Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band in 2 weeks - still smoking!!!

Guest bandstertobe

Guest bandstertobe

I am being banded in 2 weeks. I am scared I will not be able to do the liquid diet. I have cut down on smoking but haven't stopped! Anyone have comments on the smoking thing?

I was banded just about a month ago. I also thought I wouldn't be able to do the liquid thing (and the 1000 cal. pre-op for 2 weeks which was very difficult!), but the good thing is that you know it will be time limited, not forever. I kept reminding myself that there is a reason that I am doing this afterall - that nothing else has worked and that I must be willing to undergo some discomfort to see the results that I want. I was amazed that I got through it, and you will too - you will find strength you didn't think you had! I made sure to drink the Protein, and I got through (plus, initally, you won't really feel like eating probably for a few days).

You may also find that you have strength to quit smoking that you didn't think you had. Since you're making major lifestyle and health changes, this may be the perfect time to let the cigarettes go as well, to leave behind any further physical damage.

Check out the thread that Ladysplenda started, as she, too is struggling with a smoking addiction. There is a great deal of help and insight on the thread. Have you thought about or talked to your doctor about using the patch or medication to help? There sure isn't anything wrong with getting some help!

It's perfectly normal to have doubts about whether or not we will be able to do something when in the past we have not been able to. But, you have already started to break the cycle by looking into and deciding to get banded. Believe me you are much stronger than you realize, don't let the demons of the past tell you otherwise. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!!!!

I also quit smoking about two or three months ago, I didn't keep track of exactly when I stopped, I just finished smoking the last ciggaretes I had and quit. I am taking Wellbutrin for depression, but this medication is also known as Zyban, and it is used to help reduce the withdrawal symptoms and for me it really helped. It wasn't easy, but each day got better and better until after about two to three weeks, I wasn't really even thinking about it anymore. All this while getting a new fill put in and working on my nutrional lifestyle goals.

As for the liquid diet, it's not easy but very doable and the rewards are very helpful in keeping you on tract. During this time you will probably drop a great deal of weight and that can keep you going. And remember, the idea behind the liquids after is to give the band and port time to heal as they are sutured in and you want that to be throughly healed before attempting anything more than liquids.< /p>

I wish you the best of luck in both your endeavors. I'll also keep you in my prayers as well.

Cindy

I smoked up until the minute I was wheeled in to surgery, my nutritionalist told me not to try and quit , that trying to lose weight and quit smoking at the same time woul dbe difficult, told me to do one at a time, so I did the weight loss , now I'm focusing on quitting once I reach my goal weight which I'm hoping wil lbesoon, however since home from the Vegas Bash where I smoked way too may ciggarettes, I have made a commitment to my self to cut back, I'm down to 5 cigarettes a day. I had the same fears of not being able to do the liquid diet post op also but I wil ltel lyou this, it was much easier then I had imagined, all of the swelling and gas I hadfrom surgery, I was not hungry for 2 weeks, you may be surprised, dont worry too much, you wil lget through it, we all have ;)

Good Luck

Hi,

I too am wondering how I will do an a liquid diet. Unfortunately, can't be much help there. But, I will say that Zyban helped me soooo much in trying to quit smoking. It was amazing to me. Struggle after struggle to quit smoking and after taking this med was incredible to me. Didn't even think about smoking. If this is a med you are able to take, try it out. Smoking is one of the hardest things to kick (harder than heroin). Will power aint gonna get it. I don't have to tell you that. Very rarely do folks quit and stay that way without some help. Do whatever you think will work for you. Meds was the way for me. Hope this perspective helps.

Much love and be well

I quit the day of my surgery. The only thing I can say is I got that cough you get when you give up that is bringing all the crap up, and it really hurt to cough post op. I had that for about 5 days and ewwwwww.

Unfortunately I took it back up 3 weeks ago, smokes were never out of my mind for longer than 5 mins at a time and I was too weak and gave in. I will work on giving it up when I have this weight loss thing under control. The 2 of them at the same time was just too hard for me.

I hope you can give up, if you cant dont be too hard on yourself, it is one of the hardest things in the world to give up.

Good Luck

I had heard that if you smoke you might not heal as fast as you should. But I could not stop smoking so I was scared. I had no problems with healing. I think you will be fine.

I don't smoke, but I have heard that if a doctor requires that you smoke, sometimes they will run a test before surgery that somehow tells them that you smoked and some doctors will cancel surgery based on that. Just fyi.

my dr. does a test to see if you are smoking. if it is positive you cant have the surgery . you have to be smoke free for 3 months. good luck i know its hard. i had to give up cokes (real not diet ) so i know how you feel. sandie

get a BLENDER i was told anything you can suck through a straw.

Tonight i went to Safeway and got their Soups they sell hot at the Deli. I had chicken Gumbo, added Water and blended it up. It was great. I also got White chicken Chilli from Taco Time yesterday and added chicken broth and drank it for lunch and dinner. I have clamChowder, cheese and Brocklee (sp), Tortilla Soup, loaded potatoe Soup, and steak chilli.

Breakfast i have Dannon fruit smoothies, 1 scoop of protien powder and 3 ice cubes.

make sure you have some Clear Liquids and fruit pops for when you first get home.

As for the smoking, it is expensive and you will need the money for clothing soon.

;)