Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Have To Lose Weight To Get Surgery

:cry

I want to have the lap band surgery. Problem is that my doctor will only do lap band if your BMI is under 50. I have to lose 7lbs inorder for me to even get an appointment with the surgeon. I have all my testing done. I just need to lose 7lbs and I cant do it. I dont know what my problem is.

The other problem is that as of January 1st my employer is changing our insurance plan. I will no longer have Connecticare who covers lap band surgery. I will now have Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield and from what I understand, they dont really approve lap band surgery.

I just need to vent because I am so frustrated.

Everytime I feel like success is around the bend, something stops me in my tracks? Could it be myself?

Thank you all for listening

My insurance wont cover in full out of state. I would have a pay a great portion and that is something I cannot do.

I just need a quick way to lose 7 pounds in 1 week

Dear Joanne, I was on the carbohydrate diet prior to being banded, and lost about 25 lbs in 1 1/2 months. Good Luck, and hang in there.

Thank you all. I do feel a bit better today and have a better outlook. I am going to put my mind to it.

You are right, I could lose a lot of Water weight.

Should I go Protein drink?

Any recommendations?

Joanne,

I'm not generally a "this is happening for a reason" kind of person. This time, I'll make an exception.

The BMI is only a "general guideline" to the body's well-being. I have the frame of a linebacker and always have. Not long after I finished Basic Training in the Army, I got married. (Just a hint here, people who have just made it through basic are generally as slim and trim as they are ever going to be.) My wedding ring was sized up to an 8. Yup, e-i-g-h-t. Big, big bones. No chance of bone density issues as I now head toward my sixtieth birthday. Yet, women with smaller frames, who were the same height as I, weighed much less and had much lower BMI's.

I go through all this nonsense to point out that your doctor's preoccupation with a number is IMHO pretty silly. And, given my experience watching how these things go, he may just prove to be just as anal about your fills. If so, you will be one frustrated cookie. So, in this case, if things don't work out with this guy, this time, it may not be the worst thing that's ever happened.

I DO wonder how experienced this surgeon is, as the more experienced out-of-the-country guys don't even balk at a BMI of 50, and do them all the time.

I hope you get the surgery--and the follow-up--you want and deserve. And I hope you get it sooner, rather than later. But missing this particular opportunity may simply be the opening to more promising opportunities.

Good luck on the whole thing!

Sue

I agree that it doesn't seem right for your doctor to have such a rigid guideline for weight.

I have heard that a lot of doctors have "rules" that people over a BMI of 50 can't have laparoscopy (for RNY as well as the band), so that might be why he picked 50 as the cut-off.

However, I'm living proof that the band CAN be done on bigger people. My BMI was 58 before the surgery.

On the other hand, if this surgeon is the only one available to you, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to get the band.

If you are still having trouble losing weight, you might want to try the Atkins diet. During the induction phase, the weight comes off pretty fast. Might be a little easier to stick to that than the liquid diet (at least pre-op). I think it's easier to stick with the liquid post-op diet because you know it will end eventually!

Good luck.