Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One word-TRAUMATIC! First fill-10 1/2 wks out

So I went in for my 3month check up yesterday and at first it went well. I had told my surgeon that Im snacking more and never hungry so thats when she decieded to give me a fill. They dont want me to eat to just eat she said. She did also tell me that im doing great, down 48lbs in total with pre-op.28 lbs since surg.

OK so whatever I layed down, told me to act like I was going to do a crunchie and then numbed me all over with ladicane (cant spell?! lol). Then she brings out this 4" freakin needle and wants to find my port with it, well the freakin thing ends up snapping! I about died...gets a second needle and then tells me to stand up. At this point i start sweating, didnt know if i was gonna throw up or shit myself all in the same time lol

The nurse hands me a cup of Water and says start sipping while she adjust the saline. So take a sip or two nothing, told them I feel sick thats about it. They said go ahead and take a drink, ok so I started burping, then another sip burp then I could feel teh water sitting in my throat. She then took saline out and told me to take another drink and I was fine, felt it go down.

THEN SHE TRIES TO TAKE THE FREAKIN NEEDLE OUT AND ITS STUCK! All I could say to her was "the bitch is stuck" lol Thats what did me in, I almost fainted, had to sit down afterwords for about 15mins b4 I could go home. I was soo nauseas.

First fill was 4cc's in a 10cc band...i feel ok today not as nauseas but last night it was bad. Dry heaving for about an hr..I'm freaked out to eat anything now! Im clears until tomorrow and im pretty sure its head hunger BUT I think im really hungry. Its weird. Anyways that was my exciting story~

*wanted to clarify...the needle didnt break off in my port thankfully broke in the middle..too big i guess?

Edited by Brie_SDmamaofTwins
needed it to make sense lol

Ok, I don't mean to laugh, but that post had me cracking up!!!! I am so sorry for your horrible experience, but my goodness, the way you told that story was priceless. Thanks for the laugh. I haven't even had 1 fill yet, so I have no idea what to expect, but I hope that doesn't happen to me. If it does, I hope I can make it as entertaining as you did when I tell my story....lol

First of all...just because they offer fills at Wal-Mart now doesn't mean you should go there to get them. Secondly, HOLY WTF!?!? That's some crazy stuff going on...man, i feel for you!

Lol. Being a needle phobe myself I would've freaked out too if the need snapped off like that. But that was something I had to suck up and put up with in exchange for the new me. lol. Hopefully your next fill will go much smoother for you. Sorry about your experience!

First of all...just because they offer fills at Wal-Mart now doesn't mean you should go there to get them.

ROTFLOL...I peed my pants!

I'd be wondering WHAT the needle got stuck in...hopefully she didn't puncture anything, but I think you'd know pretty soon if you had a leak.

GOOD LORD!!!! I feel so sorry that you had to go thru that! Something is wrong at that clinic, because that just isnt right! I had my first fill Wed. The nurse had me lay down with an ice pack on my tummy, and a pillow behind my lower back.

The doctor came in, the nurse held a bottle of Water with a bendy straw and he found the port right off, I sipped the water and he added the saline. Withdrew the needle, put a bandaid on the injection site and I sat up and sipped the rest of the water during group. Never felt any uncomfort or pain at all!!!

LOL thanks Jackie and GUY thats was great....yea what a mess hopefully the second one isnt as bad!

Thanks for all the comments so far:P

Jackie: Oh I left out one lil part also, but minus well tell you.

When she had me lay down she said "oh ur small" and i said are we talking about my port or my vajayjay...lol Only because everytime i get a pap they always have to use the smaller ones because ive never had babies down there..ya so anyways thought ud enjoy that one too LMAO hehe

hey girl (snatch lol)

I am so sorry for your awful experience... Luckily I had my first fill and it wasn't nearly as tramatic!!

Guy u are too funny!

good luck on the next one (should u need one)

amy

So sorry about your experience. It clearly must be a technician/doctors ability. I haven't had mine yet, but my daughter doesn't even see her doctor but a PA and she's in and out in five minutes. But the guy did tell her that he didn't want to brag but he knows that he's good at it. Your experience really hits home with me only because where I'm having mine done, they do mostly bypass and have only done like 120 bands. So, gee, how experienced do you think they are. I'm going to see how it goes and then I may be looking up a fill center and it won't be Wal-Mart...lol

Good luck on the next one

Trisha

oh Brie, what an shocking experience. But I must say I really loved your post. You should write a book, just about your medical experiences! You could retire on the proceeds. Hope you are feeling okay, we missed you on chat tonight

I don't do the Water stuff while getting the fill, just sip some afterwards. My first and second fill were rather exciting too. my port decided to flip over so the doctor played pickup sticks with a couple of needles and flipped it over....It had sealed itself into a pouch of Fluid but it didn't hurt at all just a little pressure. nothing to deaden it or anything..The third fill the pouch had no more fluid and they couldn't flip the port so I went back into surgery and they turn that sucker over I haven't had any real trouble...except now I am too tight and they will unfill a bit tomorrow. I had my first fill 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. I think I have lost about 40 lbs.

My first fill didnt hurt at all. It was rather quick, and I could see the Fluid going into my band on a machine, but that was it. Didnt feel a thing.