Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is God real?

My son asked me last night why some people who never heard about Jesus in other countries may not go to heaven. God says that all mankind will have an opportunity to believe in him in their own hearts. A man who never heard the word 'christianity' or the name 'Jesus' will still have no excuse before God, because nature and all creation itself reveals to mankind that there is a creator and a God. So even a man who lives in Timbucktoo and is without civilization or a bible can ponder in their hearts if there is a God and be able to come to a conclusion.

It's funny that you should mention this because I heard a pastor talking about that not long ago. He said that there isn't anywhere in the world that hasn't heard about christ. I don't know how true it is, but it is interesting.

It's funny that you should mention this because I heard a pastor talking about that not long ago. He said that there isn't anywhere in the world that hasn't heard about christ. I don't know how true it is, but it is interesting.

That one would be pretty easy to disprove.

And it's this "exit clause" that makes me extremely reluctant to tell somebody that they're not going to make it into heaven.....Bottom line, only God makes that call.

I don't understand. what exit clause?

I, too, would never tell anybody whether they were going to make it to heaven or not. I agree that only God knows what's in a mans thoughts and heart.

Do you think that's true? Because I would think there has to be somewhere where the gospel of Jesus hasn't been spoken about. But I don't know. Even so, what about 500 or 1000 years ago and the people who were living then. Did they get to hear about him? What with no travel, TV, radio, or satellite dishes, how could they have?

I don't know, that is a good question. What about the people who died before Jesus came? Did they go to heaven too, or was there such a thing as heaven before Jesus? Now I'm really confused!

Preaching is commanded of God. "Go into all the world and tell others what you have heard." So if you want to call my 'telling' 'preaching', go ahead. And , Yes, I would love for all to agree with me. For I believe that what God has taught me to be true. Therefore, if it is true, if others don't believe it, they will go through their eternity with the absence of their creator. To me, it's of the utmost importance. For if what I believe is true, then this life is but a breath, and what matters is eternity.

As far as taking disagreement, I take that very well. Many people disagree with me. So what?

I'm wondering if the question "Is God real?" was posed because the author has doubts of her own.

If not, was it to convert non-belivers to her side? If that was the intent, I don't think it worked, maybe just the opposite, as she really revealed no proof to his existence.

I don't know, that is a good question. What about the people who died before Jesus came? Did they go to heaven too, or was there such a thing as heaven before Jesus? Now I'm really confused!

Those who lived before Jesus' time looked forward to a coming Savior and could put their faith in him for salvation, and those who lived after jesus' time (us) looked back to a Savior who came and could put their faith in him for salvation. And yes, there has always been such a thing as Heaven.

I'm wondering if the question "Is God real?" was posed because the author has doubts of her own.

If not, was it to convert non-belivers to her side? If that was the intent, I don't think it worked, maybe just the opposite, as she really revealed no proof to his existence.

The question was posed for a simple reason... It is good for man to ponder it.

If non believers came to believe, that would be nice. It is ultimately every mans responsibility to seek and search for themselves whether God is real or not. The bible teaches that if men seek after God, He will reveal himself to them.

I can not 'prove' to anyone that God is real. That takes personal faith. I can only share what I know of him, and my own experiences with him. I, for one, have no doubt whatsoever that God is real and He does exist.

Here is an interesting experience that my husband and I had. We had just finished having sex one morning and seconds later my 2 year old son, Jeremiah, ran through our bedroom door and jumped on the bed for hugs. He quickly pointed to my stomach and said, Mommy, you have a baby in there!" My husband and I looked at each other in shock, and said, "Who's he, Jeremiah the prophet?" and started laughing. We wondered how he could know about babies in stomachs, cause he was so young and we never taught him anything like that. He actually just learned to talk not much before that. We didn't think about it again until two weeks later when I hadn't gotten my period. I was always right on time, so when I was just 2 days late, I bought a pregnancy test and it was positive. We looked at each other and recalled the moment of conception and how Jeremiah 'fortold' this news to us. God,being the author of life,certainly has a sense of humor, and he uses even the little children to reveal himself and make himself known.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volcano lady

The question was posed for a simple reason... It is good for man to ponder it.

If non believers came to believe, that would be nice. It is ultimately every mans responsibility to seek and search for themselves whether God is real or not. The bible teaches that if men seek after God, He will reveal himself to them.

I can not 'prove' to anyone that God is real. That takes personal faith. I can only share what I know of him, and my own experiences with him. I, for one, have no doubt whatsoever that God is real and He does exist.

It was posted because fundamentalists think it is their job to "save souls". I'm a spiritual person and believe in God, but I really really REALLY get pretty sick of this fundamentalist crap everywhere I turn. Jeez!! Give it a rest, people!!

There is nothing wrong with a strong adherence to a set of beliefs dispite critiscm or unpopularity.

Just a thought though, if you are a spiritual believer in God, then do you agree that one of your responsibilities to him is to share your beliefs with others? What about Jesus' parable of the talents in Matthew 25, where we see his anger at keeping the good news to yourself?

For me "yes" God is real. I believe that too much of an emphasis has been placed on the religous doctrine that each denomination has. Every religion has their own and it is based on what man's interpretation is. With that being said I do believe that the Bible is the word of God based on on what mans interpretation of it is.

I believe in having a "personal" relationship with God and Jesus. I believe that we all have free will to choose to believe or not to believe. It is a personal decision for everyone.

As far as different cultures having different gods for me the explination is simple..most have one god that is above the others even though they may worship other gods.

I have always believed the quickest way to get someone not to accept your views or beliefs is to try and force it upon them.

I believe that if god exists He, well, I believe that His very own nature would be unknowable, ineffably sublime. That so many Americans seek a strong personal relationship with their god indicate that they would like to turn Him in a Little Buddy and that would be to diminish Him, to take away his extraordinary mystery and power, as it were. It strikes me that by claiming a personal god you have made Him over in your own image and, by doing, this you hav denied him some of the power and the glory that might be properly belonging to Him. How do you do this? By praying for a parking space. By praying for your team to win. These are shallow prayers, it seems to me for there are other folks who are anxious for parking spaces and equally anxious for their teams to win. Making Him into a Little Buddy of course permits one to place words in His mouth, does it not?

Actually, Jesus wants to be a friend. He wants to be like a best friend who you talk to about anything and everything. Nothing is too small for you to talk to him about. He wants to be like a friend you lean on in good times and bad. Oh no, I sound like a cheesy song now, so I'm going to end it there!

green, those who seek after God don't want a 'buddy' per se, they would like a relationship with their heavenly Father, the one who created them. Actually, God made man in his image, not the other way around. When I pray to God, I am simply 'talking' to him. It doesn't take away from his power or glory, because we don't speak directly to the father, we speak to him through his son, Jesus. Jesus is our mediator. Because God sent us his son, we can go boldly before his throne and ask anything in Jesus' name and God said that if it is according to his will, then we will have what we ask for.

What do you mean when you say that by making him your friend you are putting words in his mouth?