Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy hormones wreaking havoc on my band

I am just curious as to how many of you are experiencing something similiar. I believe that I'm pre-menopausal which is making my band so tight that somedays Water is hard to get down. I had to have my band completely unfilled back in January and my doc slowly put the saline back in. Before I was unfilled I had 7 cc's in a 14cc band but now I only have 5cc's and still I'm having more tight days than not. I'd really hate to go any lower in my band than that.

Tralynn, Yes I have had problems with my hormones affecting the tightness of my band. Fortunately not the to point you have expercienced. I have a 10cc Realize Band with 5.2 cc's. I was once at 6 cc but had to have it removed because of acid reflux. I would get heartburn with Water, while taking a prescription medication and drinking mylanta all day. I had an unfill back to 4 cc and have gone back several times to get refilled. Things seem to be better now, I am feeling some restriction again. I always have more restriction when I am on my period. Good luck

I have had problems with my band tightening on its own. Last year I had some Fluid taken out and then promptly gained 10 pounds. Eventually, I had just a little less than my max amount added back in and I was just fine for months. Now, I never know if I am going to have a good day or bad day but I have been toughing it out because I am afraid of another weight gain if I get any saline taken out. I have never even concidered that it could be hormone related! I asked my doctor who said he has had some experience with the band tightening on its own but he said they cannot explain exactly why. He is very knowledgable in this field. What makes yall think it is hormone related? I am very curious!

Fort Bend Band, I definitely feel tighter when I am on my cycle so that is why I feel it is hormone related. I have talked with lots of banded women who have the same experience. My nurse who does the fills says that she hears that all the time from her patients, but I do not think it has been medically proven to be hormones. Hey I will take the tightness anyway I can get it.

I am on the round the clock birth control so I do not get a period so it is hard to know what is going on with my hormones. I know they do still increase or decrease monthly because I still get monthly Migraines that have been associated with my cycle for about 10 years. I though this different birth control might help my headaches but it didn't. I do like the tightness too but it is just so irratic that some days I can barely eat or drink and then the next day I am ok. It is just wierd. I will try to pay more attention to the hormone idea. It definately gave me something to think about! Thanks!

OMG! Did any of you see the lightbulb that just went on over my head?!! :(:smile:

I ran out of hormone Patches about 2 weeks ago and I've been struggling with extreme tightness for several days now. I never put the two of them together. It makes perfect sense! That is the only thing that has changed for me since my last fill in April. Thank you so much for bringing up this subject!!!

Fortunately, new patches are on the way. I will let you know if the problem resolves with patch in place.

Sorry to hijack your thread! I just go so excited! Perhaps it's time to have your hormones checked to see if you ARE in menopause. Keep track of the days you are too tight and see if there is a pattern. If there is, then you can plan your food/liquid around those bad days.

I hope you find a workable solution. Good luck.

LOL! It is so good to know that the band is going to help me in the exact opposite direction during "that time of the month." :( I can always tell when my period is on the way b/c i constantly find myself in front of the fridge or raiding the pantry for something to eat while the whole time I am telling myself that I am not hungry. I am getting banded on June 8th and if the surgery doesn't throw off my cycle, my "visitor" should arrive around the 20th (sorry, TMI). I will have to keep an eye out for the tight feeling.

Sweetbean70 You will only start to feel the restriction during your cycle once you start getting fills and get to closer to your sweet spot. I still crave salt during my cycle. Best Wishes

Okay, so here's the update. Hormone Patches came in the mail on Wednesday. Within 6 hours of putting the patch on I lost about 1-1/2 lbs of Water. By Breakfast Thursday morning I was able to have my Protein shake without any problems. And, I have been able to eat normally every meal since then. So, I believe this WAS the problem for me.

PJTP - I love being able to eat like a skinny person. Just normal amounts of foods...:biggrin:

I take my birth control pills without taking the week of sugar pills. My MD has me start taking a new pack every three weeks. The hormones are stronger the first week and become weaker as each week goes by. I just began taking a new pack 34 days ago and have noticed I have been eating better. This is just blowing my mind. How can the hormones cause an increase in restriction?

Hormones affect every thing that happens in your body to some extent. When you retain Water, it's INSIDE AND OUTSIDE. You don't just get puffy hands, feet, abdomen, etc. You also get puffy on the inside, too.

It's just like gaining weight. It's not all in your hips and thighs...there is also fat around your stomach, liver, and all your other organs.

Hope this helps.