Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting a new job. Is it right to ask specifics about benefits?

Hi.

I have recently moved across state to move with family and attend a new school to finish my nursing degree.

I am a certified nursing assistant and while I was not actively seeking full time employment, I think I am going to now for insurance purposes. I originally intended to work for an agency and pick up a few days a week around my school schedule. Agencies normally have below average insurance so I do not think that is the right route.

There are more than a few places hiring for a CNA so I was wondering would it be appropriate to ask specific questions about insurance prior or during an interview?

I am also wondering if places like long term care facilities/nursing homes insurance would cover weight loss surgery? My friend works for a nursing home but her facility is owned by her county so she is a county/government employee.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, DO ask about benefits. They are part of your compensation, so you have evry bit as much reason to ask about them as you would salary.

I might not, though, ask about WLS specifically, because it MIGHT appear that you are just going to work for THAT. I would find out what your insurance options are with the company, and then after your interview do some research privately and find out if you would covered for WLS with the insurance they offer.

HH

I would ask for a copy of their Plan Document. Just knowing the insurance they offer will not tell you the benefits. An employer can opt to exclude WLS from most any insurance plan. (For example, it might be very common to have XYZ Insurance cover WLS but your company might exclude WLS because they don't want to pay for that coverage.)

I agree with the previous poster, about the plan document. Some have it readily available, and some may not, though. The typical info they give you will not advise you if they have a WLS exclusion on the plan. You can also ask HR for their group number and call the insurance company yourself for specifics.

You shouldn't ask these questions until you have a job offer though.

Just want to ditto what the previous poster said. Wait until you have the job offer, then ask to review the plan documents before you accept.

I wouldn't wait for the job offer. As someone else said, the benefits are part of your compensation and by all means are just as important as the wage they are offering you. You are a marketable employee and have the right to ask. I interviewed for a position recently and asked about the benefits in the interview. The company was more than happy to provide me with a summary document about the different insurances they offer. It included a phone number for the insurance company. I called that number and told the insurance carrier that I had specific questions related to this company's coverage, as I was considering employment with them. I found out that WLS is not a covered benefit, so I decided not to take the position, in case I ran into problems in the future with my band. Good luck to you and certainly don't hesitate to ask about your benefits! :)