Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 lbs/ week a realistic expectation?

My surgery is scheduled for April 9th and I won't find out if I need to do the pre-op liquid diet until this Wednesday. Assuming I lose no weight BEFORE the surgery, what is a realistic weight loss per week? Is 2 pounds too much to expect? If not, how long did you experience such numbers before plateauing?

Also, I have an 8 month old and know I am not supposed to pick him up for 2 weeks post op, but did anyone start lifting thier baby about 1 week post op? (My husband works until 8 pm. Aside form driving 45 minutes to my mother's each afternoon I have no way around lifting my son out of the car seat when I get home. I'd really liike to avoid driving that much on a daily basis).

Two pounds a week is certainly a realistic expectation. Don't expect to lose two pounds every week, though, as that's not going to happen; you're going to plateau, more than once. Over time, though, the loss can certainly average out to two pounds a week.

My surgery was a year ago today and, since then I've lost just over 104 pounds. I plateaued a lot and some weeks even gained a pound or two, but there were also weeks where I lost four or five pounds, or more. So the two pounds per week guideline applies in my case, but only as an average.

This isn't to say that you should expect it, though; people lose differently. Aspire to it, but don't get upset if it's not happening for you. Losing is losing, no matter how long it takes.

gwyllgi couldn't have said it better! i didn't quite make it to an average of 2 lbs a week but over all i did my best and that's what matters! sometimes i dont lose, sometimes i gain a pound and sometimes i lose 3. just do you best to stick to the plan your surgeon gives you and your body will try to keep up with you. good luck!

Hi--I have a one year old and I had the same worries about lifting that you did. I had my surgury on Monday, March 16th. I could lift my daughter by Wednesday. Lifting her wasn't that hard. Bending over was hard for a while. Getting up from laying down was hard for about 5 days.

If you can get help for a day or two after surgery, you'll be fine!

My surgery is scheduled for April 9th and I won't find out if I need to do the pre-op liquid diet until this Wednesday. Assuming I lose no weight BEFORE the surgery, what is a realistic weight loss per week? Is 2 pounds too much to expect? If not, how long did you experience such numbers before plateauing?

Also, I have an 8 month old and know I am not supposed to pick him up for 2 weeks post op, but did anyone start lifting thier baby about 1 week post op? (My husband works until 8 pm. Aside form driving 45 minutes to my mother's each afternoon I have no way around lifting my son out of the car seat when I get home. I'd really liike to avoid driving that much on a daily basis).

On average people lose about 1-2 pounds a week with a band. But... that's an average. In the beginning you lose weight quickly, I lost 33# in 33 days after my band. But it slows down as you lose weight and in the end it can take you two weeks to lose a pound when you are close to goal. So the 1-2 pounds is an average throughout your weight loss journey.

It depends on what you eat and how much you exercise. I lost 108# in 10 months, my friend gained 50# after banding. It's not the band, it's us. If you want to lose faster then work harder.

Iv lost 2 lbs a week a lot of weeks, and then didnt lose anything for about 5 weeks, so it comes and goes. I expected to be almost to 150 lbs by now, and Im barely under 160, 158 or 159 now. I was banded July 9th.