Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight watchers and the Band I cannot believe this!!!!

That's what I mean Restless - adjust your points. Its too much food for most bandsters. Just dont tell THEM you're doing it coz you'll get a lecture about how you wont lose any weight! They seem to think the formula is some sort of magic that must not be messed with, but really people only lose on WW coz they're eating less, so it works for bandsters too, if they care to adjust it to their capacity.

I know exactly what you are referring to, and I almost bet I could name the person who posted it. I have done WW off and on since I was 18 years old (will be 46 in July). I know it is a great program and about the only "normal" diet I have ever known. I found it supportive to post on the boards and did so quite a while on the 100 lbs. to lose board.

But OMG, it is like being in Middle School again with these gals. They are snarky, rude and if you are not in their clique, FORGET IT. One time I was having a horrible time with weekends and I posted about it and was asking advice as to what others did to get through, --I got 4 responses. However, one of the leaders who was in the clique posted about her co-worker farting constantly, that got 33 responses. Go figure. There are some wonderful people on there that post and there are some real morons.

Take if for what it is, and just don't post on there again. You don't need some stranger being mean and saying unkind things.

Take care,

Lori

I had the same response on WW boards. I now never mention my band, or the fact I can't eat all my points. I still lose and cook healthy meals for my teenage son.

I am a member of Babyfit. where i talk to moms who had babies the same month as me. and we are all real supportive and friends. so when i started WW a couple of years ago i got on the WW board and they were HORRIBLE. i posted once about something and all i got was mean responses too. so i never posted there again.

its weird that it is that way because although i am not "close" with anyone on these boards i have found everyone on to be nice and supportive like my babyfit board.

I know these are older posts and may no longer matter but I wanted to put in my two cents worth. Years ago and I mean years, WW had a program where you could actually lose weight & reach lifetime membership. THEN, they changed the diet and kept changing it every year for quite few years. Weight loss was slower, people didn't reach life-time membership as easily (which was free-no dues) and now they have the points system. It all boils down to a money-making process for WW. It isn't really a diet per se, it's a way to try to train you to eat better and give them your money. If it was a diet, you wouldn't be able to eat anything as long as you stayed within your points. It's behavior modification just as the band is doing for you now.

Go to your meetings and don't tell anyone that you have the band. It's not any of their business. By the same token, don't brag on the weight loss and make them think it's all due to WW either. find a happy middle ground.

Hi Everyone!

I am currently on WW. I really love the idea behind it. I only do the online version which works for me.

I've had to adjust the points to work with my bandster lifestyle and when I'm sticking to the plan, I'm losing the 1-2 Lbs per week.

I think WW and The Band work really well together and I'm all for it. I have a WW support group, and anyone is welcome to chime in anytime. The door is wide open for any kind of discussion and to post your ups as well as your downs.

I know for a fact that sometimes people who don't understand or have the knowledge or WLS can sometimes be a bit negative about it. No, not everyone of course but it does occur. I join in the weekly meetings from time to time, but I don't disclose that I'm banded. I just try to avoid the questions and stereotypes when I'm out looking for support. I get that here. :(

Much success to you all!

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/weight-watchers-online-support-thread-99685/

WW you have to remember is also a program that cost money. It itseld is its own entity, and they "compete" with WLS.

I too had a 2 similar scenarios a few years ago. I was working alot and always on the run so I signed up for Nutrisystem. I was so excited about being on that program, so I went on some chat rooms on AOL and told them what I was doing. They treated me horribly. True The diet wasnt a true Sucess for me, but they were slamming me before I started.

Another time was when I lost 100lbs doing Atkins. Countless people (including the WW Leaders) said that its just a fad and not healthy for me. I loved how I lost that weight, and felt good. I gained it back, but it wasnt due to the diet "not working" I went on medicine, and had a problem with my health,

You will notice alot of people who are on different diets/programs then you, will automatically disagree with you. Even I sometimes feel people take the lazy way out, for instance when my cousin had the gastric Bypass 8 years ago when I was losing my weight thru atkins, she after losing the weight had her loose skin surgically removed. At that time I was mad/jealous. But now I understand it was her choice, and this whole journey of losing weight, no matter how you get it done, is not easy

OMG I cannot believe how horrible the WW boards are to Lap banders!!!!

I recently started using WW along with the band and have been seeing amazing results! WW has always been my favorite lifestyle plan so I wanted to combine the two together. I talked it over with my doctor and we adjusted my points to fit my band.

I posted a message on the boards saying that I have the band it is the only thing that has helped me to this extent and the combination of the two is amazing.

The responses I got where hurtful and uninformed. First they kept comparing me to a Gastric Bypass patient, which I would never want to be due to the complications. That's why I picked the LAP-BAND®. Second, the called it the Lazy man's diet, also stating that I shouldn't be promoting WLS on their boards. Some of the other things that they where saying: They couldn't believe that i've only lost 35lbs in 4 months compaired to their 45lbs wl in the same amount of time, how could I spend that much money just to be cut up and still have to be doing the same thing as them, Did I mention they called me lazy, said I had underlying mental issues. and so forth.

