Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much to have band removed?

Hi bandsters, does anyone have a ballpark figure on the cost of having the band removed?

Without going into personal reasons, I'm thinking about it (just thinking) and would like to know how much it would cost.

I am in the SF Bay Area, in case that makes a difference for the going rate.

Thanks!

Well, insurance won't cover removal unless there is a medical necessity (and still it might not if it didn't cover placing it in the first place). That said, My surgery to have the band put it was $15,000 so that would be a ballpark number to start with. Can't fathom removing it unless it's causing you problems because you'll end up regaining everything you've lost but good luck with your decision.

The previous poster had a rather presumptuous response if I do say so myself.

Perhaps SunsetWatcher hasn't lost anything. Did you think of that? So saying he/she would "gain back everything" may not even apply here. Maybe nothing has been lost.

Perhaps SunsetWatcher has lost a lot, and had trouble with the band...NOT EVERYBODY gains all the weight back.

Seriously. How rude. :)

SunsetWatcher: The best way to find out is only by contacting your insurance company directly and they can give you a figure...IF it is covered at all. Unless it is a medical necessity, it's typically not covered at all. Therefore it would be completely out of pocket and require a loan, unless you have the funds available to you already. Good luck with your research.

I didn't think parrothead was being rude. I am still amazed at how easily things are misconstrued and how quickly things can deteriorate into some kind of attack on these boards.

Oh the joys of the internet and electronic communication!

There is a section on this forum called "Life after lap band removal" I've not read all of the posts, but I'd be willing to bet there will be a few threads about it as well as some threads that may help you with your decision.

elcee-----No, you're the poo-poo head!

?????

I don't believe that name calling is either necessary or justified. In fact its pretty juvenile. However it does prove my point that it doesn't take long for things to deteriorate .

Hope you have a fabulous day:smile2:

?????

I don't believe that name calling is either necessary or justified. In fact its pretty juvenile. However it does prove my point that it doesn't take long for things to deteriorate .

Hope you have a fabulous day:smile2:

it was my way of agreeing with you by being superduper juvenile

Seriously, you can't say good morning on this board without someone taking it the wrong way

OK No probs.

I agree people get upset over the strangest things. A thread starts off with one thing and then ends up in an all out................

Not being able to see a persons face, body language etc makes a post easy to misconstrue.

I wasn't misconstruing anything. Her words were rude. Flat out. What she said was a direct statement presented as a fact. No, not everybody gains all their weight back. However, by saying exactly this: "Can't fathom removing it unless it's causing you problems because you'll end up regaining everything you've lost" indicates that she knows exactly what will happen. "You'll" means "YOU WILL".

It was a snide comment. I wasn't calling names. Saying somebody made a rude comment is not me performing a "juvenile" name-call. I did not call her any childish names. It's a common term.

Please...get serious. It only became drama when somebody else came along and pointed fingers at my post and started dancing around it. I have a right to defend somebody's post, and I have the right to call somebody out when I think they are being rude. That's all it was. I wasn't crying in my Cheerios or having an attack over it.

SunsetWatcher,

Im sure when you posted that question that you where just thrilled to see that you got nothing for the most part but unhelpful chatter about rudeness and name calling.

I would have to agree Parrothead Cathy on finding a price to have the band removed by contacting your insurance or doc who put the band in and also with Donnaivna on going to the life after lap-band removal threads. I do know someone who has had their band removed and it cost about the same amout as it did to have it put in. She also paid out of pocket for both surgeries, no insureance was used.

Hope this helps more that the debate over the name calling and disscustion of what is or is not considered rude or taken wronge.

Edited by ChanginMyStars
adding to reply

Chapter 1 in How to Dissuade New Forum Members from Coming Back

**sigh**

There is a section on this forum called "Life after lap band removal" ... I'd be willing to bet there will be a few threads about it

Very useful suggestion, I'll post my question there, thanks.

OK No probs.

I agree people get upset over the strangest things. A thread starts off with one thing and then ends up in an all out................

Not being able to see a persons face, body language etc makes a post easy to misconstrue.

You are not the board police, perhaps leave moderating up to the mods?

To the OP... There is a good chance of getting your insurance to remove it. You just have to supply the right documentation. Are you a newbie that is going through buyer's remorse by any chance? If you have been banded less than a couple of months please know it is completely normal go have a desire to have it removed.

As to your question, depends on insurance and location. If you have insurance you should be able to get it removed. Then it is a matter of copays.

If you are cash pay then in the US the hospital/surgeons fees are about the same as placing the band less $4K for the hospital cost of the actual band.

In Mexico it is $5K.

So next timeI get called a poo-poo head I should just ignore it?

I thought I had the right to say that this was unacceptable and I thought I did it in a non argumentative way.

I would have been happy had one of the moderators said this comment was unacceptable but they didn't so I did it myself.