Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to start running...need encouragement

Go Bill!

R

Next I'm going to map out a course that includes some hills near my home:

What are you using to map out your running courses? I'm using a site walked walkjogrun.net and its pretty helpful.

Hi Bill!

I use Prevention.com's MyWalkingMaps feature - I used it to map out the walks I do at work and around my neighborhood.

Sometimes it can be a bit klugey, especially when you don't follow the exact same streets on an out-and-back trip, but I can make it work. For instance, my home-based 5k is out toward our local hospital, around in a loop, and finishes on the same street as I start on - mapping that is a bit of a challenge, but once you do it, you can save the route.

I even added typical walk routes around the Yale campus where I walk so others can see them and use them. It's a pretty neat feature.

I'm going to check out walkjogrun.net, though...sounds like a great alternative if I have problems with MyWalkingMaps.

Thanks for the resource! :thumbup:

Ok i just found this thread, and i am so glad i did since i just got a treadmill, i have never exercised a day in my life, and i really wanted some encouragement to start with my walking/ running, which i never thought i would be able to run, but seeing all of these posts makes me believe that i can, (AND I WILL). So i am going to try out the C25K so wish me luck, im starting tonight when i get off of work.

sooooooo excited:tt2:

Welcome Mels. If you start the program now, you will be doing 5ks in no time. I've found it is helpful to have goals and objectives so I almost always am signed for at least one upcoming race. If you go to active.com you can find one in your area and have it as an objective. For me its next Saturday night, a 10k and kicking the behind of my younger skinnier friend along with several of my wife's co workers. After that a 10k on THanksgiving day.

Welcome Mels. If you start the program now, you will be doing 5ks in no time. I've found it is helpful to have goals and objectives so I almost always am signed for at least one upcoming race. If you go to active.com you can find one in your area and have it as an objective. For me its next Saturday night, a 10k and kicking the behind of my younger skinnier friend along with several of my wife's co workers. After that a 10k on THanksgiving day.

That sounds great bill, and thanks for the encouragement, I think I might try that, Im gonna see if I can find a race in my area in about 3 months, i hope that will give me enough time. :drool:

Hi Mels,

Welcome to the thread!

I used the C25K to prepare for my recent 5k run - around the middle of October. I took a little more than 9 weeks to do the program - some weeks I repeated when I felt I wasn't ready to move on.

It's a great program - I feel it prepared me very well for my first 5k. Though my course was mixed (hills, rocks, trees and mud, oh my!) I still feel I did well. Ran 3 miles today in my best time ever - feeling very good about that!

I definately recommend running - it has helped me to reshape my body and helped take off a few more pounds. If I was better about my eating (going through a rough patch with eating right now) I'd probably be at my goal weight by now.

I would also highly recommend BillOH's advice - he's very helpful and encouraging, while continuing to push us (and himself).

Happy to see you here - you're going to love running!:w00t:

What a weekend I had. My 4th 10k was scheduled for Sunday, but due to weather and work, I wasn't able to run the miles I wanted to during the week. Normally I don't run the day before a race, but I thought if I ran a slow relaxing 10k on Saturday it would help me on Sunday. I know better! Well, a relaxing 10k run on Saturday didn't happen. I was running on a bike path that I like, 3.1 miles down, and 3.1 miles back. TMI ALERT! Part way down, I was feeling nature's call. Now, I'm a man, so we are not talking the quick dash behind a tree and keep going. I wouldn't even mention that. Ok, we are clear what I'm talking about right? At the 3 mile point is a soccer field and a port-a-john. When I hit it, I saw a lady going in so I continued to the turn around figuring to hit it on the way back. On the way back it was occupied by a bunch of brat kids who wouldn't come out so I went on my way with a new urgency knowing there were facilities at the part where I started. So I ran with more urgency than I intended, finishing 10k in 49:59, a personal best. I think that wore me out for Sunday where I ran a 50:09. Sunday's race was more of a trail run than a road race, but it was fun, I still managed to beat my friend and my wife's co workers.

Okay so i started on my treadmill last week, i have not been able to follow the c25k, so i am doing what i can. please give your opinions and recomendations as you see fit.

my first day on the treadmill i did 20 min, could only do one stint of running, but walked very fast for the remainder of the time, then second day did the same, and my third day i added one more stint of running.

now last night was my 4 day on my treadmill, and i did 2 miles in 45 min, with about 3 small sprints mixed in, am i on the right track or do i need to step up my game or what, i am trying hard i really am and i do not want to hurt myself, which my feet are really killing me today, lol, i guess i need some better sneaks.

i hope i am doing ok please let me know what i can do better!!!:tongue2:

Okay so i started on my treadmill last week, i have not been able to follow the c25k, so i am doing what i can. please give your opinions and recomendations as you see fit.

my first day on the treadmill i did 20 min, could only do one stint of running, but walked very fast for the remainder of the time, then second day did the same, and my third day i added one more stint of running.

now last night was my 4 day on my treadmill, and i did 2 miles in 45 min, with about 3 small sprints mixed in, am i on the right track or do i need to step up my game or what, i am trying hard i really am and i do not want to hurt myself, which my feet are really killing me today, lol, i guess i need some better sneaks.

i hope i am doing ok please let me know what i can do better!!!:tongue2:

I run on the treadmill, That is where I started also on the treadmill...haven't moved outside yet still nervous about the outside.

