contact component because of the location) and a two inch wide rash along the inner crease of the same leg. She prescribed a "double dose" of systemic anti-fungal meds and an anti-fungal cream. She understood my concern about getting to Denver and my surgery but she thinks it shouldn't worry the surgeon and I should proceed.

This trip involves driving over two days, hotels in two towns (Monday, then Tues - Thurs), kenneling the dogs, four days off of work for me and and my husband, and a fair amount of prep.

While I was glad to have the doctor's advice and probably more importantly the prescriptions to start my healing, I was still worried about my surgeon's opinion. I e-mailed his coordinator this morning (Sunday, 8 a.m.) and had a response back from my surgeon by 9 a.m. Yes, he has concerns but I should go to my PCP appointment in the morning and the three of us can decide then how to proceed.

I'm really bummed but I know I should postpone if there is any chance of wound contamination. Don't need this inside me!

Thanks for letting me vent.

ohhhhh, I sure hope it resolves quickly for you! what a bummer. you are right in getting it all checked out and IF it has to be postponed, you'll get it at the time right for you.

Thinking good things for you! keep us posted

I think you'll be ok to have the surgery. You will have been on the meds for about 6 days that should get it, ya think? I hope you don't have to post pone it, but if you do it wont be for long and, although it will seem like forever, you really wont remember it after you get your band. I trust my instincts--you'll get it this week. :)

:smile2:Checking to see if you had the sugury on the 17th. I hope everything went will.

Just thought I would let you know that's momentarily devastating to have your surgery rescheduled. That happened to me. I live in Missouri and there was a terrible rain storm this morning. I too have driven three hours, boarded my dog, and my husband and I taken time off work.

So we get the hospital at our arrival time today (8:00) and sat for about an hour, not too bad. Then the nurse came to get us (my mom is doing this with me) and said the doctor was stranded and couldn't perform the surgery today. :bored::eek::thumbup::eek: TOTAL DEVASTATION! I don't have to worry about insurance or anything of that nature cuz I'm a self pay, but you still work just as hard. Changing your diet and mind set is changing it, no matter who's paying.

However, after feeling like curling up and bawling for the better part of the day I now realize that one day isn't going to hurt too much. Just wasn't meant to be for me today.

Hey guys... thanks for the support.

No surgery for me Wednesday. :bored: My PCP thought the rash was psoriasis (which would be okay for surgery but not for my future quality of life) but wanted me to go to the dermatologist. My PCP got me squeezed in at the derm.

The derm "usually" is confident in this diagnosis but in my case she wasn't. She recommended that I postpone surgery. She took a scraping for a culture and a biopsy. I have a script for it being a fungus. The culture won't be done for two weeks then my husband will be out of town on a business trip. I guess if I can get it scheduled with the surgeon, I'm looking at a month's delay... the week of July 20. :thumbup: Guess I'm becoming a Freedom Fighter instead of a June Journey.

oh what a bummer! I just got banded by Dr. K this past Friday. He did a great job, what a nice man. He found an ungly mole on me and told my husband while I was in recovery to be sure I got it checked. Seriously, a thourough and effecient man. I recommend him :bored: Good luck, better safe then sorry!

Jill

Oh I am so sorry! I was hoping that wouldn't happen. I am mad for you!! What a STUPID thing to postpone surgery!!!!!!!!

:bored::cursing::thumbup::cursing::eek:

Oh I am so sorry! I was hoping that wouldn't happen. I am mad for you!! What a STUPID thing to postpone surgery!!!!!!!!

:wink::cursing::smile::cursing::lol:

Yeah, really stupid because the rash may have been accidentally self-induced. I have a very strong steroid cream I have to use for a personal condition and might have had some on my fingers and rubbed my thigh. I know I applied it to my leg crease. Steroids are totally contra-indicated where yeast might grow (leg creas). Sigh... live and learn.

Good news - I'm completed rebooked for July 22, assuming my rash clears.

Bad news - I'll need to be moving over to the July Freedom Fighters because I get sad when I see you all getting banded.

Good luck to all the June Journeys. Thanks for your support.

it will be here before you know it and it really is better to be safe than sorry because should that have caused a problem with incisions it really wouldn't have been fun. Good luck!

Trisha