Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't want this to become a religous debate but I am looking for some questions

I have read this entire thread, and am always amused by the so called "lack of debate" the person w ho starts the thread says they do not want. It always seems to turn into a debate no matter what. I also find it interesting that many of the non-believers were raised Roman Catholic. Interesting indeed.

I was raised Roman Catholic as well. I like to refer to myself as a recovering Catholic. I am a Christian and I do believe but I also believe that spirituality should not be confused by the rules and regulations of religion.

As for the debate, there is a certain person around here who manages to turn every single thread she posts on into a religious debate. She is hateful and spiteful and is one of those people who gives Christians a bad name. Really I don't mind the debate but I would mind her coming in and taking over the thread.

Funny, we tend to think of *some* believers as too stupid to think for themselves so they must turn to their religious leader or bible to form their opinions. We kinda think some of you are coming up short in the "common sense" area and that is why you must rely on believing the impossible. We have strong hopes for you that someday you too, can think for yourself.

Amazingly, common sense does not mean believing in talking snakes or that a butcher of a God can slaughter millions of innocents (including children) while calling it just and loving.

Sure hope that answer helps you out there. Since you are unable to come up with a question actually for the pastor here and you are just taking shots at atheists, can I assume you are another one of those loving Christians I keep hearing about? I'm sure you are proud.

Kewl Beans. Prove it.

I don't know if I qualify as "highly educated" but I do have a collage degree and was near the top of my class. I am also a Christian who believes in the big bang theory. Because when God said let there be light, who is to say that was not the light? Then again who is to say it was? My belief in God is what helps me get through the day sometimes and if handing my worries and fears off to someone "fictional" makes me feel relief and peace in my life then that is good enough for me. As for my prayers, they are alway answered. Sometimes it is just not the answer that I want. Praying for me is having a conversation with God. I know it does not change the outcome, but again, it makes me feel good when I lay down in bed at night. My goal and purpose in life is to be the best person that I can be and not worry about what everyone else is doing. Believe, don't believe. My job is not to convince anyone else that God is real.

Oh and Wasa that really wasn't directed toward you, yours was just to most recent post addressing the issue and I was too lazy to go back a page lol.

I don't know if I qualify as "highly educated" but I do have a collage degree and was near the top of my class. I am also a Christian who believes in the big bang theory. Because when God said let there be light, who is to say that was not the light? Then again who is to say it was? My belief in God is what helps me get through the day sometimes and if handing my worries and fears off to someone "fictional" makes me feel relief and peace in my life then that is good enough for me. As for my prayers, they are alway answered. Sometimes it is just not the answer that I want. Praying for me is having a conversation with God. I know it does not change the outcome, but again, it makes me feel good when I lay down in bed at night. My goal and purpose in life is to be the best person that I can be and not worry about what everyone else is doing. Believe, don't believe. My job is not to convince anyone else that God is real.

My post really wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the rude one. She did not do a good job of coming up with a reason to insult atheists and I just gave her a little of her own medicine. I just turned the tables on her.

I don't care what people believe. If it gives them strength, hope, alleviates fears, whatever... I think that's great. I have my own beliefs as well that are not based on fact. I believe in an afterlife, not one with a God running the show but I don't think this is all there is. I don't know what it's like, I don't claim to know details, I just think there is something after this life. But... no God. The concept sounds silly to me. But I am fully aware that others do believe and it is not silly to them.

I don't like the closed minded bigot types. It gets old quickly and you clearly do not fit in that group. But I can think of a couple... a few... that do. ;o) We share the same level of respect for one of them. I don't like that feeling of my skin crawling so I have her blocked. LOL

My post really wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the rude one. She did not do a good job of coming up with a reason to insult atheists and I just gave her a little of her own medicine. I just turned the tables on her.

I don't care what people believe. If it gives them strength, hope, alleviates fears, whatever... I think that's great. I have my own beliefs as well that are not based on fact. I believe in an afterlife, not one with a God running the show but I don't think this is all there is. I don't know what it's like, I don't claim to know details, I just think there is something after this life. But... no God. The concept sounds silly to me. But I am fully aware that others do believe and it is not silly to them.