This is what I was told once by a trainer, the speed that is your fastest walk, that is the speed before you actually have to run...that fast walking speed is the speed you should be jogging at, that way if you need a walking break you can still walk it. As you get stronger, you will be able to up your speed to a new faster walking speed...it's just a progress. Oh and remember to breathe, breathing right also helps. My personal favorite is my ipod music also because music tempo helps. But just remember to just do the best you can, because that's all that matters.

Edited by confused

Mels,

I think Confused is on the right track. You mentioned sprints, that might be a matter of what you call sprints, but let me ask what speed you set the treadmill to for fast walk, and at what speed to you perceive that you are beginning to run? I would do a fast walk and switch to the speed at which you barely feel like you are running and then work on extending the time that you are running. Once you get to the point you are running the 3 miles of a 5k without walking then think about speeding up.

Confused is dead on about the breathing. I've found on long runs if I take some very slow deep breathes it can boost my energy level. Also by running at that slower speed you can think about trying to run relaxed, your legs are doing all the work, think about relaxing your arms and shoulders and keep breathing.

what i considered a fast walk, is 3.0 and honestly im not sure how fast i was going when i was running, cause i switched my view to my clock so i could time my run for 60 sec. Every now and then i would drop down to like 2.5-2.7 to give myself a little break. and i am definitly paying attention to my breathing, that is one of the main things i think about.

what i considered a fast walk, is 3.0 and honestly im not sure how fast i was going when i was running, cause i switched my view to my clock so i could time my run for 60 sec. Every now and then i would drop down to like 2.5-2.7 to give myself a little break. and i am definitly paying attention to my breathing, that is one of the main things i think about.

I would run/jog at that 3.0 until you feel like your able to up the speed. But at that speed you should be able to run continously, nonstop. After being able to do that for a while then you should turn up your speed. That's what I was told, and that's how I've been doing it myself. Not intervels are a different story those are sprints and I myself am not a sprinter, I can but I don't like them.

Hi Everyone! :smile:

Hanging in there with my running...it's gotten colder, so I don't go as often, but I'm still out there! Ran Sunday morning in honor of World Run Day, did 3 miles, bettered my last time, so I'm feeling pretty good.

Still walking regularly to keep my mileage up...funny - I still think I walk faster than I run, but running definately burns more calories.

Mels423 - you've gotten great advice from BillOH and Confused - I agree that once you get comfortable at a certain speed, then you should move to a faster pace. Don't think you have to do it too fast - another member of the forum, Jachut, who runs a LOT, posted that your "wind" capacity may increase faster than your body's ability to withstand the relative "pounding" of running, so while you may feel you can go faster or longer, you should let your body catch up to your lungs to avoid injury.

I'm definately going faster, and no injuries, so I think I'm doing okay. Still shaping up, but not a lot of weight loss...kinda stalled right now. I started running outside, and funny enough, I'm nervous about using a treadmill! :tongue_smilie:

I guess you can talk yourself into being nervous about anything...:unsure: Sounds like you are on a good track though...just keep going! :lol:

ok so last night i did an entire hour, and i did a little over 3 miles about 3.25 miles, i think i pushed myself to far though. I was feeling some rubbing on my foot the last few nights, and then last night i think i over compensated by leaning towards the other side of my foot and now it hurts sooooo bad, i think i will give myself a rest tonight, i did 4 nights in a row so i think 1 night of rest wont hurt, and hopefully that will give my foot time to feel better.

And i am kinda upset cause since i started useing the treadmill i have gained weight, not lost, im very sad about this, not sure what to do because i have been eating right.:biggrin:

ok so last night i did an entire hour, and i did a little over 3 miles about 3.25 miles, i think i pushed myself to far though. I was feeling some rubbing on my foot the last few nights, and then last night i think i over compensated by leaning towards the other side of my foot and now it hurts sooooo bad, i think i will give myself a rest tonight, i did 4 nights in a row so i think 1 night of rest wont hurt, and hopefully that will give my foot time to feel better.

And i am kinda upset cause since i started useing the treadmill i have gained weight, not lost, im very sad about this, not sure what to do because i have been eating right.:)

Hi Mels423! :biggrin:

I definately recommend some rest...I only run every other day - I average 3 days running per week (plus either Saturday or Sunday) and walk the other days. If you're changing your running gait / style because of pain that's a definate signal to change / stop what you are doing.

Sometimes when you first start working out, you will retain Water because of the muscle "injury"...don't worry too much - if you are eating properly, it will come back off.

Get your rest and don't aggravate that injury - I'd hate for you to be laid up for a week or more...after I ran my 5k, my right hip hurt when I changed from a sitting position to standing, so I took a week "off" from running, but did walk. Whatever I did eased up because I eased up - let the injury heal and you'll be back on the treadmill in no time! :(

Now, I'm not a doctor, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but...