And I all I said was that they combination of the two for me is a great one! And it's not for everyone but it works for me.

I just can't believe it!

I mean look at this one post!!

" honestly don't care you have taken that route, I call it the lazy route, all I'm saying is please don't be coming to WW and touting surgery as an alternative to diet and exercise.

So, take your story elsewhere. Last thing I want ppl to do is read ur rant and give up on a healthier way to lose weight and opt for the lazy option like you did! your 10lb gain is not "magic" on cruises, its called you can't stop eating. "

My gosh, what a mean hypocritical short sited idiot!;) You take what you need and leave the rest. Block those nasty posters or better yet, report them. That is all out flaming. Good luck on your efforts. Don't let them discourage you. The beauty is with your band, yes you have to work, but once it is lost, you won't be gaining it back, and the statistics point to the great probability that those who use diet alone even WW will gain their wt back.

Take care!:thumbup:

Corliss

Bubbly, you ought to ask whoever is saying these things how many times they've been on WW. That oughtta shut them up. :)

that is a good point!!! i cannot believe what they said to you! i used ww quite a few times and did have some success off and on. i don't care how people choose to lose their weight......doing it in a healthy way and getting healthy is the point and end result. that person obviously has a problem with food too or they wouldn't be using ww.losing weight with wls or any other method is not easy and requires work. we of all people should know as we have tried countless times before turning to wls. and this is work. it wasn't always easy making the right food decisions to get to 100 lbs. you don't worry about other peoples opinions. you made the right decision for you. keep up the good work! :)

Edited by BANDIT GIRL

I was so sorry to hear that you were blasted. I think it's part of human nature to champion a cause that you really believe in, and defend it to others...of course, there should be a reasonable limit to your defense posture. I have been out on other sites and simply WHACKED by some folks for having chosen the band over other surgical options. I stopped going on those sites, because I don't need the negativity, especially this early in my journey (I was just banded last Friday).

When I mentioned this issue to my sister, who is a hypnotherapist and has treated WLS patients, she said something that hit me right between the eyes...that for those of us who have lived with profound obesity, it's HARD to lose weight no matter what path you choose. What the heck, if an EASY way existed, we'd all be in size 8's, wouldn't we?:thumbup: I never thought about it that way. WW, Atkins, etc. are all tools, just as the band is, and success depends about 99% on our sustained, informed use of whatever tool we choose.

I think that if I were to go back to WW as an adjunct to my band, I would not share the information about my surgery, particularly in an open forum. At least some of the folks there will just not know how to process the information in a way that will end up positively for you. I don't know if WW Online is a good option for you personally, but it's out there as an alternative.

Best, Christine

I have posted on the WW boards a few times in the past and always found them nasty and snarky. I found no support there and as anyone who ever posted or even read the 'wedding party board' knows the folks who frequent can be downright cruel.

I have been and am on WW. I hope to be banded next week (waiting today for one test result) and I plan to continue on WW. I think that the two can be totally worked together. My leader knows about the surgery and was very supportive. It's none of anyone else's business how we lose the weight. If they are that ignorant, then just ignore them. It's their loss. Good luck with WW and keep me posted. Kim

Ok, first I must say I have had nothing but bad experiences with WW. Well, with the people there. I didn't find support there just rudeness, every single time I joined.

That being said, in slight defense or possible explanation, maybe they are so stinking mean because they feel like you had extra "help" and they don't. Jealousy or maybe they feel like you lied when your accomplishments are not totally due to WW. That still doesn't give anyone the right to dog you like that. You are better than they are because you are have the courage to get banded. Those that aren't banded or not going through the process have NO IDEA what the surgery entails or what banders have to go through with their diets. I won't be banded for another month but already I am overwhelmed by all the "rules" we will have. Much more so than WW.

If you think about it though, I wonder how many WW people have had surgery and didn't tell anyone? To lose a large amount of weight in a relatively short period of time on WW is nearly impossible in my opinion. We are all human and make mistakes so fast weight loss is not the norm.

My last thought...at least you were honest with them and didn't lie. Props to you.

BubblyBandit - you mentioned that your Dr "adjusted your points to fit your band". Can you tell be more? I joined WW 3 weeks ago (PointsPlus) and have GAINED 5 pounds !!!! The WW leader doesn't know about any differences for the band, and my next appointment with my lap band Dr isn't for another month. Looing for any advice to get me on the right track so I don't continue to gain. Thanks, Karen

Hi! I am a lifetime member of WW. I've been a member for the past 35 years. I was always good at losing weight--the problem--keeping it off. I've been a yo-yo dieter for most of my adult life which isn't good, so I'm going to get the LAP-BAND surgery and begin anew. My WW leader in my hometown is also a member of my church, and she is not too happy that I am having the surgery. But, we all have to do what is best for us! WW is always going to find fault of us, but just push it aside and do what's right for you.

Note to 'BethfromVA'--Where in Virginia do you live? I live in Victoria, work at Longwood University, and am being banded in Richmond hopefully in September. Would love to talk with you. Peg