Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nauseated HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I was banded on May 12. So i am 6 days post op. I am felling nauseated several times a day. I can't seam to get the Protein Shakes down they make it worse. I am keeping eveything down but i get these waves of nausea. I feel horiable. I don't throw up but just have to sit for a few mins and take deep breaths. Is this normal is it because my stomach is emtpy and i am that hungry or my stomach is still healing. Please someone tell me this is normal and that it will take a little while to go away. I keep thinking to myself yesturday what have i done to myself. I can handle pain really well but i can't stand to be nauseated. Is there anything i can do or take to make it better?

Hi there,

I had a horrible time with nausea after my surgery (may 6). I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia and the loratab liquid pain killer they gave me was making me nauseas as well. I actually was dry heaving a lot. I finally called my doctor and he told me if there was little pain stop taking the loratab and try to drink as much Water as I could to flush the rest of the anesthetics out of my system. I did as he said and the nausea lasted til about day 9, but the dry heaving stopped after day 5. I know you must here this all the time, but it will get better. On day 9 I was ready to rip the thing out of me, but the next day it was like the clouds parted and I did feel better. For the shakes, try to make them with a powdered protien, use non fat milk and put some kind of not so sweet fruit in them, a berry of some sort. BLEND BLEND BLEND it. For me the berries took the "icky sweet" taste away from the shakes and I was able to down them.

Have faith, it will be better.

I'm glad to hear that this too shall pass. I was banded on May 14th. I have been nauseated, especially trying to take the liquid Lortab and while trying to drink the shakes. I haven't vomited or dry heaved but I have felt like I was going to. I'm getting about 2 shakes a day down instead of three. I will be SOOO glad when this liquid stage is over. It's nice to know we are not in this alone and we'll all be doing so much better in a few weeks. :eek:

I agree that pain killer makes me vomit, so I just used tylenol. Call your doc! He can give you something for the nausea if he needs to, he can give you a different pain med if you need it, he can HELP you! Don't sit and be miserable. Call him now...you'll be glad you did.

I had the same problem the 1st week after my surgery but it stopped when I started on food. Just hang in there.

I had a really hard time getting Protein shakes down after my surgery.

Maybe try carnation instant Breakfast see if that helps.

Hubby was banded on May 11 and was having weird waves of nausea too. He realized that is the signal is is hungry, because if he had some Soup (strained of course) it went away. He also found that too much milk (including that in his shakes) gave him a bloated miserable feeling. So it is a fine line. Good Luck. . . . 2 more weeks till I join your club. :eek:

So, I went to the Nutrition Depot (nutrition shop in town with a smoothie bar) and told the girl I was not enjoying the Protein Shakes I made at home. Well, she hooked me up with a stawberry, banana and pineapple juice smoothie with Protein and it was the best thing I've had all week. It was so huge it took me 4 hours to finish it, but I was not hungry and best of all not nauseated. I think I'll be her daily customer for the next few weeks. Only took Tylenol today (day 5 post op) and did fine, no more hydrocodone for this chick.

To be honest I've never had a smoothie but doesn't it have pureed fruit? If so, are you sure you can have that this soon post op? Some can, some can't. I couldn't. Just don't hurt yourself trying to find something that isn't nauseating; if you aren't sure, ask your doc.

I was very nauseated for a week and a half after surgery. the doctor told me to get over the counter stuff, I got the nauzene cherry chewables. They helped me a lot. I thought the cherry taste would just make my nausea worse, but it didn't. They aren't the best tasting things, they taste like salty cherries, but I was desperate!

Edited by cristina
spelling :)

Hi Reneek,

Sorry You are not feeling well. I had 9 days of nausea. It was pretty miserable and I thought what the hell have I done. I was banded on 5/7/09 and I finally felt good on 5/17. My MD told me to stop the Protein shakes because they cause nausea, gas and bloating after surgery. I lived on CIB, Jello and sf popsycles. On Mothers Day my son and dil gave me a basket of Jello and popsycles - LOL. I know you feel miserable but each day will get better. When I was feeling this bad I would see other people posting - I feel great - no pain - blah blah blah. Well I felt like crap for nine days. I now see alot of us have nausea. I have been where you are and it will get better. Hope each day is easier for you.

mary

Thank you all so much for your replys i saw the DR yesturday and he said that some people get nausea. I really think some of it was the Protein Shakes. I am starting to feel better. I have some nausea but not as bad. I started soft foods yesturday and had some eggs this morning so since i am starting to get things into my tummy i think in a couple of days i wil feel so much better. Again thank you for replying and making me feel better about my decision.