Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bunny Bandsters - April '09, MASTER THREAD #1

Hi JT,

I feel your pain!! GERD became an issue for me too - especially at night. I was taking Nexium plus sleeping with my head elevated just to get through the night. I had the same concerns as you about the band maybe having slipped so had a gastroscopy and, fortunately, no damage anywhere but I did have a dilated pouch. I had all the Fluid removed from the band and instantly felt loads better.

I was supposed to go back weeks ago to have a barium swallow to check that my pouch was back to normal so I could start the fills again but, bugger it, I feel too good without any fill and I haven't returned for any refills. Yes, I've regained about 10 pounds but, for me, the upside from feeling better outweighs the downsides associated with that gain. I'm enjoying living normally again. Like a few others I never really lost a lot of weight in the first place though I lost enough to feel better and everytime I need to carry the 30lb litter bag for our kitties upstairs I think to myself - my god, no wonder I was always exhausted.

Love and my best regards to everyone

Lili

Ugh had nearly my whole post written and lost it.

Greetings fellow Bunnies! Hope everyone is well.

I've been having issues the last few weeks, I've had some additional weight lose but it's been costly.

I started being able to eat less and less solid foods and have mostly been doing Soups and Protein Drinks. My GERD issues got worse. I even started throwing up at night and then the throwing up started happening during the day.

I called my Dr last week and got scheduled for an unfill he took out 1cc I could feel some relief, Soup I had for lunch move through the band, but I panicked a bit and had him put half back in which resulted in .5cc being taken out. It takes a few days for me to actually tell how things are my symptoms didn't get better in fact last weekend was so bad I almost went to the ER. I got back in yesterday for an additional unfill and he took out all he could, 2.75cc, leaving about 1cc in according to him (my calculations show me having more).

I have to had an upperGI done and a EGD(?) scope to make sure my band hasn't slipped or something. All of this right before vacation.

One of my biggest concerns is if I have to have surgery to correct the band that it won't be covered by insurance.

So how's everyone else?

Feeling much better today. The pain in my band area stopped last night, I got up to get a drink and noticed it didn't hurt going down but of course I had to get a bite of mashed potatoes to make srue and again no pain. I have the barium (sp) swallow on Monday haven't setup the scope yet I'll call today to do that.

Feeling much better today. The pain in my band area stopped last night, I got up to get a drink and noticed it didn't hurt going down but of course I had to get a bite of mashed potatoes to make srue and again no pain. I have the barium (sp) swallow on Monday haven't setup the scope yet I'll call today to do that.

Thinking of you JT. Hope all goes well Monday.

Thinking of you JT. Hope all goes well Monday.

Thanks. I'm geeling much better had some loose sausage thie morning and even though felt full for a long time no issues had ground beef in Pasta Sauce for dinner and fell ok so I hope all is well,

Jaytee, sorry to hear about all of the trouble you have been having and glad to hear that you are feeling better these last few days. I haven't really had to many of the problems that you have but I do have days when certain foods just won't work for me and then sometimes on a different day I can eat it just fine. It seems to me like if I drink plenty of Water throughout the day then I don't have so much trouble eating food and keeping it down. Good luck to you and I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Regards,

Bee from Calie,

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same GERD issues as everyone else. I have not been back to see my doctor, but I'm constantly taking Pepcid AC or Zantac. I'm down 97lbs, with another 60-70lbs to go. I'd stalled for a few times over the years but this year, I have taken my diet and exercise seriously and have started losing again.

Now that I believe I have a firmer framework on what and how to eat, I'm not sure I need the band as much. I'm not that restricted but I still find it hard to get in all of the vegetables I think I need to eat in order to fuel my workouts appropriately. So I have been thinking about trying to get an unfill to see if that helps with the choking at night (which is the worst part of the GERD). For those of you that have gotten unfilled...does that help with the reflux?

Haven't been on in awhile...and I've been a terrible blogger...life is too busy!

Sorry about the troubles JayTee (and others). I've suffered with the dreaded GERD as well, starting I believe about 1 year out. Was on Nexium then way too tight and when I then got the reflux at night I knew it was a big problem so a big unfill, and the GERD went away instantly. Lost both/only Docs in the practice and gained 15 back while waiting months (think it was 6 or so) for a new Doc (reminded me how much I need my Band and that I can't do this alone...funny how I was beginning to think I could LOL). Got the new Doc and a fill, but only back to 5.6 and I was as high as 5.9 before the unfill. I get touched of burning ever now and again, but nothing some Tums can't handle and haven't had to start the Nexium again.

