Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

results not typical

good morning;

i was banded on oct 6th 2008 by Dr. Paya in west hills, ca...i started out my journey at 296 pounds....yesterday was my 6th month post-op anniversary...i am down to 181.4 pounds...i do have a lap band...i am NOT a bypass patient...i understand these results are not typical....i was told by my surgeon it would probably take me 16 months to lose 100 pounds...i do follow the program to a t....and exercise a lot!!!!!!!!!!!! i have spoke to a few people that are saying its not good to have lost this much weight so fast....my suregeon knows how much weight i've lost and doesnt see a problem with my #'s...i was wondering if there is anyone else thats banded and has lost as much weight in a short amount of time...and what your surgeon has told you....i feel fine...i have plenty of energy...my only complaint is the amount of hair i'm losing...i would really love to hear that its okay to lose this much....this fast....

The Hair loss may be a sign of malnutrition.

Hi 2Fly,

I think I'm following suit here. I've been banded just barely over 2 months and I'm down exactly 70 pounds. (102 pounds if I count pre-surgery weight loss).

My doctor is extremely pleased with my results. I haven't had any hair loss, but I also get in usually 50 of protein/day and all my Protein comes from food. I also exercise 6-7 times a week at the gym, and I do a lot of walking.

I have also lost more than is generally expected, my Dr said that most people lose about 50% of their weight I have lost all in less than 12 months.

I also lost a lot of hair in the first 6 months and My Doc said it was because of the shock to my system of losing so much weight it had nothing to do with malnutrition. I am happy to say as my weight loss has slowed my hair has grown back just as it was.

You have done well and if your Dr thinks you are healthy then thats the person that knows.

Its great to hear from people who have lost lots of weight quickly, we read so many posts from people who have lost less weight than they thought that I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me that I have done so well. I have lost 90lbs since last August.

We should start a new club- the fast losers club! Any one who says losing weight is bad for you is simply jealous. Your doctor is happy with you and thats the important thing.

Sue

Hi Sue, I think you should start a group for fast losers. It really is a fantastic idea. I'd join up straight away!

I also hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but it'd be nice to have a place where I don't have to read about people gorging on 1000 calorie chicken wings and other unhealthy crap. lol. It gets depressing reading it sometimes. I guess at this point in my life I want to surround myself with some positive energy.

I will join too. My mind and body were both in the right place and the weight just fell off, Im not going to apologise for that. Good on us

i am going June 4 for my lap band. I started working out with a personal trainer to get my body used to working out. I started in Sept only able to do 1 minute on ellipticle (spelling) and now I can do 30-45. How long do I have to wait after surgery to get back into the gym?

I saw how some of you said you work out a lot - which is what I hope to do as well. And also I would like to join you fast loser club!!

i am going June 4 for my lap band. I started working out with a personal trainer to get my body used to working out. I started in Sept only able to do 1 minute on ellipticle (spelling) and now I can do 30-45. How long do I have to wait after surgery to get back into the gym?

I saw how some of you said you work out a lot - which is what I hope to do as well. And also I would like to join you fast loser club!!

Hey that's great about your increased endurance! Congrats! As far as getting back into the gym, I hate to give this canned response, but it's best to discuss it with your doctor. I know you will be on some weight restrictions, but those are usually lifted after 6 weeks. After surgery, you'll want to walk walk walk, so even if you cant do the eliptical right away, you can still go to the gym and walk on a track or use the treadmill, that way you can still stay in the routine of going to the gym. If I remember correctly, I was doing full cardio at about 2-3 weeks after surgery.

Hey there.. I am also a fast loser.. today is my 10 month bandiversary and I have lost 124 pounds. I agree we need a fast losers club!!!! Congrats on all your successes (sp?)

Wow!! Congrats to all of you for doing so well!!

I just wanted to point you all in the direction of a sub-forum here. It is specific for those who are fast losers.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f138/

I would also just like to chime in here a bit, some do struggle here - and being that this is a support website it would be nice if we could all be kind to one another. If it is your preference not to read threads where some people are reaching out for help while struggling, then simply don't.

That being said, again CONGRATS!! There is nothing wrong with losing quickly, and really the only way that is going to be accomplished is to do the right thing 99% of the time!

hairloss-----malnutrition is very correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At my pre-op class yesterday they said hairloss is almost always a sign that you are not getting enough Protein...

its actually improved a whole lot since i've posted this thread.....wiping the sweat of my 4-head....lol

Thanks for chiming in Lil Miss Diva!! I am a slow looser but that doesnt mean I am gorging on 1000 calorie chicken wings. You are correct about choosing what threads to read. Congrats to all on your success! I am happy with mine slow as it may be. Good luck everyone!