I don't like the closed minded bigot types. It gets old quickly and you clearly do not fit in that group. But I can think of a couple... a few... that do. ;o) We share the same level of respect for one of them. I don't like that feeling of my skin crawling so I have her blocked. LOL

Oh I know it wasn't. I think it was to the person you were referring to. And it is hard to believe that once life ends

it ends. I mean there has to be something after, right? And I know we have the same respect for each other because the concept of no God sounds silly to me :crying:

As for the resident closed minded bigot...I had to block that one or risk saying some really awful things. And boy is it peaceful.

This still makes no sense. Either God knew he was going to grant this wish (thus not really granting the wish) or it is not true that God knows all before it happens. It can't be both ways.

As I spoke with my professors in college, I will speak the same thing on here. My belief is my belief, I do not expect anyone who does not believe as I do to accept or make sense of what I am saying. It is what I believe, I live by the Word of God, if you don't, it is okay. When I read a story in the bible, it gives me hope and encouragement. It gives me some insight on how God can operate. That is what it does for me. So its okay, I don't need a clapping party behind me to say Amen. I am cool with my professors now, they understood.

Wow, that's pretty rude. The OP was quite clear about WHY she was starting this thread. She bloody well spelled it out for you. Was there a portion of the explanation that is difficult for you? Have you noticed that she's not debating anyone?

I did not say the OP was debating with anyone. The other people who have posted are the ones debating each other. I never said the OP was.

I also never said that all educated people are non-believers. Some are and some aren't. However, it has been my observation throughout my life that many highly educated people have lots of book smarts, but no common sense. That means common sense in general, not just about religion. I am educated myself, plus I am a Christian who also believes the earth is millions of years old. There are lots of Christians who believe in science and creation at the same time. There are also many scientists who believe in both as well.

As far as me giving the OP a question for her pastor, I think there have been plenty of those already posted, and I already have my own personal opinions as to what the pastor's answer would be if he were actually asked to answer them.

The Roman Catholic statement was an observation made directly from this thread. The fact is many of the atheists that have posted were raised Catholic. Their words, not mine.

"FORGIVE THEM LORD FOR THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY DO OR SAY":thumbup:

TAKE A STEP OUT ON FAITH AND YOU TO WILL SEE IT IS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE...

I also never said that all educated people are non-believers. Some are and some aren't.

You kinda did, here is what you wrote:

Why is that people with a lot of higher education turn into atheists? Is that they are so intelligent their brains have no room left for common sense and faith?

Notice, you didn't say some or a few, you wrote people with a lot of higher education turn atheist.

However, it has been my observation throughout my life that many highly educated people have lots of book smarts, but no common sense. That means common sense in general, not just about religion.

Are you under the assumption that it requires common sense to believe in the impossible such as talking snakes, virgin births, a little bitty ark that holds 30,000,000 species (x2) and food for a year, etc.? Are you really serious? I think you and I have very different thoughts on what common sense is.

As far as me giving the OP a question for her pastor, I think there have been plenty of those already posted, and I already have my own personal opinions as to what the pastor's answer would be if he were actually asked to answer them.

Trippy, so it was just a general slam to atheists. Thank you for clearing that up. I'm quite sure your God is pleased with your behaviors.

The Roman Catholic statement was an observation made directly from this thread. The fact is many of the atheists that have posted were raised Catholic. Their words, not mine.

I agree with you. While I can't say most atheists I know were raised RC, many were and I think RC does tend to produce quite a few atheists. But then, so does reading the bible.

Wow, I just read through the posts... interesting. The first point I would like to address has to do with education. I hold a Ph.D. and worked hard for it and certainly think I possess common sense.

Secondly, I was brought up Catholic. While I don't attend mass every week now, I did for the first 18 years of my life; the formative years and beyond. Ergo, whether I like it or not, I can't deny my roots in the Christian faith.

Finally, I've been thinking about the pastor questions. I decided I really don't have any questions for a Rabbi, a Pastor, a Priest, etc. Yes, they studied theology and devoted their life to their religious beliefs but I don't believe that makes them expert. When you get right down to it, they are men and women with their own prejudices.

