Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to start running...need encouragement

Back again, y'all!:bored:

Ran without DH this morning (darn midnight shift!)...don't like going without my running partner, but oh well...

Did just over 2 miles - used the Week 6, Day 2 workout this morning - I did a slightly shorter warmup (started running before the audio cue) and finished my course a little behind the timer. I ended up walking about 4 blocks of the 2 mile course. I was pretty proud of myself!

Both knees were a little tender when I was done, and my left thigh needs some extra stretching, but I'm really happy I ran so far and for so long...tomorrow will be a "rest" day - just walking, and then I'll run again on Thursday and Saturday.

Happily moving onward - and my running just helped me get to Onederland!:smile2:

Happily moving onward - and my running just helped me get to Onederland!:bored:

Welcome, glad to add another neighbor here in Onederland.

I have a shoe question. I have Haglund's Deformity on my left foot (had it on my right but it's been fixed, but after all the complications, I'm really not willing to have another food surgery). Basically, Haglund's is a significant build-up of Calcium underneath the achilles tendon where it covers the heel and goes to the bottom of the heel where the tendon attaches.

My specific question: Is there a way/source to have the INSIDE of the back of my shoe made where I could truly run in it without getting huge blisters?

Cathy~I would go to a running store and have them do a fit to see if there is a shoe that would work!

Ebony~Onderland! Yeah! What an accomplishment. You are also doing great with the running.

I have been trying to fit in runs when I can during the week. It has been really hot this past week and it has been hard to get up high to the trails and be home in time to pick up DS. Trying to get some mileage in, but not happy with what I have been doing. Hoping it cools down soon so I can just run right after work!

Hi Runners / Woggers / Joggers and Walkers!

After my burst of enthusiasm and chutzpah in running the 2.5 mile course near my home, I've been nursing a sore left knee and a sore right hamstring for the past couple of days, so I've been power-walking.

My running partner (DH) is now off the midnight shift, so I'll have company tomorrow...I'm hoping that, plus some additional stretching, will help me continue my progress.

I've been continuing my powerwalks, and once I warm up, no problems. I think my soreness is the result of not stretching enough after my run / walk / wog, so I'll focus on that for the next few weeks to try and overcome the stiffness.

Still encouraged - there is a "Penguin 5K" coming up in mid-October in a nearby community, so that will likely be my next chance to achieve my goal and run an entire 5k.

Thanks for all the support and the accountability! :mad:

Hoping it cools down soon so I can just run right after work!

Noting that I am not a doctor, given how much you've lost, don't be afraid to run in a little heat, just shorten up the run, or slow down and take along a little Water. More heat = more calories burned.

I have a shoe question. I have Haglund's Deformity on my left foot (had it on my right but it's been fixed, but after all the complications, I'm really not willing to have another food surgery). Basically, Haglund's is a significant build-up of Calcium underneath the achilles tendon where it covers the heel and goes to the bottom of the heel where the tendon attaches.

My specific question: Is there a way/source to have the INSIDE of the back of my shoe made where I could truly run in it without getting huge blisters?

HAve you googled Haglnd's deformity and running shoe? When I was diagnosed with Morton't Nueroma it took me to a couple of webpages on New Balance's website and I took those to their store and was fitted with a pair that worked for me. Been a great running season so far.

Finished 5k #11 this morning in a 59 degree at times driving rain. Was within 4 seconds of my best time, but it seemed like I was carrying 5 pounds of wet clothing with me today. This was a huge crowd/Ovarian Cancer research benefit. Next week is a personal favorite charity for a cat shelter, that will be a much smaller event I'm sure.

Hi BillOH,

Congrats on your latest run! Sounds like you have really hit a good groove with your training and you know your capabilities well. I'm hoping to get there at some point...

My DH measured out the course I ran the other day in preparation for some weekend running, and found I had actually run 3 miles instead of 2.5! Amazing what a difference that made to ME, mentally. 3 miles seemed like such a BIG deal that I thought I might never make it there...well, I did!

