Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old Gall Bladder scar...problems?

I just talked to a friend of mine who was banded yesterday. The question is has anyone had a scar on their abdomen before surgery and did you have any problems or more pain following the surgery. I'm asking because she has an old gallbladder scar and she says it WAS NOT the piece of cake that she thought it would be and she thought she was in so much pain because of issues with her scar tissue. I have the same type of scar and am being banded next week and I really would like to know if anybody else has had this problem and what I can expect.

WOW Sheila, I have the same scar also and my surgery is on the 26th. My dr did tell me that it would be more challenging but that it could still be done. The Jerky Dr who did my gall blatter back in 86 felt like being a little differen't that day and desided to make my insision straight up and down instead of the sideways insision.

What is the date of your surgery? and good luck! Are you on liquids yet? I started yesterday with mine.

I Also Had My Gallbladder Taken Out About 7 Yrs. Ago,but I Had It Done Laparascopically. I Was Wondering Will It Be An Issue During Surgery, By The Way I'm Scheduled For 9-19-05, My Dr. Said There Might Be Some Scar Tissue And Might Be In The Way. I Hope There Won't Be Any Problems Because I Would Really Hate To Have The Open Surgery.

my scars werent any where near each other really (see below). i actually asked my surgeon to do it in the same scars and he said it was easier to do them elsewhere to get closer to the gallbladder.

I also had a 2nd band surgery to change to the larger band 3 days after my first in the same incisions.. so i was quite sore from that but i believe thats just cuz it was so soon after.

i wouldnt worry but thats just me =0)

scars.jpg

Shelia-

I had the old long scar from gallbadder years ago. My doctor put the port right next to the gallbadder scar. He did say he clean out old scar tissue under it. It was a little sore because of that. It has been fine. Good luck

I too have the "old" type of gallbladder removal scar! About 6" long. I was only 20 years old when I had mine removed (runs in my family). I wasn't really overweight....just a genetic thing!

Anyway, my Lapband doc told me that there was no significant scar tissue present. He said that my old surgeon did a really great job. I've heard that old scar tissue could potentially pose problems for the lapband surgeon.

Ray

I have a 4 year old gallbladder scar and had no proble at all--one of the band incisions is right in the middle of the old scar. Dr. did not complain about it at all and, to be honest, I had so little pain after the surgery that I can't imagine there was any problem with it. Best of luck to you all! Terri

This is a great question - and something that many of us have to deal with.

I have a very long, like 8 inch, gall bladder scar. My band doc said that I had some scar tissue. Yes, I was sore after banding, but how do I know what to compare it to? I think a lot of it depends on how much you do post op - while you are healing (in the first week or so). If you are able to rest and not do any real physical stuff, then you shouldnt have an abundance of pain.

I took tylenol regularly for 2 days then prn after that. Im still here and would do it again in a heartbeat! Definately tolarable.

I have the old gallbladder scar too its diagonally across my stomach. I had it taken out over 20 years ago! Im having my band placed tomorrow ! My Dr. didnt say anything to me about the scar. I will let you know if there are any problems ! He did put that in his notes though.

I had my gallbladder out about 15 years ago, started as laparoscopic but went to open due to an emergent situation. No problems what so ever with banding. matter of fact, my surgeon put one of my new band scars right on top of the old gallbladder scar to hide it (my GB scar is nasty). Dont worry.

I had laparascopic gallbladder surgery in '97 and my doc didn't have any problems with working around those scars. In fact he took a look to see if he could "re-use" any of the sites so I'd have less scars on my belly, but they weren't in the right places.

I'm sure you'll be just fine!