For me, there IS something more than our life here on earth. It's not something I can prove and it's not something I feel I need to prove; to myself or anyone else. I would guess that's faith. I have found this in the Catholic church but I've also experienced it through people of different faiths. I enjoy hearing other perspectives because it challenges my beliefs and expands my understanding. So, I'll keep on living and learning and hopefully, sharing and becoming a better person along the way.

Wow, I just read through the posts... interesting. The first point I would like to address has to do with education. I hold a Ph.D. and worked hard for it and certainly think I possess common sense.

Secondly, I was brought up Catholic. While I don't attend mass every week now, I did for the first 18 years of my life; the formative years and beyond. Ergo, whether I like it or not, I can't deny my roots in the Christian faith.

Finally, I've been thinking about the pastor questions. I decided I really don't have any questions for a Rabbi, a Pastor, a Priest, etc. Yes, they studied theology and devoted their life to their religious beliefs but I don't believe that makes them expert. When you get right down to it, they are men and women with their own prejudices.

For me, there IS something more than our life here on earth. It's not something I can prove and it's not something I feel I need to prove; to myself or anyone else. I would guess that's faith. I have found this in the Catholic church but I've also experienced it through people of different faiths. I enjoy hearing other perspectives because it challenges my beliefs and expands my understanding. So, I'll keep on living and learning and hopefully, sharing and becoming a better person along the way.

This kind of attitude is why I trust you with personal issues and value you as a friend.

:):thumbup::):thumbup::):thumbup::thumbup:

I was raised Roman Catholic as well. I like to refer to myself as a recovering Catholic. I am a Christian and I do believe but I also believe that spirituality should not be confused by the rules and regulations of religion.

Look, I don't wanna be the one that "outs" you on here, but just the other day you were PM'ing me about how to start a new religious cult. Hey, we're friends, but I'm not going to castrate and then poison myself for you, ok?

Look, I don't wanna be the one that "outs" you on here, but just the other day you were PM'ing me about how to start a new religious cult. Hey, we're friends, but I'm not going to castrate and then poison myself for you, ok?

Drink the Koolaid I tell you. Drink it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wootsie73

I also never said that all educated people are non-believers. Some are and some aren't.

You kinda did, here is what you wrote:

Quote:

Why is that people with a lot of higher education turn into atheists? Is that they are so intelligent their brains have no room left for common sense and faith?

Sorry, that was a type o on my part. I intended to say SOME PEOPLE WITH A LOT OF HIGHER EDUCATION. My bad.

Notice, you didn't say some or a few, you wrote people with a lot of higher education turn atheist.

Quote:

However, it has been my observation throughout my life that many highly educated people have lots of book smarts, but no common sense. That means common sense in general, not just about religion.

Are you under the assumption that it requires common sense to believe in the impossible such as talking snakes, virgin births, a little bitty ark that holds 30,000,000 species (x2) and food for a year, etc.? Are you really serious? I think you and I have very different thoughts on what common sense is.

Not at all. It has been my observation throughout my life that some people who are very intelligent, by that I mean people with high IQ’s and lots of book smarts, don’t have enough common sense to come in out of the rain. That has nothing to do with their religious beliefs at all.

Quote:

Trippy, so it was just a general slam to atheists. Thank you for clearing that up. I'm quite sure your God is pleased with your behaviors.

Again, I will explain myself. This statement was not a slam to atheists. My brother is a pastor, and we have spent many hours discussing these exact same topics. I’m sure most pastors would probably agree with him in general. There have been plenty of questions asked. I don’t need to add to the list.

Quote:

I agree with you. While I can't say most atheists I know were raised RC, many were and I think RC does tend to produce quite a few atheists. But then, so does reading the bible.

One we can agree on. LOL I disagree with the part about reading the Bible, but that is my own personal choice. I don’t try to force my beliefs on anyone.

In my original post, I said God had given us all brains to think with and we are capable of making our own choices. The response to that was “kewl Beans. Prove it.” In response to that I will say, prove I’m wrong.

I'm definitely not trying to make any enemies here. But, I have as much right to my opinion as everyone else does. What you do as far as religion or lack of religion is your own business. I'm not trying to convert anyone.