For me, what I've learned is that heartburn/GERD is a big side effect of the Band and one I've learned to live with and control. The tighter I get, the worse it gets. I've learned that you have to stay ahead of it or it can spiral out of control quickly...any reflux during the night is a huge red flag it's gone too far. I drink plenty of Water during the day, and have something on my stomach if there's a flare. I don't eat anything late and even when I drink water late I wait for it to go through before laying down (and I now like sleeping on two pillows anyway). If I have to, I'll start the Nexium again...at the first sign of a problem...I won't let it get to the point again that I need an unfill without doing everything I can to nip it in the bud first.

As I've gotten thinner, I've had to eat less and less food and now it's hard just to get all the solid Protein in...and I have to eat slowly as the 'stuck' doesn't show up right away for me. For the first time I've had PB's with eating one bite too much and that never happened before, so I have to be really cautious...PB's are also a big trigger for GERD getting worse (and I've learned to go to mushies/liquids after or I'm asking for GERD to flare). I also think many of us go through a period where we are just tired of it all and get lazy about the rules...I certainly have.

Life is good here...145lbs. today (and no, I still haven't accepted my new self), kids are great, and DH and I just started planning our 30th anniversary trip for Spring. I'm meeting a large group of about 50 LB Bloggers in Chicago next month for a weekend. Hope everyone is great and I hope this awful GERD doesn't get the better of any of us! Fight the good fight friends...you're worth it! Love to all! -BG

WOW, you are doing great, down a 100 pounds!!!

I have been having problems myself and on Tuesday went to doc and did the barium swollow and was definitely too tight. They took out 2 cc's and I have to go back in three weeks and have it rechecked. I had gotten where I was only have soft foods and liquids, and it was easier to snack on things I shouldn't.

I had lost 68 pounds and over the past year put back on 9 pounds. Hoping this bit of unfill helps me greatly, and I can get back on track of healthy eating.

Jaytee, how are you this week?

Tammy

Glad to see everyone is still around. Sorry to hear that some of you are having problems. Hope they all get worked out!

I have been struggling, but will not give up! So question for you guys... what are you favorite Protein sources out there? shakes? Bars? Etc.? With school starting back up I need some easy Snacks. TIA!

Hey girl! Nuts are my 'go to' Protein snack, but I had to watch the portion size or prepackage them when I was hungrier or it was easy to overdo (I also learned not to buy cashews except in the mixed nut packs or I'd eat them all LOL). I also keep some roasted edamame to mix them with (not my fav, but doable with some nuts). I don't do the shakes (except after a fill) or bars, so I'm no help there.

Here are some Protein dense items that can be carried on the go

• hard boiled eggs
  • lentils in a small container
  • nitrate free deli meat (sparingly because of the sodium content)
  • Water packed tuna (any water packed seafood works well)
  • beef or turkey jerky
  • greek yogurt (if you partially freeze it the night before, it'll thaw out over the course of the next day and keep it fresh
  • single serving cottage cheese

I don't eat Protein Bars or shakes either....I prefer real food for making me feel satisfied

Got the results from my upper GI and my band has slipped. I have to see the surgeon on 9/13 for a consultation guess I'll have to have surgery to fix the issue. Still not sure if insurance will pay for it or not I'm a bit scared to contact the insurance company or my HR don't want to raise a red flag but I guess I should check next week. Still going on the cruise I can eat and drink I just feel restricted even though I have very little Fluid in my band.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. If you are having trouble and not getting it checked do so before you get to the point I was to make sure there isn't a bigger issue then just GERD.

I was sick and tired of the GERD and vomiting. The band tore a hole in my esophegus. Had that repaired and the band moved. More reflux and vomiting. Had fill removed. More reflux and vomiting. Had all fill removed. More reflux and vomiting. Tired of not being able to eat, especially healthy fresh fruits and vegetables. Not getting enough Protein, Calcium or nutrients. My bones and muscles hurt all the time from mal-nutrition. I don't want to take mega doses of suppliments anymore. I can't even drink Water without reflux.

Had my band removed the first week of June. Contracted MRSA during the surgery in the port removal area. Nearly died from the MRSA. Spent several days in the hospital on mega doses of antibiotics fighting the MRSA. A week after release from the hospital, I had to have the portal area reopened to clean and drain. Spent several weeks with an open incision and inhome nursing care. Using wet bandage packing 2X daily. That's how I spent the first 4 weeks of my summer.

I've gained back 7 lbs of my 87 lb loss, but I am so happy to not be miserable 24/7, and to be able to eat fresh fruits and salad.

No regrets about removal!!!

Got the results from my upper GI and my band has slipped. I have to see the surgeon on 9/13 for a consultation guess I'll have to have surgery to fix the issue. Still not sure if insurance will pay for it or not I'm a bit scared to contact the insurance company or my HR don't want to raise a red flag but I guess I should check next week. Still going on the cruise I can eat and drink I just feel restricted even though I have very little Fluid in my band.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. If you are having trouble and not getting it checked do so before you get to the point I was to make sure there isn't a bigger issue then just GERD.

Hi JayTee, wondering how you are since your cruise?????