Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bunny Bandsters - April '09, MASTER THREAD #1

Well it is 4 days post op and I am feeling much better. The surgeon had to get through old gallbladder scarring, but band in good placement. Lots of back pain and nausea after surgery, but medication helped.Was in hospital 23 hr, discharged Sat 12n. Clear Liquids 1 day, now doing full liquids 2 wks. Down 5 lbs since surgery. Trying to get 60g of Protein in every day, plus drinking extra. Took off clear dressings yesterday, incisions look good, starting to itch a bit. No hunger at all:). Trying to walk abit every day. No gas pains, but was constipated, took Colace, now better. How are all the other April 24th banders doing? MiMi Teapot

About the burps, I have a friend whos had his band over 3 years now. He told me after you get banded, you don't burp no more. The reason is, that burps come from the bottom of your stomach. The bottom of our stomaches is now banded off. The result is from now on you only fart. That is the reason that you can't drink carbonated beverages, because it causes so much gas that it is unbearable, (pain-wise and socially).

Hi everyone! I had my surgery on 4/13! Everything is going great so far. I remember from the time I went into the operating room..until I woke it it was around an hour and 15 minutes later..I remember the first thing I did upon waking up was checking the time to make sure I wasn't sleep like 6 years or something lol. I had some serious gas pains from the Monday the 13th until around the following Sunday..I was burping quite a bit..and it was uncomfortable as I felt it come up..that lasted until maybe last Friday. I did a lot of walking starting the 15th..my mom is an RN and dad is a retired Marine..so between the 2 of them..I was working out hardcore! As of today..the scars are healing..i have no discomfort..I'm officially allowed to eat anything I want..considering it's less than 30 grams of carbs. My first fill is 5/22! I'm definitely hungry nowadays but I eat much much less. Good luck to everyone!!

Hi there. I was also banded on April 16th. Doing quite well on the shakes, Jello and pudding, ready to go to some mushies!! I think I can on Friday the 1st. I finally do not have any more gas pains in shoulders or back, thank goodness, and I am able to comfortably sleep in bed, flat on my back, I did have to have bunches of pillows to prop me up. 7 days after surgery I had lost 5 pounds. I haven't weighed since then, going to this Thursday. I can feel the difference in my clothing and thought I would pay more attention to that than weighing!!

Banded on 4-16. Feeling good. sleeping really good, I can sleep on my left side, right side or on my stomach (which is my favorite) and I pain while sleeping at all.

My problem is I'm starting to get hungry. The thought of the protien shakes make me nasuea uuuggh. I've been trying to do the Isopure and the Protein shots but those are hard also. I can't wait until mushies. But my doctor says liquids for 3 weeks. Not sure I'm gonna be able to make it 3 weeks unless I can force myself to drink the shakes.< /p>

I was banded on 4/15. All is going well. I am so greatful for this site, as it's been such a great guide...I feel like the things I have been through (port site pain, gas, insurance issues etc...) are all textbook!!

I am seeing my surgeon on thursday. Will start blenderized foods at that time. I'm confident that the swelling in my stomach has gone down because I'm feeling the hunger come back. Won't have my fill for at least another month.

I have lost 8 pounds post op. I'm thinking that I need to go back to 'pre op' plan of the diet and exercise, until I have the band restriction...OR, I will start gaining weight.

I love that my pants are getting too big. My pre op pants...I tried to pull them off (buttoned and zipped) and it worked!! Only problem is...I can't afford to get new clothes every week!!! LOL

The thought of the protien shakes make me nasuea uuuggh. I've been trying to do the Isopure and the Protein shots but those are hard also. I can't wait until mushies. But my doctor says liquids for 3 weeks. Not sure I'm gonna be able to make it 3 weeks unless I can force myself to drink the shakes.< /div>

I've got a 3 week liquid diet also, but more restrictive than yours. The thought of a chocolate EAS Protein Shake is starting to sound WONDERFUL to me. I'm only allowed Clear Liquids and skim milk. I'll probably be breaking the rules and drinking some of those shakes before my 3 weeks is up...I'm not getting enough Protein to keep the hunger monster at bay.

