Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help please! Nightime eating out of control

Hi to those who visit this thread

I am totally upset with myself. I do okay with my eating during the day and think "maybe I'll lose weight today" but then the nightime comes and all hell breaks loose. I sabatoge myself after a "whole good day". I find I have no self-control and just eat, and most of the time I'm not even hungary. I guess that it's head hunger -

Can anyone help or advise. I'm thinking maybe if I have a nightime buddy who has the same problem we could touch base to help each other not eat at night. I really need help. Thanks

Well you found me. Your post could have been written by me. I can do great all day long and then blow it at night. It is a problem that I've always had...... and I'm working on it. Of course I can't give you any advice or words of wisdom.... but I just wanted you to know that there are other moonlight eaters. Maybe we could all move to a commune and have a big gorilla guard the food teepee at night. I will be following the responses you get - I wish us both good luck. Take care. Becky

Are you eating because you are bored? Are you sitting in front of the television mindlessly munching on "stuff"? I discovered that if I have something to drink I can skip the food thing. Not plain water...it has to have some taste. Iced tea, Crystal LIght, etc. It may mean waking up in the middle of the night to pee but who cares? That's better than going to bed mad at yourself!

Take a good walk after dinner. 30-45 minutes at least. Endorphins released by exercise can help you avoid cravings.

If you absolutely are hungry (not just head hungry), eat Protein. A little goes a long way. An ounce of low fat cheese or a 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese. If this will help you, then plan your day's food to allow for that 70-90 calories.

Don't just sit down on the couch and hope that you'll do better. Take action!

I'm not speaking for Bandana.... only for myself. I don't eat at night because I am bored. I have many projects/activities that keep me busy at home. I don't just sit on the couch and watch television and I don't sit at my computer 24/7. When I want to eat is after dark. It is not practical to get in the car and go somewhere and it is not safe to walk at this time. We all have our growth areas (no pun intended) - sometimes there are deep seeded issues that go along with them. If we were all perfect, none of us would be here.... right? I always welcome any and all advice, tips, and suggestions. I've changed many old habits and I'm hoping over time, I will conquer this one too. Take care. Becky

Yes, I too could have written this!! Only difference being that I do really well all week with exercising and meals, but the weekends are killers! I find myself mindlessly grazing on food when I am NOT hungry.....guess this would be head hunger?? I am also finding that I am eating larger portions, not a good thing either. I am scheduled for another fill tomorrow and hope that will help me get back on track. Best wishes to all........

Ann

Girls

I'm so glad we found each other. I think we really need each other for support, even if we don't have all the answers. We could help each other figure out the answers together. That's why I started this thread.

Cathy when you walk at night does it make you more hungary? Ive heard exercise gives you an appetite.

what if we met here at the witching hour on line each night before the head hunger kicks in for the night. For me it starts about 9pm. When does it start for you girls.

I really look forward to us being there for each other.

Caryn

Ladies I'm also a night eater. I work 3rd shift at a fairly sedentary job. And I myself do really great all day but find myself wanting to pick all through the night. Id definitely like some support from people who are going through the same thing. And of course be as much help to you guys as I can!

Caryn. Let me know - are you thinking like meeting in Chat? I would love to be in an online nighttime munchers support group. Might be a challenge to get us all together since we live in different time zones. I have trouble from the time I get home from work (6:00 MST) till I go to sleep, so I could meet anytime. Just checking in and getting that boost that you get from others in the same boat would be very helpful for me. Let me know what the plan is. I'm in :laugh: Take care. Becky

Caryn, I haven't noticed that walking in the evening makes me hungry. I come back in and have a glass of Water with Crystal Light while I read my email, etc. I know though that may not be true for others, depending on what or how much they eat for dinner. I aim for meat, poulty and fish, with a vegetable side dish rather than cottage cheese or Soup or something softer and faster to digest. Hope this helps.

I too find that at night I want to eat even though I am not hungry. Drinking crystal light and chewing sugar free gum help me to get my mind off of food before I go to bed. The chewing really helps because it gives my mouth something to do. If you can, try and get rid of the snack stuff in your home. If it is not available, then you don't have to worry about getting into it.

Good luck.

another night eater here too.... i was brought up on the whole "dinner is the big meal of the day" thoughts. its been hard to break that cycle... I was doing really well with it but then this past weekend I got back into it. I'll even argue with myself as Im pulling the food out of the fridge. Sometimes its because Im hungry and other times its because I get the idea of something particular in mind and its like I go crazy thinking about it until I eat it. It happened last night with tortilla chips and salsa. I just couldnt stop thinking about them until finally I got up OUT OF BED to go eat some and read a book. I ate them had some Water and then went to bed for the night.

Its not healthy and i know that... I just need some support to get past the binges or the times when it seems like I cant stop myself

What are you eating?

Try keeping a fruit salad on hand. I find that's helping me with my sugar cravings. That way when you want to snack you are snacking on something healthy. Also weight watchers has ice cream and ice cream bars that are pretty awesome and not bad for you either. Also, air popped pop corn is good for you.

I guess what i'm saying is try to make your evening Snacks a little more healthier and then eventually try cutting them out. Don't go cold turkey!

I to am another night eater!! my reason for doing it is that is just plain ol goes down easier at night. During the day I am tight and for some reason later in the evening I open up like crazy. The bad thing is after i open up I always eat to much cause i feel like i am starving cause i havent eaten all day. Just wanted yall to know you are not alone.

I have always have been a night time eater/snacker. I allow myself to have a local/carb snack and then SF Jello and anything after that is either tea (caffeine free) or Water. I have learned that it is a habit but it doesn't have to be a bad habit. I just have to keep in check. I do suffer more on the weekends that I don't keep busy enough during the day.