Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No movement on scale is frustrating

Hello all,

I was banded at the end of Dec. and since then have lost 44lbs. (still 70 more to go) Yes, I am very happy that I have lost that much BUT for the past 2 1/2 weeks I have not lost an ounce and have actually gained 1 lb.

What is up with that? I had a fill about 3 weeks ago, my first and it ended up being too tight. Go figure that 1cc would be too tight so I had .25 removed. I'm not getting as stuck anymore and the reflux has subsided but the scale still refuses to move.

I also started exercising (hadnt dont anything prior to a month ago) and have been faithfuly attending the gym and swimming 4x per week and still NOTHING! ARGH!

I have heard the "you're building muscle and it weighs more than fat" line but the trainer says thats bull, not that it doesnt weigh more than fat, but that if you are building muscle then you're also losing that fat so there should be some movement.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I am tracking my food, exercising and trying to eat right. I'm also taking a number of really high quality Vitamins (Purchased through the Doctor) to boost my health.

Anyone with advice? I am just at a loss and need some support.

Thanks,

Poodles

How often do you eat? Try eating small 4-6oz meals every 3 hours.. That will keep your metabolism running high. eat 80% Protein, 20% complex carbs. Sounds like you metabolism slowed down abit. Give it some time and the weight will come off. I seem to lose weight in chunks. Slow weight loss followed by very fast. Everyone is different. Good luck:biggrin:

You've just hit a plateau, we all have them. I had around four so far through my weight loss.

When I reach a plateau, I switch up what I am eating. Eat a little more than normal for a few days and drink even more Water. Eventually the weight loss starts up again.

What is your calorie intake per day?

My calorie intake is always under 1500, usually 1200ish. I know that some people say between 800-1000 but that is just way too low for me and I cant sustain that.

And speaking of calories and intake something has made me curious.

Why is it that when you are trying to lose weight like on WW etc. without weight loss surgery, they will tell you and the Dr. will tell you not to go below 1200. Everything I read says that women shouldnt go below 1200 but once you have weight loss surgery you are advised to go to 800? It doesnt make sense to me. Even a child eats over 800/day.

Anyway, I am certain its a plateau but I think I am a big baby and NEED to see progress often. I am convinced that it was always plateaus that stopped me from being successful prior to the band b/c once it stopped moving...I stopped trying. Now I have no choice but thats ok,

Thanks for the tips.

I'm in the same place...I also had my surgery in Dec have lost 34lbs - so well done you 44!!! - but haven't seen any movement in the last 6 weeks or so... For me it's a lot more obvious as I've not been very good lately and I'm struggling to limit my calories. I've been on holiday and haven't been as strict as I should be.

I think that your body gets used to less calories - try switching the calories up to about 1700 one day, then down for a day or two then up again... that seemed to work for me when I was losing the weight... it tricks your body into losing more I think.

Good luck and stick with it!! I've got to get back in the gym - am going today!

s xxx

I was advised to stay around 800 until I started to get fills but not now. I don't think there is a magic calorie intake number for everyone or even one individual. It depends on metabolism, size and activity level. As you lose weight all of those factors change as do your needs. You certainly want to watch that you are not consistently getting too low or too high of a calorie level, which is why I asked about calories here, but don't obsess too much on a number.

Mine averages around 1200 but some days I go above the 1500 threshold and some days I go below 1200. I don't obsess over calorie counting. I eat good quality food, colorful fresh fruits and veggies and fresh lean meats. I listen to my body and eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full (not too full). If it gets to the point that it regularly takes too much food to reach satiation and/or I am hungry before my next meal then I get a fill. Don't forget to stay well hydrated too.

Edited by Jodi_620

I am in a similar place as you, but have been reassured by my surgeon that indeed, muscle does weigh more than fat and it takes a lot of muscle to work out a 200 lb + person. My surgeon advised I not weigh myself but once a week, and really test my clothing and how it fits more than the scale.

I also agree with switching up things - - I tend to lose 4 lbs fast, and then nothing for a week. When I mix up my food, and my excercise I then seem to break through the plateau.