Ok guys , this morning I was thinking about my grandson who I have custody of and I remembered the conversation we had when he first saw me after I got home from the hospital. (If you are less than one week post-op I suggest you hold a pillow to your stomache so you don't bust your stitches out).

He sai, "Let me see, Mom-mom." So I sat up and showed him the incisions, he proceeded to say "Oh, No, Mom-mom, it didn't work, you are still fat."

Apparantly he thought I would come home skinny. I love him to death anyway.

I thought you all might get a kick out of my story.

LOL...little kids say the funniest things!

I just got to take my bandages off today and showed DS1 (he's 18)...his eyes about bugged out...he started counting the incisions and said 'Those are Disgusting...what did they do, carve you up?!' I think he thought it would be one tiny incision when I said laparoscopic...guess I didn't prepare him too well.

1 week anniversary today! Seems longer though. Down 13 lbs from two weeks ago.

I feel very good. Port site tender but thats to be expected.

Does anyone have the problem of not being able to wear their jeans due to the port site. I am very short wasted and cannot wear any of my jeans. Even the larger sized ones. Guess I'm going to have to try low waist jeans but with my bootie I haven't been able to wear them before. A little frightened about that because it all I ever wear!

Also I still cant eat much. I'm doing mushies but get full very quickly. I am getting hungry though. Its really hard to stop at full feeling. Hard to break the eat a lot habit. I'm so afraid of the regurgitation that I won't go past full feeling. My daughter had Band surgery July of 2008. She has lost 80 lbs and is 10 away from goal but she does have food backup quite a bit and I'm really grossed out about doing it myself.

I'm freaked out about over eating, having food get stuck, sliming, etc. I know it happens to many. I wonder if there is anyone who avoided it always. If so I want to be part of that team :biggrin:

2Legit2Quit - thank your Dad for me for his service to our country

BeeffromCali - can you do Soups? I can no longer do Protein Shakes so I didnt get a chance to get sick of it but I am starting to get sick of Soups now. There are so many out there - the nutritionist and doc said to blend them first though.

KEL - try a good resale shop for some clothes or see if any of your friends want to do a swap

LMAO - VCatalina!! Bless his honest heart! My daughter told me she doesnt like my doctor because she gave me ouwies!

Ban Groupie - I was like your son and wondered why I had a two inch insicion. The doctor later showed me why. lol!!

WoobeeMom - I avoided jeans and anything like it for 2 weeks - only my yoga pants or really soft shorts for me!!

Doing well so far - my husband is away for the week so for the first time I've had to cook for the kids since the surgery and I'm doing pretty good. My insicion was infected so 3 weeks of antibotics for me! BLECK!!! I am ready to move on from soups - but a few days ago I tried mashed up peas and I woke up nausead later that night so I went back to just yogurt, Soup, apple sause and mash potatoes.

mash potatoes take so much longer to digest. I did tell the doc I am eating more but she said at this stage for me it's ok because of the type of food I can just have (liquid mush I guess).

Edited by paxie

The July 4th challenge for the bunny bandsters starts tomorrow!! Don't forget to weigh yourself tomorrow so you have a starting weight and a target weight. If you haven't yet signed up but would like to participate, please go HERE.

Hello Everyone!

I am 3 days post op today I finally felt like reading and catching up on the site. It is very helpful to read about everyone's process. It gives me an idea of how long this belchy, gassey feelings are going to go on. Each day is better. I had my gallbladder out a couple of years ago and I kinda thought the surgery would be about the same, but this has been harder. I am on liquids for 2 weeks and working on getting my Protein in. I actually gained 5 pounds the day after surgery - they did give me lots of IV fluids. I lost that the first day and am down 2 more today. I say someone posted that they really over did it prior to surgery. I did to. I had lost 20 pounds since the first of the year but then put on 6 with all my 'last' meals. I siwtched myslef to liquid tylenol from the lortab becasue i figured the narcotic was increaseing the gas pains. I have tried gas x, but probably not enough. I think I will increase that too.

I really appreciate you all sharing because it has made it easier on me - knowing that my post op course is about average.

I am totally impressed by you guys that are already back to work. I have the luxuary of taking off 2 weeks. I could not stand the thought that I would have to go back to work tomorrow.

well, I am off to see if I can figure out how to add a ticker to my sig file!