Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help please? liquid coming up at night

If you have a small amount of Fluid removed you may find relief. I had to have all my fluid removed and an upper GI done to make sure I didn't have any ulcers in my esophagus and when it was shown that all was okay my Dr started to slowly refill the band. I started to get heartburn after just a small fill and when he put in my last fill I started the fluid coming up again at night. But I've learned how to control it. I take Prilosec twice a day (just until I reach my goal) and I don't eat or drink anything after 7pm (the earlier I eat dinner the better) I've also found that if I limit the size of my portions I do better also. I keep a cup on my nightstand in case I feel the fluid coming up I can spit it into the cup. It's a hassle but the last few weeks I have had many nights where I had slept thru with no incidents since I've started watching portion sizes. Good luck to you, I hope this helps.

Thanks to everyone who's posted.

I"m fighting the reflux, too. That's what has me up and posting at 1 AM!! But I was SO tired of being stuck at the same number on the scales for over a year when I'm still a long way from GOAL.

I'm willing to live on liquids-only if I have to. I just wish they'd stay inside me!!! But even sleeping sitting up, I'm still awakened several times a night with liquids in my mouth....whether I ate 3 hours before bedtime or six!!!

Argh!!!

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this site, but was banded in Feb 08. I have had this reflux issue in the past and am experiencing it again! The first time I had it, I had numerous upper GI's, a scope test of my esophagus and a test to check my gall bladder and all was ok. The Dr unfilled and all was corrected.

A few months later I started having problems vomiting again and an upper GI showed a small slip. The band was also rotated a bit instead of sitting at an angle, which was obstructing the opening to my stomach. My Dr removed all the Fluid and in a few weeks my stomach had corrected itself and I no longer had the protrusion (slip).

Since then, he has been slowly filling my band again. I have an APL 10 cc band and only had 2.5 cc in the band when he filled me another .5cc. I immediately started having problems, vomiting and having acid reflux again. I went back to the Dr immediately and he did another upper GI to make sure it wasn't a hernia. He removed .25cc and I was fine for about a week, but now find myself coughing and choking and vomiting in the middle of the night again. I have put myself on liquids again, because I know my stomach is swollen from all the vomiting.

I have talked to my doctor about another surgery. He has also told me about patients who have had scar tissue all the way around the band that ultimately obstructs the passageway as it continues to grow. I'm beginning to think this is my problem, since everything else has been pretty much ruled out. I'm not sure what to do at this point? Keep getting unfills until there is nothing left, or go ahead with another surgery?

Any suggestions before my next appt on July 1st?

I am so glad I found this post, I have been having trouble since April of this year. I was banded in Jan of 08 with a 138lb loss.

I took vacation in April, on the plane on the way there, I felt like a tight sensation. when I landed I went to drink coffie,, threw it up.. that night,, I coughed all night. Woke up in the morning, with no voice. I went on liquid diet mode.. for 3 days while miles and miles away from home. called to get appointment at surgeon office as soon as I landed home. they took out some fill.

was better for a while, gained about 15 lbs, went to have a fill, and have not been the same since.

I have had the coughing, stuff running out of nose and mouth during sleep. sitting up in chair did not help.

I have been to General Practioner, My ear, nose and throat dr. talked to er drs at work.. all thought it was sinuses........

fianlly at the end of my rope I called my surgeons office, talked to nurse, she said it sounded like esophagitis, and went in for slight unfill,,, took care of it, they suggested having scope done.. did that. Band fine, but Esophagas was enflamed, and irritated. gave me meds.

They say,,,,,, I was tight, food was sitting at the top of stomach, causing it to irritate my esophasus. thus,,, causing acid reflex .

It has been a roller coaster for the last 5 months,,, tired of not being able to sleep.. no problem eating.. restriction ok. I have just not understood it all.

so glad I am not the only one with these issues. been made to feel I am doing something wrong, but yet they can not tell me what......

another unfil last week, after nurse practitioner put in WAY to much fill two and a half weeks ago.

Paid way to much money for the band, and way to much effort on my part to gain it all back,,, it has to work.

thanks for listening.

oh my... not at that weight any more..

I am sitting at 165

Hi Wow, Thanks for your comment. I am still suffering from reflux. I had the same problem as you did the beginning of last year. They removed all my fill and I stayed that way for months until they could fit me in for a scope test. The test showed nothing so the doctor slowly refilled me. I am not as full as originally and I don't really have the right restriction but once I got to this point I had to start taking Prilosec again. I lost a little weight but over the last few months I've gained back 5 pounds. I admit I am eating larger portions and snacking between meals. I am so angry at myself for this. Once I reached my 2 year anniversary with the band they pretty much sent me on my way. I guess I could go back and get a fill again but I already have heartburn during the day and I am constantly popping Tums to alleviate the pain. I love the band but I don't understand why some of us have this problem.

Hi Wow, Thanks for your comment. I am still suffering from reflux. I had the same problem as you did the beginning of last year. They removed all my fill and I stayed that way for months until they could fit me in for a scope test. The test showed nothing so the doctor slowly refilled me. I am not as full as originally and I don't really have the right restriction but once I got to this point I had to start taking Prilosec again. I lost a little weight but over the last few months I've gained back 5 pounds. I admit I am eating larger portions and snacking between meals. I am so angry at myself for this. Once I reached my 2 year anniversary with the band they pretty much sent me on my way. I guess I could go back and get a fill again but I already have heartburn during the day and I am constantly popping Tums to alleviate the pain. I love the band but I don't understand why some of us have this problem. Also, I now have to sleep with 3 pillows behind me so I am on an incline. My husband hates this but what can I do?

I was banded two years ago and have not had any problems at all. I've only had two fills which were both within 6 months of my surgery. Over the last 4 months I have started experiencing what I believe to be reflux at night while I am sleeping. Initially, it seemed to worsen around the time of my period but now it has been the last 8 nights in a row. I wake up and feel like I am choking. My band has also become noisier at night and in the mornings when layihg down. I have varied what and when I eat and over the last week it has not make any improvement. I am fine while awake. Any soluteions?? please help. I am in Arizona and had my surgery in Mexico so I don't even know a Dr. but I need a good nights sleep. thanks for your help!!

I had this coming up at night and started coughing like I was drowning. Then the reflus started - have this checked out. I thought I needed an unfill but decided it was alright after I cut to fluids etc but now 4 months later I have eroded! Do something like the endoscope procedure. Good Luck

I am having the same problem, only my acid reflux as turned into vomiting only at night too. I think the acid reflux has aspirated into my lungs causing pneumonia. I just got out of the hospital. The pnemonia doesn't want to go away. I'm not sure what to do. Did you get any help yet?

Hi Maddybrat

I was aspirating too. The doctor wanted me to take Prilosec twice a day and after hearing how it can cause your body not to absorb Calcium I only took one a day. I make sure I eat dinner by 6pm and don't eat or drink anything after that time. Also I prop pillows behind me in bed and basically sleep sitting up. That seems to have done the trick. Before I started sleeping this way I would wake myself up coughing at night and the next day I would feel the Fluid in my lungs and I felt terrible. Since I've been sleeping propped up I sleep better and only have an occasional Fluid come into my mouth (like a burp) so I keep a cup on my nightstand to spit it into. Sounds gross doesn't it? But it works for me. If I mention it to the doctor he will want to take some of the saline out of my band. I haven't had a fill in 7 months and I would like a tiny fill to be where I was originally but I am afraid I will regret it so I don't ask for a fill. Good luck to you, I hope things get better for you.

Kathy

Edited by wishin4
need to add something