Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to start running...need encouragement

There is a podcast!! So cool! I will have to download it when I get home.

I am on the second week of the cto5k. I was surprised I was able to move on to it right away but I am not sure about the third week. 90 seconds at a time is a real challenge I don't see me handling 3 and 5 minute intervals yet.

As far as looking funny I have come to terms with that I mean I am shuffling almost 300 lbs forward in an awkward jog while puffing like a steam engine. I know I look funny.. I'm ok with that lol. I just wonder what the people who walk by me think when I am in my recovery walking beet faced and puffing lol. I want to say "you just missed it but I was running back there honest Im not so out of shape that walking did this to me.:blushing:"

5k # 5 this weekend. I'm lucky to live in a big enough metro area I could find one every week if I wanted to. We have been doing one every other weekend.

I'm pleased to say both my wife and I did new personal best in the 5k on the 4th. Partying later that day kept me from "onederland" but its coming soon.

Oh, yea, signed up for #6 for 7/18. Its getting addictive, limiting myself to one every 2 weeks. Having one on the schedule helps me stay motivated, which will help later this week when the heat and humidity return.

I am so glad I found this thread today. I have been thinking about running lately but like op I am scared of what others think. I have never run before (more like exercises) and I used to not be able to walk up the hill. My ankle hurts so bad from walking fast or steep hill. I am so afraid that while I am running, my ankles will burn again and I has to stopped and people will look at me.

I have been walking twice a day since I had the banned but it is not enough for me now to lose the weight. I cannot go to the gym since I have 3 kids under 4 and no family around to watch them. I think I just might start to run in the subdivision when the kids are asleep. (husband watch them of course).

Firs thing though, I need to get a good running shoe and a good sport bra. Any recommendation?

Alisa

Firs thing though, I need to get a good running shoe and a good sport bra. Any recommendation?

Alisa

As for the shoe :tongue_smilie: go to a shoe store and get fitted. I found out for years I had been buying the wrong size for years and it caused me problems. I am partial to New Balance brand, though I've had good luck with Brooks.

I'm going to run 4 miles tonight in 85 degree weather. Hopefully that means Onederland tomorrow morning.

I'm going to run 4 miles tonight in 85 degree weather. Hopefully that means Onederland tomorrow morning.

Way too hot! Hope you hit onederland! It is a great feeling! Great job on the 5Ks!

I am going to start training for a 10K trail race. I will start the week after next, after my tri, I am really excited. We will get out and see some new trails and I will be upping my mileage. Looks like it will be a fun group, we met last night. My DH is also in the group, but will be running with the 1/2 marathon group.

Have a great weekend!

Hey, question... what is this Couch to 5k program you guys are talking about? Is it a DVD or a meeting or what? Sounds interesting. I have never ever been a runner. But both of my daughters enjoy it so much, makes me wonder what I'm missing. Maybe something I could do with them. I'm afraid to start though, and I can't figure out why. I've always been clumsy, I think I'm afraid I would stumble over my feet & break something, lol.

But anyway, what is it?

(edited)- Ok, I realized there was more than one page to this thread and found the link that was posted earlier. My bad. You all are very inspiring!

Edited by CathyTamar

Congrats on just "doing it"!!!

I also want to run -- but as you can see by my ticker -- I am significantly larger than any of you.

Should I just wait until I'm a more normal size??

Actually, that is one of my goals. To be able to run - just really "run" - (and not jiggle and flip-flop like crazy of course!)

:smile:)

I just started running and I'm 258 lbs! it feels awesome and everyday I push further and further. And I do it at a gym where people look at me. I don't care, this is about me, my body, my goals. When I'm 150 and pounding on that treadmill they won't give me a second look. Unless of course they're starring b/c I'm so hott!!!

Another good idea is to join a running group. They have people in all levels that want to just get into shape or the people that are training for a marathon/half marathon. I am in a running group call ed Houston Fit, the parent company is USA Fit. Look them up online. They have walking groups and when you get in better shape you could move to the 5/1 group which is run for 5 minutes and walk for 1. I did my first half marathon on a 5/1 time and did very well. I finished the 13.1 miles in under 3 hours! I am now signed up for another half marathon in November and a full marathon in January 2010.

Never be afraid to try to start something new. I have never been a runner and when i started I was barely walking 30 minutes. Now i can run straight for 6 miles with no walking. Just remember it takes time and ALWAYS stay hydrated!!!

Good luck :-)

I DID IT! Yay~

Ok, so my hat is off to ALL of you that run for 60 secs or more at a time! I tried the Couch to 5k podcast yesterday. Let me tall ya, I cannot run for 60 secs straight! I thought I was dying, lol. So I kept at a fast walk & ran as much as I could. And I didnt even trip over my feet like I thought I would. My thigh muscles are so sore today. Good thing it says take a day in between. Ok, so maybe tomorrow I can do 60 secs... we'll see. Try try again. I ran thru the neighborhood & didnt care, tried to remember what everybody said on here. A dog chased me... hahahaha. He wasnt vicious.

CONGRATS!!! Just remember it takes time to build up the stamina to run for long periods of time. Don't give up! You will do great.

Keep with it! When I started it I was like you describe. I'm now on week 8 (after 10 actual weeks) and I'm running for 30 minutes straight! Just keep with it. It works! Pete

I DID IT! Yay~

Ok, so my hat is off to ALL of you that run for 60 secs or more at a time! I tried the Couch to 5k podcast yesterday. Let me tall ya, I cannot run for 60 secs straight! QUOTE]

just keep at it! I just set it in my mind I will 5-10 seconds further each time. As long as it's gradual improvement, it's improvement!!!

There is a podcast!! So cool! I will have to download it when I get home.

I am on the second week of the cto5k. I was surprised I was able to move on to it right away but I am not sure about the third week. 90 seconds at a time is a real challenge I don't see me handling 3 and 5 minute intervals yet.

As far as looking funny I have come to terms with that I mean I am shuffling almost 300 lbs forward in an awkward jog while puffing like a steam engine. I know I look funny.. I'm ok with that lol. I just wonder what the people who walk by me think when I am in my recovery walking beet faced and puffing lol. I want to say "you just missed it but I was running back there honest Im not so out of shape that walking did this to me.:blushing:"

Lol, i can think of quite a few occasions when I wanted to say that to someone I passed in the street.

Even now! I do some runs as interval style training and I will sprint as hard as I can for say 3 minutes and then stop to walk and recover. I must look like I'm REALLY out of shape during those recovery walks.

I also tend to hold my breath and speed up when I pass people, then I have to stop coz I'm seeing stars!