Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bunny Bandsters - April '09, MASTER THREAD #1

hello all...

it's been two weeks since i posted. i had my second fill today. it's funny. there is more imaginary pain than actual pain, i'm noticing. the only part that hurts is when the surgeon has to find the port by poking around, and the slight sting of the numbing needle, but once that's done, i feel nothing but still cringe the whole time. hahah.

i was super shocked to find out when i weighed in today that i'd lost nine pounds in the two weeks since my last weigh-in. i have NOT been following any type of diet plan at all lately. i have been eating a lot of bad foods, and i was in vegas all last week partying w/my family... i haven't been to the gym in weeks...my trainer is PISSED at me.

i'm super excited because to me, this means that if i actually buckle down on the diet and hit the gym regularly i will (hopefully) see more drastic results. :smile:)

OK, so here goes. I went for my appointment yesterday and I got on the scale and I had lost 5 pounds in the last 4 weeks. I met with the nutritionist and we went over what and how much I had been eating so she can see if I am able to eat more than I should and if I needed a fill. Well she thinks I am able to eat more than I should and that I needed a fill. So my Doc asked me if I wanted an adjustment, and of course I said yes. So we go into the "surgery" type room and I have to lay on the table and then they put a pillow under my back. Then he starts pushing on my stomach to find the port and I have to say that it kinda hurt, I guess I am still pretty tender. Now I had told both him and the nurse about my needle phobia and how I am a big baby when it come to needles( and I work in healthcare...go figure). So he says well we will use the smallest needle...HA HA I said there is nothing small about a Huber needle and he just laughed. So then he proceeds to go digging in my belly to get into this port and I almost came up off the table. I grabbed the nurses arm and almost grabbed his but the nurse stopped me in time and said no take hers instead. So he said I had nothing in my band and he put 2cc in. Then they had me sit up on the table and I was pretty woozy ( I have a history of fainting when having my blood drawn and i had this same doc cut 2 boils out of my arm 2 weeks ago and when i pulled the packing out the next day i passed out at home) so the nurse stayed with me and held on to me for a while until I "got my color back". Then I had to drink my Water but I did not feel anything different or what may have felt like restriction. So as of right now I have an appt in 6 weeks for another fill, but if I dont lose 2 pounds per week then I can change it to 4 weeks. But I told him that I hope I never need another one because I dont like that needle...LOL :smile:

I had my 1st fill on Monday and they gave me 4 cc. Next appt in 9 Jun. Hope to get some more weigh gone soon.

Wow- congrats on that weight loss!!

I am so jealous -- good work!!

My first fill story: I waited an hour for my surgeon. He had agreed to see me at noon after his morning surgery, because I'm in this travelling job, and its difficult for me to get off. Very nice of him. Anyway his partner showed up to fill a couple of his patients, and he contacted my surgeon, who was tied up in surgery. He said I could wait for my surgeon or he could do my fill. I jumped on that. He gave me 4ccs and had me swallow the Water, then the "stuff," we looked at the fluoroscopy screen and I saw the stuff passing through the band (so cool!) and he said I could take another cc. I said "Do it!" So now I have 5 ccs. I was a bit nervous, something that wasn't helped by the hour and fifteen minute wait, and I have to say feeling that needle go in is quite disconcerting, but not painful (they numbed the area first.). He had very sure hands, and really instilled confidence. (My own surgeon might, too, I was knocked out when he "handled" me :).)

I can tell I have some restriction, but guess I have to wait a day or two to find out how much. I'm so glad my more conservative surgeon was unavailable. I hope this will jump start my weight loss, which has all but stopped. And, I'm looking forward to some relief from the unending hunger!

Everyone enjoy their weekend, and keep up the good work.

So now I have 5 ccs.

OK, I'm long beyond jealous now. Is there ANYONE out there who got banded 4/22/09 or before that has 0 fill and no restriction or am I alone again? I'm only hoping for half as much fill next week. 5 cc's is a HUGE first fill! Good for you!

Frustration city here.... I weighed in today- Didnt lose any weight in 3 weeks but didnt gain any either which is great-

I was supposed to hve my 2nd fill of 1cc but the office scheduled me wrong and the radiologist was not there...:) Now I have to wait till monday- I feel NO restriction, can basically eat whatever I want- If I could get away with eating 2 big meals a day I would be fine but I know that is not healthy... I am hungry in between my 4-5 small meals I am doing now and am VERY frustrated.... Granted I am only 1 almost 2 months out and ahve lost 32 lbs but overall I thought it would come off easier especially since i am not eating any where near I was before- BTW I started curves this week and LOVE it ; maybe after a while it will come off quicker....

Thanks for letting me rant....

Rant away LM, Bandster Hell sucks! Hang in there, Monday is just around the corner for you! 32# in 2 months is amazing...4# a week? I'd be SO happy!!!