You are doing great!

poodles: Even without weight loss surgery a woman should be able to lose weight on 1200-1500 calories even without exercising. We burn at least that many calories for metabolism, digestion, respiration, etc... Add exercise to that (as you have) and you should be losing. But at some point your body does hit a plateau. For each 10 pounds that you lose, you need 150 fewer calories to maintain that weight. So let's say you needed 2000 calories to maintain 200 lbs. When you lose 10 pounds and now weight 190 you only need 1850 to maintain that weight. At 180 you now only need 1700 to maintain that weight...and so on. And we all know about the 3500 calories per pound. So, you will eventually start to lose again. Your body is adjusting. And I TOTALLY agree with you that 800-1000 calories a day is too little - especially if you're hungry (like me). If that many calories satisfies you, then great. But you sound like me in that you need more calories than that.

I was banded in Sept. and have only lost 10 pounds from the band (60# prior to and right after banding - on the liquids only - who wouldn't lose weight on that) so you've done great losing 44. It can be frustrating but with the band weight loss is slow. Hang in there and good luck.

Cleo's Mom...I'm so glad you told me about the weight changing as you lose....I didn't know that. I thought that even at 150 the calories to stay the same would be similar to what it is at 220...ugh. I'm not happy to know that but I'm glad I do...LOL What the heck will I eat at 150? Holy smoke...not a lot of food! I'm a hungry girl now!

So this morning the scale FINALLY moved 2lbs down. What the heck? I supposed it matters that I am also constipated (sorry to be graphic) Is this normal for bandsters? Its a constant thing with me. And adding Fiber does not help me. Still the same old thing. Now let me add junk and I'm FINE! weird...

I have been working out so hard which is something that I have NEVER done in my entire 45 years of living that its discouraging to not have it show on the scae. In truth I don't want to work out. I want to watch TV with a bag of chips...lol BUT I did not go through all this to fail.

I don't want to say these words but if I were to fail this I think I'd really give up b/c I looked at this as sort of my 'last chance'. Scary to write that but its true.

So anyway, thank you for the excellent advice on this subject. I'll probably write again at the next plateau...lol

Help!

I stalled out for 5 weeks when I upped my walking to 7 - 10 miles a day. I cut back on my walking to a couple of miles a day on average and suddenly dropped 4 lbs overnight.

My last two fills were .5 cc and .4 CC, so Im not surprised 1.0 cc was too tight of a fill for you. My doctor uses fluro and barium swallow to prevent being too tight. Sounds to me like your fill doctor isnt doing them with fluro and waching the barium go down if they filled you too tight.

How much are you exercising?? You may be building muscle and burning so many calories your body is conserving them. Lots of exercise usually slows down the scale because muscle weighs more than fat.

So this morning the scale FINALLY moved 2lbs down. What the heck? I supposed it matters that I am also constipated (sorry to be graphic) Is this normal for bandsters? Its a constant thing with me. And adding Fiber does not help me.

there is a thread on Miralax down on the general threads. A lot of us are taking it. Not dangerous like laxatives, which can make the colon bleed and cause diverculitis (sp). Fiber didnt work for me either. I bought every kind of fiber on the market. Found miralax, and its a wonder drug!!! expensive, used to be prescription until less than 2 years ago, so no generic for it yet.

poodles: yes, it does seem like we are punished for losing weight by having to eat less and less to maintain or continue losing. You already started to lose again so whatever you're doing is right. Keep up the good work. I'm with you on the potato chip thing - they have the same value to me as street drugs do for a junkie. LOL. You can keep your chocolate, sweets and ice cream, just give me chips - which is why they cannot be in my house. Ever. Keep up the good work and good luck.

I lost around 90 pounds, exercise like crazy and eat fine.

went on holiday 2 weeks ago, problem getting back to excersing. I am eating like before surgery, have to get back on the wagon. when I'm good the scale will only move 1-2 pounds every 4-5 weeks. it gets harder as you get closer to goal. thanks for the tips on calerios,

and good luck to all. I go for a fill next week, I did not want to but I think it will get me back on tract. I have 1.7 cc in a 5cc band and will a .5 cc fill.