Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cost of surgery

Hi,

I am just wondering what the cost of the surgery is if u do not have private health and how long ppl have waited in the public system, specifically in perth?

also what weight ppl started at to be considered for the op?

Hi, I can't really help you with your questions, but i'll try! I am looking to be banded in a couple of months at a cost of $3400 in the private system (I am in Melbourne). I believe it is between about $10,000 - $16,000 to have the operation without insurance and the public waiting list is around 2 years.

I think you have to have a BMI of at least 35 to be considered for the operation.

This is just from reading different things other people have said, so I am not quite sure how accurate it all is!

Hi there, I am not covered by insurance and I went through Dr Balir Bowden at the Wesley Private Hospital in Brisbane.. It cost $19000 all up, but you do get a bit back from medicare, and you can also claim it at tax time.. I think you get 20c back out of every dollar you spent.. There are some surgeons who will operate in a public hospital, which will cost let..I dont regret it one bit..

It was worth every cent.

I seen a surgeon about public banding and he told me the chances of being banded within 2 years was slim to none so I joined private health waited 12 months to the day and was banded and have not looked back. Waiting 12 months for private health to kick in seems like forever but it goes quickly.

I have been on the Public Waiting list for 1 yr now my surgury is in a few weeks, at the beginning i was told that thie waiting list is about 18 months- 2 yrs but i have waited less, but it may have something to do with the fact that Dr Dolan is no longer taking Public Patients.

Cost wise so far i have only paid $150 for my first appintment and $60 for my pre op appointment.

I get 3 free appointments with the dietition

Hope that gives u some idea, this is just my experience

:(

wow your lucky to be getting your lap band on the public waiting list. ive just paid just under 10000.00 for mine. i tried to get on the waiting list but i was told i wasnt fat enough yep thats what the sugeon said. mind you i was 156 cm and 123 kilos. so i think i was fat enough. then the second time i tried i was told that i had to have diabetes which i dont have so i gave up. :biggrin:anyway dosnt matter im getting done on the 10 june. so yay for me

I will be having my surgery on 3rd July 2009 and it will cost $4000 with private insurance. Without I think it was around $14000.

I am in Melbourne going through the Centre for Bariatric Surgery.

I was on the public system and waited just over a year but in saying that my hospital had to wait for funding for it and still didn't have it when I got done. I've heard of some hospitals waiting lists being as long as 15 years which is absolutely ridiculous. The usual amount of weight to be considered is about 50kgs over weight. But if you have things like severe co-morbidities that would alleviate with the surgery I think it helps a bit. Good luck with everything =)

I live in brisbane and have no private health cover. The best way i have found to try and keep my costs down is by finding a doctor who does it 'Intermediately' meaning it is done as a private patient in a public hospital I have my appt with the surgeon next Friday and have been told the waiting list is back to December but by doing it through him my surgery will only cost $7200. He is also assisting me with paying for the op with help either withdrawing money from my super or their is a company called mediplan which is like a finance company that loans for surgery like lapband.

Hope this helps...keep up the fight!!!

hey there,

i recently got mine done in hobart, and am with MBF, they dont cover much, medicare are fatastic with the surgeon and anaesthic.

his private fees was $2000, then money back from that, so in total about $1600.

his public is $7000 ish. im a nurse in a public hospitial and the waiting list can go up to 3 years

i started at 122kg and im hoping to see my toes soon, but i need to get my a into gear at get to the gym!

i wish you the best of luck!

I have my surgery booked in with Dr Greenslade in Brisbane. By going intermediate (private in public hospital) I am paying only $7200 for the surgery. Waiting list about 5-6 months....what a Xmas present eh!

I'm super excited about the surgery. The start of a whole new me. :blush::thumbup::blush::thumbup:

And its great to check out other people success stories. You guys are keeping me going. Only 3 mths to go!!