I've signed up for a 5k in Mystic, CT in October. It will be my first formal race, and I'm going to work to run the entire distance, no matter what the terrain or the weather. If they have the race, I'm going to be there! Don't know if my DH will be able to be with me, it depends on his work schedule...

I'm committed to doing it though...it may be my last chance before the really cold weather sets in and snow hits the ground. Once that happens, I'm indoors until spring...I'll try winter running for 2010-2011! :seeya:

Just bought and am awaiting delivery of an elliptical trainer (not a big fancy gym unit, but a sturdy unit for home use), and I also have my rowing machine (that one is a gym machine - they upgraded and I got a really good deal on it, since my DH does maintenance for them). Between the two of them and some weight work, I should be good to go for the tough winter period, and then when Spring arrives, back onto the sidewalks and the street!

Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon, everyone! Homework calls and next week is finals week!:blushing:

I'm giving serious consideration to running a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks. Hard to believe 9 months ago I was technically obese and couldn't run 400 yards.

I'm giving serious consideration to running a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks. Hard to believe 9 months ago I was technically obese and couldn't run 400 yards.

Go for it, Bill! :)

You are an inspiration and a role model - YOU GO BOY!:thumbup:

Raining and cold this morning, so I'm going to take advantage of my elliptical trainer and do that as my workout today. 2 weeks until the Penguin 5k and I'm determined to keep up my training and be ready to run the entire thing.

Pounds lost are steady, but inches are changing all over - I'll take it! :) Want to lose about 20 more pounds, then maintain there and keep working out. Considering plastic surgery this year, but only if it fits into my timetable and my budget...

Have a great Saturday, everyone!

I wanted to share with you guys, I signed up for the Columbus Marathon 10/18! :thumbup: Ok, I'm actually running the 1/2 marathon, 13 miles. I am hoping to complete it in 2 hours. To put extra pressure on myself, I signed up with tweetmytime.com and it will send updates when I start the race, hit the 10k mark, and when I finish. (I swore I would never twitter) If you want to follow along my twitter account is billmccall614 . I'll let you know how it goes. I plan on running 20-30 miles in the next 6 days and then 3 days of rest before the race.

Bill you rock! I am so excited for you and yes, I will follow you on twitter! That is pretty cool that they are doing updates - how fun is that. I wish they would do that for marathons, my DH runs and it would be nice to know at what point he is so I know when and where to meet him along the course!

I need to get my fanny back out and running. Starting school back up has put a cramp in my motivation. It has been hard to get out to the trails, so I just need to give it up and hit the road!

DH and I are trying to get in a trail run today. We have the day off; had parent conferences yesterday evening, so we got the day! Yeah! We will try to run up high, but we have had snow, so not really sure where we will go until we head up the highway!

Hope everyone has a great run!

Hey Bill!

You definately rock! I agree with krtork - you are an inspiration!

I wanted to check in and let everyone know that I've officially "completed" the Couch-to-5k program. I ran 3 miles without stopping the past two running days (Tuesday and Thursday this week) and I couldn't be happier.

When I started this, I could NOT have run 3 blocks, let alone 3 miles. I could walk it, but not run it. Now I'm very comfortable running those 3 miles. I'm now working on speed - staying on pace with whatever music is playing on my iPhone, which is upbeat, steady-tempo stuff.

I'm curious - is there a program to take ya from a 5k to a 10k? I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that yet, but then, I wasn't ready to do a couch-to-5k a few months ago either!

My Penguin 5k is Saturday morning (a week from tomorrow) so I'll run either Tuesday/Thursday or Monday/Wednesday next week and take a day off before the race. I want to do well, and since it's my first one, I want to set myself up for success.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend! :thumbup:

Hey Bill!

I'm curious - is there a program to take ya from a 5k to a 10k?

I did the Nike program, "Just do it" Seriously, after 3 5ks I just signed up for the 10k and ran it. I took it easy with a steady pace and found it wasn't that much harder.

I ran 10 miles on Monday and 8 miles today. I may run 3 on Friday and then resting up for the 1/2 marathon on Sunday. Its supposed to be about 34 degrees at race time!