Me, me!! 47 days since surgery and NO fill yet. My main incision got infected, that cleared but then it split open so I have had to hold off on a fill till it's healed. Tomorrow is my appt - so wish me luck!

After the month mark from surgery - I definetly felt my appetite came back. I now snack, I keep it healthy like watermelon but I know I definetly have eaten more at meals. So my weight loss definetly sloooowed down. I'm hoping I have still been able to lose. We will see tomorrow though. :party:

I CALLED MY SURGEON'S OFFICE AND ASKED WHY THE scales WERE NOT MOVING. tHEY TOLD ME MY BODY IS IN STARVATION MODE AND IS EATING ITSELF. i HAVE LOST 10.5 INCHES. tHEY SAID I AM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT. THE WT WILL COME OFF IF I HOLD ON. SO MY QUESTION TO ALL OTHER BUNNIES THAT HAVE NOT SEEN THE scale MOVE, ARE YOU SEEING THE INCHES COME OFF? mY FIRST FILL IS NOT UNTIL 6/22, SO I AM HOLDING ON. tHIS PAST WEEK I WENT DOWN TO 1 INSULIN SHOT A DAY.PTL FOR THAT.

BLESSING TO ALL, MI MI

Band Groupie, I was filled 4/9/09 and have had 2 fills both 3cc, 2 weeks apart, May 8 then May 22 respectfully. That said, if your doctor used the same analogy in his practice, you would receive 1st fill 5/22...

In all actuality the second 3cc fill. for me, was too tight. I stuck it out and lost weight which is my goal.

I am experiencing the air trapped in the left side of my shoulder and neck, on the bright side only 3 pbs...

If I were you I would call the doctor and request an earlier appointment.

Keep us posted, Band.

Murphy :=)

I CALLED MY SURGEON'S OFFICE AND ASKED WHY THE scales WERE NOT MOVING. tHEY TOLD ME MY BODY IS IN STARVATION MODE AND IS EATING ITSELF. i HAVE LOST 10.5 INCHES. tHEY SAID I AM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT. THE WT WILL COME OFF IF I HOLD ON. SO MY QUESTION TO ALL OTHER BUNNIES THAT HAVE NOT SEEN THE scale MOVE, ARE YOU SEEING THE INCHES COME OFF? mY FIRST FILL IS NOT UNTIL 6/22, SO I AM HOLDING ON. tHIS PAST WEEK I WENT DOWN TO 1 INSULIN SHOT A DAY.PTL FOR THAT.

BLESSING TO ALL, MI MI

Mimi- How many calories are you getting in per day? I heard you have to be around 800 or at least less than 1000 cals. for starvation mode (and it will stall your weight loss as your body metabolism slows way down). I don't think you want to be in S. M. once you're back on solids, so I'm wondering what the office said about that? Just curious.

Band Groupie, I was filled 4/9/09 and have had 2 fills both 3cc, 2 weeks apart, May 8 then May 22 respectfully. That said, if your doctor used the same analogy in his practice, you would receive 1st fill 5/22...

In all actuality the second 3cc fill. for me, was too tight. I stuck it out and lost weight which is my goal.

I am experiencing the air trapped in the left side of my shoulder and neck, on the bright side only 3 pbs...

If I were you I would call the doctor and request an earlier appointment.

Keep us posted, Band.

Murphy :=)

Wow, I wish I would have had a fill by 5/22! My first fill is tomorrow and I'm sure it will be way longer than 2 weeks before I get the second one (my doc is very conservative). But I will go in begging for as much as I can and will schedule the next one as closely as they'll let me.

Me, me!! 47 days since surgery and NO fill yet. My main incision got infected, that cleared but then it split open so I have had to hold off on a fill till it's healed. Tomorrow is my appt - so wish me luck!

I'm glad I'm not the only one paxie! Good luck today and let us know how it goes...I'll be following you in tomorrow (42 days post-op...you win LOL).

Good luck bandgroupie!

Yay!! I finally got my first fill!! LOL I don't remember if she said 2cc or 3 though. lmao...oh well, at least I have a fill now. And it was soooo easy too!!! We were chatting away when I realized she was done and had to ask, "that's it?" Yup, that easy.

I wonder though...how do they know they did get it in and not just squirt it into our bodies?!

I got it done this morning - had a liquid lunch and then was able to eat chicken for dinner tonight without any problems. WHEW!

Edited by paxie

Hey Guysss im backkk over the whole depression thing i think it was the MEDS anywho i go for my 1st fill 2morrow happy about that and i lovvveee june cause my birthday is coming up JUNE 17TH YAY

My first fill was 1 1/2 cc... no restriction yet. 2 more week til my next fill... I"m really really hoping he gives me at least 2cc. I'm so impatient!