Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with foods

Hi All,

I need a bit of help. I am having trouble keeping any type of meat down. It keeps getting stuck. I think the problem is I am eating it to dry and to fast. I don't really get a lunch break at work and tend to eat food during meetings (today I was eating chicken and had to leave the meeting 3 times to bring the food back).

I am thinking of going to the health food shop and getting some of that whey Protein to put in some smoothies so I can get Protein and fruit down me.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I have to admit it is getting me down a bit.

Sunshine23

As you said you are eating it too dry and too fast so we know the problem just need to solve it. At home don't allow distraction during your meal. Practice eating slower and taking smaller bites, chewing well and waiting for your next bite. Making this habit is very important for long term happy life with the band and it does eventually become habit. Until you get accustomed to eating slower eat softer Proteins in public settings (fish, Beans, cottage cheese) but still do your best to focus on small bites and chewing well. Add broth sauce or gravy to make the chicken more tender and don't overcook the meat, marinades or cooking it in liquid helps. It took time for me to be able to concentrate on eating properly in a group setting but it is all second nature to me now.

As you said you are eating it too dry and too fast so we know the problem just need to solve it. At home don't allow distraction during your meal. Practice eating slower and taking smaller bites, chewing well and waiting for your next bite. Making this habit is very important for long term happy life with the band and it does eventually become habit. Until you get accustomed to eating slower eat softer Proteins in public settings (fish, Beans, cottage cheese) but still do your best to focus on small bites and chewing well. Add broth sauce or gravy to make the chicken more tender and don't overcook the meat, marinades or cooking it in liquid helps. It took time for me to be able to concentrate on eating properly in a group setting but it is all second nature to me now.

Thanks Jodi,

Think I just wanted confirmation that I was not going mad and that I am not the only one that this happens to.

I am off to the dieticien and the surgeion this morning. Hoping to have a fill as find that I am snacking to much when I can eat ok.

Sunshine23

chicken is still giving me fits, too. I am about to stop trying to eat it.

Mimi

chicken, Turkey, Lamb and white bread are my problem foods. The sad thing is chicken is one of my favorites but what the hell if I can't eat it !!! Funny thing is I can eat Steak.

Sunshine23

Hi,

I have been eating minced meats fine. I struggled with chicken before the band and now it is impossible to eat unless it is minced. I use the minced chicken in stirfries etc. Lamb Koftas are good too... minced lamb with spices compacted on a stick and grilled/bbq.

Minced beef means I can have Tacos, spag bolognese or meatballs....

I havent even tried to tackle steak.

Not eating bread is killing me!!

Cant eat red meat unless minced at all, even when it feels fine when I eat it, the next day I can still taste it and nothing else will go down until I get rid of it. I have given up trying and can still eat chicken and fish (lots of fish). I have become a creature of habit since the band I only eat what I know, every day since school started I have had 2 cruskits and a tin of tuna for lunch but it doesnt bother me and I dont get bored and lots of salad and stir fried vegies, it seems to be working I have reached my goal and havnt moved for 6 months.

Edited by nat36

I have used all of these on different occasions to help Protein slide on in:

broths [homemade and packaed]

olive oil

tehina [check out this recipe for sunniyeh, a middle eastern meat and tehina dish:
]

hoummous

porridges (cornmeal,rice, buckwheat, barley)

tomato sauce/juice

Go get 'em Sunshine!