Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

did you happen to read that post?

where the guy's band slipped after 6 weeks? Dr. told him he was allergic to the silicone.

Edited by Oregondaisy

I would think that after 6 weeks of banding it was more than likely an error of the doctor. I think ppl are still getting banded bc they don't care for the other options out there. I am very pleased with my band, I have no negitive side effects, I am in control of my weight loss, I have had no cutting or rerouting of any of my insides. With any surgery there are risks, the band may not be for everyone, but neither is the sleeve or bypass. It is an educated decision made by many many men and women. I would stand by my decision to get the band over any other method I have researched thus far.

Im glad to see you have had sucess with the choice u made too!

amy

where the guy's band slipped after 6 weeks? Dr. told him he was allergic to the silicone.

QUOTE]

I agree. . . I have 7 days until this wretched band is out of my body, and I'll be so relieved to not be in pain and constant worry that it's going to rip even more.

Edited by Oregondaisy

A huge consideration is skill level and money. Placing a band is relatively easy on the skill level, takes little time, and pays well. Surgeons are in business to make money. If they are not able to perform the bypass, the VSG, or other complicated techniques, it makes $ sense to suggest the procedure they know. Of course, not all surgeons lack morals and ethics.

Dr. told him he was allergic to the silicone.

Doctor sounds like an idiot. :smile:

Oh come on!

That's a bit like me saying that I know a cousin's friend's aunt who had a sleeve done by a visiting Tanzanian witch doctor and died, so the sleeve is rubbish and nobody should have it done.

Sounds like the doctor's a dickhead and probably didnt even put the thing in properly in the first place. Either that or told the patient he'd be right to go straight back to KFC.

I understand that the band may not work for everyone but there is no need to bash the band or the doctors that place them in patients. We all share a common problem here and that is being overweight and getting surgery to HELP us lose the weight. The people who have had the sleeve seem to be very overbearing and so negative about the band. So the band didn't work for you, that does not mean it will not work for others. Please remember that you are on a forum where the majority here have a band and are happy. Please try to be more considerate and tolerate of other people's choices of weight loss method.

I understand that the band may not work for everyone but there is no need to bash the band or the doctors that place them in patients. We all share a common problem here and that is being overweight and getting surgery to HELP us lose the weight. The people who have had the sleeve seem to be very overbearing and so negative about the band. So the band didn't work for you, that does not mean it will not work for others. Please remember that you are on a forum where the majority here have a band and are happy. Please try to be more considerate and tolerate of other people's choices of weight loss method.

Not to be rude but, are you aware that you're posting in the VSG section? Many of us have had bands and DO acknowledge that they work for a lot of people. Because so many people ARE having problems with the band and electing to revise to a sleeve, and because others are choosing the sleeve as their first weight loss surgery, this VSG section was created.

You are correct, this is a band board. In the very near future, the sleeve board will be opening. That board will have an "other surgery" section as well to allow banded people to post should they so desire.

Edited by MacMadame

I agree, us sleevers are only trying to make people aware of their choices ...research your doctor whether its for VSG or lapband...if the doctor is an idiot then everyone needs to be made aware...why should someone else suffer problems or worse to be a nice person. Facts are facts....protect yourself and research your doctor...someone posted just because a person becomes a doctor doesn't mean they know what they're doing...very true statement.

I understand that the band may not work for everyone but there is no need to bash the band or the doctors that place them in patients.

There is definitely a need to bash a doctor who tells a patient that they slipped their band after a week because they were "allergic" to it. That doctor is either a liar or incompetent or both and people should know who he (or she) is so they don't go to them!

Oh come on!

That's a bit like me saying that I know a cousin's friend's aunt who had a sleeve done by a visiting Tanzanian witch doctor and died, so the sleeve is rubbish and nobody should have it done.

Sounds like the doctor's a dickhead and probably didnt even put the thing in properly in the first place. Either that or told the patient he'd be right to go straight back to KFC.

Too be fair, I heard it was a Dwarf, Tanzanian witch doctor, and the guy didn't die but did grow a second head.

Oh and there was a bloody hook on his car door handle when he left the hospital.

Not to be rude but, are you aware that you're posting in the VSG section? Many of us have had bands and DO acknowledge that they work for a lot of people. Because so many people ARE having problems with the band and electing to revise to a sleeve, and because others are choosing the sleeve as their first weight loss surgery, this VSG section was created.

You are correct, this is a band board. In the very near future, the sleeve board will be opening. That board will have an "other surgery" section as well to allow banded people to post should they so desire.

I was aware of where this post was. I was just very offended by the comment "Honestly, I don't understand why people are still getting bands." I took quite personally. I think you would have also if I said the same thing about sleeves and the Bypass. I felt like my choice to get the band was silly and done because insurance would pay for it. I got the band as a tool to help me lose weight. I felt that was the best option for me.

I have no issues with anybody posting anywhere regardless of the surgery option you choose. People who had a bad experience with the band should share and caution others but don't bash the choice of getting and staying banded.

I had the band for 3 years and, if I didn't have such a horrible time with it, would still have it today. If you read more threads, you'll see where the current complication rates were posted for people with bands. Maybe that's what the poster was referring to.

At any rate, we're all in search of a healthy weight and chose the most appropriate weight loss option for ourselves. Some of us HAD to revise from a band to another option in order to preserve our health.

Its the "I dont understand why people are still getting bands" that prompted me to post too.

People are still getting bands because they have a choice. We should be glad for that choice. I have no problem with people who've had bad experiences posting throughout this entire forum. Lets face it the band has not turned out quite to be what theyd' have hoped, it has a lot of problems and I'm glad to know more about the alternatives. But lets keep it realistic and un-emotional. The banded folk here are not all complete idiots who have made an inferior choice.

I know this is the VSG forum and all, but it gets tired. Most posts are considered and informative but that was just derisive and I'd expect better from a moderator. It wasnt about the doctor it was a remark about idiots who choose banding.

Edited by Jachut