Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Stop Thinking About Food?!

Serenity, I forgot to add, I am 54 also and also play the piano. I think we are band twins! lol.

Wanna do a duet?

I am taking lessons, I just don't pratice enough. :thumbup:

Right now working on The Entertainer and Amazing Grace. Good thing I have a digital piano and can turn down the volume! I took lessons as a kid for 5 years, thought it all would come back...NOT!

Maryrose, we both play the piano, we both think about food. Yes, I knew I had a sister my folks didn't tell me about! lol Duet? I'm there!

I guess it's just about acceptance--that I may always think about food, and if it gets better that's a plus. If not, thank goodness for therapy and support meetings! My surgeon has a psychologist on the team, and she facilitates a group she calls "Eating normally." It's good in that I look forward to it every month.

So, whenever I think about eating, I'm sending you a message and bringing my piano over! lol

Debbie

Serenity, sounds like a plan!

Those monthly sessions sound like a great idea. We have a phychologist too, but it can take up to a month to see her she is flat out busy.

I does get easier serenity, just hang in there. :cool2:

Serenity now! Ever watch Seinfeld?

Thank you, maryrose.

No, I never watched Seinfeld.

And yes, the eating normally support group is very informative. A lot of the stuff we talk about I already knew, or suspected I did, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

I'm glad to know it gets better.

Good luck with your piano lessons! I don't practice nearly as much as I should, either, but I volunteer twice a month at the hospital where I had my surgery. They have a piano in the lobby, and I play for a few hours. It's really nice. I also am going to be musical director for a show; auditions are in July, so I'm playing the piano a lot more than I have been.

Debbie

Debbie,

That is wonderful that you volunteer and play. I was just talking about that the other day to a co-worker.

I would like to maybe play for a hospital or nursing home if I can brush up and feel confident enough.

Wow, I would love to do a show. That sounds like soooo much fun!

Even playing in church would be nice. I really like hymms, they are pretty songs.

It is a lot of work though. The professionals make it look so easy, but it's not. Even after 1 and 1/2 years taking my lessons, I don't even feel confident to play for anyone yet.

Citygirl4616...you are awesome...sharing the wisdom of your personal experience...I just had to thank you! Sharing with us what you've learned from your therapist is incredibly selfless..thank you I appreciate it. You give us hope that along with this "tool" we can and will overcome our obsessions with food.< /p>

I hate calling it that. I guess I've never been honest with myself. Boy have I got some healing to do.

Thanks everyone--reading this thread has been so informative. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things after having to be unfilled and gaining a bunch of weight back...ugh =( Anyway, I've been a foodie my whole life and I love cooking, so trying to stop thinking about food has been a real issue for me. I think I will try therapy, though...what kind of stuff do you guys discuss? Do you have any tricks to pass along? Thanks =)

Why would you want to part ways with something you obviously enjoy doing ... COOKING??? I am trying to focus on finding new recipes and ideas that are still "on plan". Like, the other day, at a restaurant, I had a piece of grilled salmon that had a teriyaki sauce on it, a glaze. So now I'm working on trying to duplicate that. And once I figure that out, it will be something else. In a way, it's a bigger challenge without 5 pounds of butter in the fridge and a canister full of sugar!

I am about 15 months post surgery, and just about at my goal weight (and have been for several months). I have physically hit my sweet spot, buy psychologically, I still have major food issues. Luckily, I have a great therapist who is helping me work through them, but just because your doctor gives you the tools to feel 'full', it doesn't mean the desire to eat will go away.

I am sure 99% of us got overweight by eating for emotional reasons. Those reasons don't just disappear because of surgery. When I have had a stressful day, all I want to do is sit down to a huge plate of Pasta. Of course, as I delve further into my reasons for overeating in therapy, I am finding better ways to deal with the obsessional food thinking that can still haunt me.

The urges and cravings will eventually go away, but you need to figure out how you got overweight in the first place, and what role has food played in your life. It can still be very pleasurable, but when I am craving a bowl of pasta...2 or 3 bites can satisfy me now...and I really enjoy those 2 or 3 bites!

Wow, citygirl, you hit the nail on the head. I was going to write myself but I just have to quote you! I, too have done really well with my band and I know that it has been a great tool but getting through the emotional stuff is part of it too. Isn't it amazing to actually be satisfied with those 2 or 3 bites!

The band is a great thing but it does require some work on our part as well. Good Luck to everyone on their band journeys!

I have very little restriction and I've intentionally kept it that way. I have few foods that I can't tolerate, and that's really what I wanted with my band. But, because of that choice, I have to use more control over not eating when I'm not hungry.

As you get more restriction, it gets PHYSICALLY easier, but let's face it....you wouldn't have been a candidate if this was strictly physical. Keep up the great work. The desire to pick and eat "wrong" foods never goes away...but your control over those things does get stronger as you hit your stride. Don't give up!! :tt2:

luv2- I admire you for that! I keep myself really restricted, I know that my 10cc band can handle 5.1-5.3cc without problems and I keep it there because I am terrified that I would lose control if I unfilled some. Thank you for posting this. It gives me hope that with enough work on my part, I will let go of some restriction and feel more confident in my control over food eventually.

I have found that the want for food will never go away and I'm 8 months out so far. The good thing however, is the band gives me the willpower to stop. As long as there is no hunger, I can put the food down. When I was hungry pretty much all the time, there was no stopping me. Do I still want that chocolate milkshake? Sure. But when my stomach is full and not growling, it makes things tolerable.