Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

There is a chance I may have sleep apnea and the surgeon's office wants me to go to my local physician and get tested for it. I understand the sleep study at a clinic but have a few questions for those of you that have sleep apnea or went through the testing. First, my deductible is quite high so how much did the study cost? Was anyone just diagnosed by a home study or their own doctor? My husband actually woke me up at 3am last night and was like "you HAVE to go to a doctor! Something is seriously wrong with your snoring/snorting loud noises" So, I made an appt. with my local doc, but would appreciate if others would share about their experiences with this. Thanks!

:rolleyes:

I don't have it but can tell you that you have to be tested because if you have apnea you need to get fitted for a mask/machine that helps you keep breathing at night. Different people require different equipment and the settings etc depend on the degree of your apnea.

If you DO have it, the machine can change your life. Many many people find renewed energy, they feel more cheerful, and it can be life prolonging (over time the apnea can damage your organs including your heart)

So while I can't answer you about cost etc I can say it's worth it if you have it.

On the bright side if you are trying to get the band you'd meet your deductible anyway; might as well get it taken care of. And many insurance companies do consider sleep apnea as a co-morbidity of obesity.

Good luck!

OH and the doctor should be able to tell you where he'll send you; they can give you a price.

I have had the test done 3 times. I honestly dont remember the costs, as I have been pretty lucky with great insurance thru the years.

I doubt there is a home test available, as they had to hook you up to machines that test your air flow, and movement as you sleep.

I will second what Restlest said- as much as I hate the machine it has made a world of difference in the quality of sleep I get.

I dont know about you but pre-testing I would "zone out" while I was driving which was the final straw.

My husband and I have to do ours next week and the cost per person is $1589 if we haven't hit our deductible ($2000 each) or 10% depending on the deductible situation.

The place I am going agreed to take some sort of a payment and then bill my insurance since with all the stuff I have had done to prepare for the surgery is still pending in the billing department. What ever comes back I can pay later... Tjey will work with you...Just ask!

Good luck to you!

I was recently dx with sleep apnea. At the time of my referral to bariatrics my primary had me do the sleep study as well. I have Kaiser and there was no cost to me so I can't help with that.

The way my study was done they gave me a monitor, kind of like a wrist brace, to wear over night. I took the monitor back the next day and they were able to download the info on my breathing patterns. The next step was to borrow one of their CPAP machines for one week. Once I took that back they were able to determine what type of machine I needed and what the settings should be. My own machine was ordered and shipped to my house.

I've had the machine about 2 weeks now and I'm still getting used to it. I can't seem to keep it on all night but I'm hoping that I will soon. My husband says he can tell the difference, not snoring, and breathing better etc.

Again sorry I can't help with the cost but perhaps you can ask to do the study at home and maybe save some cash.

good luck.

I just had the sleep study done and the full cost was $1697, Aetna ins negotiated price brought it dow to $698 and my ins paid $238 (gee thanks!)so I'm left with $460 out of pocket unless I can get my other ins to pay some of it, but I think Tricare excludes sleep apnea and any kind of testing and treatment for it. Not positive about that.

Hope that helps.

Dear Hope,

I have had a CPAP machine for over 4 years now. Tricare paid for mine, along with my primary insurance, so I would encourage you to talk with the insurance rep. It should be covered for you.

Elgrad

Ah, sleep apnea. I had two sleep studies, which after insurance cost me about 200 bucks a piece. :( Not to mention the monthly fee for the machine. I think that last about 10 months, not sure yet.

Those the sleep tests are horrible and the machine is costly, the change is awesome!!! :tt1:

More energy, better moods.... everything. You will get use to the machine and the face gear. I love mine and missing one night on it makes me a monster... :w00t:

Good luck!!! :)

I had to go for 2 sleep studies one was to find out if I had it and the other was to test me with a CPAP machne for them to figure out what kind of machine I need. The sleep studies were honestly the worst experience I have ever had , they hook you up to so much stuff and its really uncomfortable.

I have had my CPAP machine for over a month and cannot keep the thing on me all night I take it off while I am sleeping. I just recieved a new mask in the mail today hopefully this one will stay on all night for me. I cant wait to lose enough weight where I wont have to be on this machine any longer it really is a nightmare I HATE IT I feel like a freak wearing this thing. The only reason I even got tested was because i had to in order to get the surgery for lap band I pray that this band work or rather I work with the band and get my weight inder control so I dodnt have to be on the machine anymore

Thanks for the comments guys! You know, my husband says that my snoring is sooooo loud and I am soooo tired all the time. My BMI is right around 40. I quit smoking a year ago and have gained like 20 pounds since then:mad2: If you told me to go to sleep at any time during the day----I could!

It is really interesting to hear others speak of how wonderful they feel after getting treated for this......I'm all for feeling better!

Soon-hopefully you won't to have all that paraphenalia on you for the second test. All those sensors are SO annoying, I don't know how anyone can think you'll actually sleep. But I have to tell you, I slept with oxygen for the first time last night and feel an improvement already in staying awake, energy, and mental alertness ALREADY! Hope the treatment help you feel better too!