Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to start running...need encouragement

Malissa, you can do it! Small steps first, but you can work your way up to it! If you haven't worked out in awhile, you might want to check in with your doctor first, just to get a thumbs up. BillOh, that's amazing, what great stories and what great success! Are any of you tracking your daily runs or anything? My friend Fran runs marathons (!) and she tracks her workouts. I have been trying it out online through my HealthVault account but I've got to get into a groove. I like seeing my progress, but I have to admit I get distracted and busy. One more thing to do on days when just doing anything is the goal! I am so inspired by all of your stories. Can't wait to hear more!:thumbdown:

Great JOB!!!!!:thumbdown:

Thanks, I reduced the size of the photo, sorry about that. Tonight is a 5k that I hope adds a lift to a lousy day. This will be the last 5k of my 40s. Maybe next time I can win a prize in the over 50 group.

Well, the 5K went great, which will help my mood from what was turning in to a bad weekend. My previous best was 28:57. Tonight 26:20. I'm looking forward to see how that would hold up against other 50+ year olds. (50 on Sunday)

Oh, my bypass wife (-120) finished the entire 5k running the whole way. She had never run more than 1.5 miles before.

Started the first day of my 50's (Yes, that is a hint for recognition) with a 2.4 mile run through the hood. Running in the morning is great, no traffic to deal with and for the most part, no people. The only person I saw was my brother in law Jim out watering his flowers. Not happy about canceling the birthday party I have been looking forward to for years. My mom's sister died, so that would have taken a 3rd of the guest away.

I wanted to start running too. How do i get the podcast couch to 5k? I walk 2-3 miles every other day and would like to start running to increase weightloss.

I'm actually looking forward to getting up at 6:30am on a Saturday for 5K #4. My first one at 50 years old. Another good cause, a benefit for the families of fallen law enforcement officers.

The rain stopped and I got up and ran week 2 of my couch to 5k yesterday and this morning. I am feeling stronger with each session and I have completly gotten over my "what if someone sees me running" fear. I run with complete confidence now.

Good Luck Billoh running in your next 5K.

Edited by Claudine1975

Claudine, I am glad that you are over the fear - you are on your way! Running is such a great release, I really get cranky when I miss my runs!

BillOh, Congrats on turning 50! Must feel great to hit that milestone and be a healthier you! Good luck with the 5K, you are rockin' it with great times! I need to get my fanny out and moving, have a 5K next weekend and don't feel ready for it. I may post my slowest time yet - argh!

Off to cardio/strength training and putting in a run or bike ride this evening!

Thanks KR. On the subject of running and encourgement, I got some more today.

over50b.jpg

6 months ago, I couldn't run 1/4 mile.

Claudine-

I'm also over my "what if someone sees me".

Matter of fact, one of the neighbors did a double take today when they saw me running. I just looked the other way - lol.

Congrats on moving to week 2! I'm still on week 1 because I'm too scared I can't do week 2. I'm literally out of breath and I know I shouldn't be.

Did you do week 1 for just the one week?

Claudine-

. I'm literally out of breath and I know I shouldn't be.

Did you do week 1 for just the one week?

Many times during running your so busy just trying to "make it" you can forget to breath or breath shallow. Every so often during your run, take as deep a breath as you can. It can be amazing how your energy returns.

Malissa,

I am in no rush to finish the program in a certain about of time. I stayed on week 1 until I was comfortable running. I will be on week 2 for at least another week. There are killer hills in my neighborhood and I really want to make sure I am ready to move.

I stay on a "week" for about 2 weeks and then I am ready to move on. Breathing gets better with time and practice.

I've been looking and for the 4th of July weekend there are 5K races everywhere. My experience with them is that there are a lot of people at every experience level and everyone has a good time. Maybe you should go for it this weekend! Lots of people run/walk or just walk, and you still get the T-shirt.