Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Make The Decision??

Last Friday I went to my primary physician to begin my six month dietary program overseen by a dr. I was shocked to find out he would not support my decision to get the LapBand because he doesn't think it works but that he would support me getting the gastro. This is coming from a man who in the past has told me to start taking my dog for a walk and to join WW.

I really like him as my primary physician, I've gone to him for the past ten years. I don't need a referal so I don't have to take his recommendation but if I want to continue seeing him, it might be in my best interest.

I am attending my free consultation with a bariatric dr. this Friday so I'm going to go in with an open mind and listen and ask questions about both surgeries. I had my head set on the LapBand because it's less evasive and recoop time is shorter. I understand it is only a tool and not a miracle. I am afraid of the side effects of the gastro and to me it seems like it's to risky, you have to take meds for the remainder of your life which is one reason I want to loose weight is to get off the meds I'm on now.

Any advice on making the decision? I'm 5'5, 300 lbs with high blood pressure and arthritic knees. Even with the weight I'm still able to get around fine (with knee pain) I can keep up with my skinny friends, I just pay for it in the evening when I sit down! :crying:

You know I don't get why so many doctors are against certain weight loss surgeries - A doctor usually wants the best for his patient and overall for the patient to be in the best health so I honest to god don't know why they judge it so much - I mean yes once you get skinny you're obviously going to not need to go to the doctors as much for certain things but seriously?

If you don't need a referral for the actual process maybe just find another doctor for the 6month evaluation and then once that's over go back to him?

I was 288 with same health problems. My primary said same thing. Even tried to write a name down on one of his business cards of 'some other doc' I should call for the gb. It was all I could do to not loose it. I was informing him out of courtesy.

Fastforward:

HE EATS CROW EVERYTIME I GO SEE HIM!!!! now he a huge supporter!:crying:

Girl do the lapband GB will always be there.

I had a PCP that I didn't really like and asked for a referral. His nurse referred me to another Dr. in their group who had "experience with that". What the??? I politely declined and found a new PCP that I love - she is supportive, but gives me a balanced view. I have never had a Dr. that I liked before, so in a way I have thank that jerk for turning me away.:crying:

I struggled for over two years going to several seminars and then was about to get married and realized I have to do this soon or I wont live as long. I did most of the testing prior to getting married and the surgery right after. I wish I had made my decision sooner

I had to take 9 pills a day to be "normal" then my doctor wanted me to do a sleep test for sleep apnea...I'm 33...that was my final straw.

She already removed me from all but 1 pill. This is worth it. It's not a miracle, quick fix - you have to do the work and it helps as a tool. Go for it!

My PCP favors GB more, but only because she had that surgery herself. The surgeon I see seems to me to also favor GB. With him, I think it has more to do with the rapid weight loss that tends to occur in the 1st 6-12months afterward. In the end, though, they both advised that it was my decision. I decided on the LB :thumbup: and am still going through my pre-op phase. I hope that with my last two appointments coming up, that by the end of June I will find out for sure whether I am approved and get a date.