Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to get educated on LapBands

Hi all,

I am looking to understand the life after banding. The fills and when needed, Everything about life after banding. What if anything that you can't eat. ETC........

I had Gastric Bypass Surgery in June of 2003, and have lost 168#'s. Recently a friend was banded, and I am curious as to the differences between banding and the surgery. I would appreciate anything that you would like to share to help educate me in banding,

Thanks Wendy

Welcome to Bandland Wendy. Great work with your GB, btw.

Please feel free to use the search function for this website. You have asked a seemingly simple question, but as with so many things that seem simple on the onset, it is a very complex and large question. An onion, if you will. Layers upon layers.

We welcome you to this board, since you will be able to educate us on your procedure, and how you now live. Many of us have no idea what it is like for you, since we are experts in our bands, but don't understand what your day to day is like.

Please feel free to look at the FAQ section, that might answer some of your more general questions.

The Banding experiece is such an individule experience that it is next to impossible to generalize. For instance, I can eat cheese burgers, or at least part of one before I am full. My DH cannot have more than a bite. It will either get stuck or he will have a PB. I only have trouble with chicken, but he has far fewer things that he can tolerate. If he had and unfill he would have no trouble, but he is really tight right now. Me? I need a fill.

As for the actual mechanics, we have not had anything cut or re-routed. We are completely intact, and so we have no malabsorption issues. Bandsters lose weight slower than GB or RNY folks because we have no malabsorption, but we also have no window of opportunity. We can continue to adjust our bands tighter or looser as needed for our lives.

Many bandsters are frustrated becaue we want to loose weight as quickly as bypass folks, but then again I think we ar conditioned to want it now! People want a miricle, to have the weight fall right off. We are slower than you, but we will eventually get there.

I hope this helps. And again, welcome

<TABLE class=border cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5><COLGROUP><COL width="50%"><COL width="50%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2>The Sapala-Wood Micropouch®

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Operation

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Surgery-Step-3a.jpg In the Sapala-Wood Micropouch® operation the very top of the stomach is completely divided. It is not stapled. This division results in the creation of a small “micropouch” completely separate from the lower part of the stomach. This Sapala-Wood Micropouch® is about the size of a grape (1-2 cc).

The small intestine is divided into two ends. One end travels upward to be connected to the Sapala-Wood Micropouch®.The other end is attached downward to the side of the distal small intestine to complete the circuit. food travels down the esophagus, through the Sapala-Wood Micropouch®, to the intestine It bypasses the stomach. The bottom of the stomach no longer receives any food or liquids. But the stomach will still function because its nerve and blood supply are intact.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

yikes. Ok, maybe I wouldn't have done GB if I didn't get the band. I know I have always said that, but looking at the cut and paste is scary! So is the stomach a floating organ???

Me either ...

Hey Wendy congratulations on your success. My sister has GB surgery and gained back a lot of weight and now she is seeing a doctor about getting banded. I think banded was the best choice for me because it teaches me control in a gentle way. It gives me warnings and then it is on my if I don't listen. The band is adjustable so I have control over gaining or loosing.