Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Advice on Getting "Unstuck" Quickly?

I have experienced having food get "stuck" a few times in the past few times. Generally it's when I just forget and take too large of a bite or don't chew long enough. Last week however, was the absolute worst experience. We were having a group lunch to Celebrate my boss' birthday. I had just taken a bit of my chicken and someone told a joke. I started laughing and that made me swallow that piece of chicken before it was fully chewed. Needless to say, within a minute I knew I was in big trouble. I pretended my pager went off and left the party to head to my office.

Thankfully I have a private office where I was able to close the door and sit at my desk...in horrible pain from that piece of chicken. Luckily I did not have anywhere I HAD to be for a while so I was able to wait this out. But as I sat there, with my wastebasket on my lap, I wondered if there wasn't some way...other than sticking my finger down my throat to make myself throw up the blockage, to get past this faster.

Even though I know we are not to drink during a meal, would having a big swig of liquid help me get unstuck? What has worked for others in this situation? I am finding myself getting really paranoid when it's time to eat at work.

I would love to get some advice from others who have found ways to deal with getting stuck at terribly inconvenient times.

When I drink and am stuck the liquid doesn't usually stay down... It's not even like it's throwing up....it just has no where to go but fills the space and just "comes back up". Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get the stuck food up too but not always. If not, it's even more miserable. I get stuck less often as time goes by. It becomes "normal" to chew and chew...Not that it will help in your most recent circumstance. I think I've heard drinking a mix of meat tenderizer and Water works--if you can get it to stay down. I'm sure someone else can comment on that since I don't have any experience in that area. Walking makes it better too...but I don't think anything is really quick.

I think it's just a side effect we will have to learn to deal with on occassion.

Good luck!

I'd just like to add that I'm extra careful at work but have had an occassion where I had to make it to the bathroom VERY quickly. I just went into a stall and hoped no one else was in there. There was...thankfully there was no heaving and I was able to cover up the sound with the flushing of the toilet. Not fun. Then I just waited for them to leave before I came out... :huh2: I don't want everyone to think I became anorexic to lose weight!

I've read on here about people using a bit of pineapple juice and swishing it around---something about the enzymes in the pineapple, also I've heard of people keeping papaya tablets handy. I've been stuck only a couple of times, one time I was eating a bit of chinese fried rice and apparantly I didn't chew the egg thoroughly and it literally came back up in seconds. My doctor says that when you get food stuck if you drink Water, it is just going to stay there b/c the food is blocking your esophoguas and no water will be able to get down either. Try walking and putting your arms over your head and kind of stretching. Good luck!

I've heard the same as Mrs_Angel, when you drink after it just sits on top of the food and you can actually risk stretching out your pouch this way. Same thing if you drink within an hour after eating.

I haven't had it happen yet but I think I would still just try to throw it up!

I just bought some papaya enzyme today. I don't know what it does or how it works. Does anyone have any information for me. I'm hoping it will help that uncomfortable feeling. When I feel that way I DO stick my finger down my throat. (Gotta stop that)

My only problem with the papaya enzyme (or the meat tenderizer/water mix, in fact) is this: If it works to dissolve meat, chicken, or pork, it will also work on my esophagus. No thanks. I just try to not get stuck and when it happens, wait it out. No fingers down my throat for me (it never has worked for me) and liquid...OMG I thinbk that would strangle me. The one time I forgot and got a swallow of Water to help something go down, the water plopped out like I was a fountain or something. SOMETIMES my husband whamming me in the back between the shoulder blades helps whatever move on through, but not always.

The enzymes in the papaya and pineapple help with digestion and digestive health. It is recommended from my doctor personally, and I do not think he would recommend something that would dissolve my esophogus.

On top of the fact that my doctor recommends it, when you're stuck, it REALLY hurts and chewing a great tasting pill that relieves the pain and "stuck" episode very quickly, is really all I care about at the time. Just my .02

The papaya enzymes do not hurt the esophagus, but drinking the meat tenderizer mixed with Water will, so stay away from that. Health food stores carry the papaya enzyme, I've also found it in regular grocery stores as well.

This sounds really gross but in my booklet from the doctor is said if you get meat stuck, try a teaspoon of meat tenderizer in 4oz of warm Water and sip slowly.

I've heard the same as Mrs_Angel, when you drink after it just sits on top of the food and you can actually risk stretching out your pouch this way. Same thing if you drink within an hour after eating.

I haven't had it happen yet but I think I would still just try to throw it up!

If you drink a little Water, bend over the sink or toilet and give gentle pushes under your diaphragm, the water comes right up, and for me, everything stuck then comes right behind it.

meat tenderizer is just an enzyme extracted from the papaya, called papain. Adolphs, for example, also contains a bit of salt, flavoring, and anti-caking powder.< /p>

Before the op there was no way I could make myself vomit. Now, if I get something stuck (which is pretty regularly because I am still getting used to the band!), if I lean forward over the sink/toilet and dry wretch, up it comes...

I use the Water trick and it works for me every time. It kind of seems to flush things back up. Really gross and really unpleasant, but really works.

The leaning over thing works for me too if there is no Water handy. Just lean over as far as I can and out it comes. Again, gross, but works.

The best is the water trick though for me.