Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bunny Bandsters - April '09, MASTER THREAD #1

Hello Everyone! I just found the thread, I don't get to the site nearly as often as I would like. My surgery is the 30th of this month so I am just going to make it into the Bunnies. I have enjoyed reading everyones surgery stories and honestly it helps with the 'scareds'

I travel for work a lot and will be on the road all this week- I do not have to do the pre surgery liquid diet since I lost 20 lbs but I have stocked up on Protein Powder for post op. I'll be home from this trip on Thursday - a week preop. The doc wants me to wash my abdomen with hibeclens twice a day for 7 days so I'll be working on that!

I can't wait!

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the Bunnies! This is a great group. I had my surgery on the 16th and am feeling pretty good now...just trying to get all the liquids in. You will find a lot of support here. :blink:

I had my surgery on 4/15. Everything is going good. I am still sore around big incision. I stopped taking the Vicoden, makes me too stupid and sleepy. I have been walking every day much to the chagrin of my neighbors, they think I should stay in bed for a few weeks. The weather is cooler today which makes my motorcycle look less attractive (I am dying to go for a ride)

I have been losing 2 to 3 pounds a day, is that ok?

Hi all!!!

Was banded on 04/15 sorry for the delay in getting you all an update on how things went. I am back to work this morning and am trying to get back in the groove of things. Five days and now work....shewww I didn't know what to do! But, surgery went well...and the doc put in a standard band!!!! He said he could tell I did really well on the pre-op diet, my liver was small and very little fat around it! So those of you not yet to surgery...make sure you stick to that diet!! It will be the best for you in the end. Surgery day was fine...the anesthesia really kicked my butt...couldn't wake up for nothing...but the actual surgery lasted 30 mins...was in recovery for about another 30 and was on my way home. Got home took my meds as instructed and crashed on the recliner pain wasn't too bad that day...was still really out of it. The next day was very uncomfortable...walked around as much as possible but don't feel I walked around enough. The gas was horrible. Friday was better... Saturday I went out and about with family in town...Sunday helped around the house and today I'm back to work! The only things I will say is a little "different" feeling is the hunger feeling...I kinda feel hungery but not really...sounds wierd I know..don't know how to explain....not sore at all....I know alot of people complain about their port hurting...my port is located on my chest...and have to say it doesn't hurt really at all...kinda feels like bruse mostly. Other than that...all is good..still feel a little week...but I'm sure that will pass.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

I know exactly what you mean about being hungry but not really. It's exactly how I feel. The funny thing is, when I am full I can feel mu little pouch, it feels like a little golf ball in there. I also get these tiny little hiccups that hurt like the dickens when my pouch is full, I cut back the amt of food from 4 to 3 oz and don't get that feeling(phwew). It's kinda cold out right now, I will wait until later to take my walk. I think I will lay down for awhile.

One week ago today!

An observation -

My stitches are itchy - but not as annoying as a pesky insect bite (or MANY bites)

The bruising is turning from red/purple to green and yellow

Normal and good to see because there is a LOT of bruising! :rolleyes:

A complaint -

My weight hasn't budged since several days after surgery!

I'm eating Protein Drinks, my homemade applesauce (JUST apples) and the dreaded SF Jello (I NEVER liked jello but it gives my mouth something familiar to do) :sad:

A happy bragging bit -

My XL t-shirts are too big, I'm down to an L

Pants are baggy in the butt - now lets see some tummy action here. :wink2:

Glad to be onboard! Surgery day is this Wed. This has all happened so fast for me. Doing self pay so I know that sped it up alot.

Had consultation last Thurs. Saw psychologist, met with nutritionist and surgery date set for this Wed.. I'm also only having to drink the Protein Shakes two days. They aren't too bad as long as I Water them down. They are way too thick!

Good luck to all and I'm really glad to have someone to go through this with.:rolleyes:

I think I am one of the slow losers. I went for my first post-op exam and I have lost 2kg. Okay, that is almost 4-1/2 lbs in two weeks, I shouldn't complain. I do feel like I have lost inches and my clothes are a little looser on me.

I had dissolving stitches and the incisions are almost non-existent. I am very happy about that. They told me I could start walking around my village, but I shouldn't start going to the gym for another two to three weeks.

I found out I have 13cc band and the doctor will decide next month if I need a fill yet. So far, I do not feel hungry.

Welcome all new bunnies!! I am so glad you guys are here and we are all in this together!!

I haven't weighted myself, I don't have a scale - I think I would be way too focused on that if I did. But our bodies are all different and react differently to things. To my understanding - from surgery to first fill is just a time for recovery, and that should be our primary focus (along with following our prescribed diets for that time period). So I wouldn't beat yourself up for not losing as much as the next guy. It will come in time.

again..this is probably easier for me to say as I don't have a scale.. eeks. but i still want to be supportive!

WAHOOO, I had a Mushie Monday and was it ever goood!! I have had my fill of shakes and s/f Jello and yogurt!! I was sitting up last night about 8:oo and got to thinking about Monday morning and what I was going to eat for Breakfast and I thought it's only 4 more hrs. till Monday so I thought why not get an early start so I had 1/2 c. of mashed potatoes. OH MY GOD!!! It was so good!! Today I had eggs for breakfast and pureed ck. for supper, so far no problems. I made sure I chewed alot! I'm on mushies for a wk. then regular food! There is hardly no pain now at the port site and I have a lot if energy now! Trust me, guys, this is SO worth the pain you are going thru now. Hang in there, it will definitely get better!!

WAHOOO, I had a Mushie Monday and was it ever goood!! I have had my fill of shakes and s/f Jello and yogurt!! I was sitting up last night about 8:oo and got to thinking about Monday morning and what I was going to eat for breakfast and I thought it's only 4 more hrs. till Monday so I thought why not get an early start so I had 1/2 c. of mashed potatoes. OH MY GOD!!! It was so good!! Today I had eggs for breakfast and pureed ck. for supper, so far no problems. I made sure I chewed alot! I'm on mushies for a wk. then regular food! There is hardly no pain now at the port site and I have a lot if energy now! Trust me, guys, this is SO worth the pain you are going thru now. Hang in there, it will definitely get better!!

Doodlebug...thanks so much for the very last sentence in your last post! I am 6 days post op and it's hard to believe that at some point this pain and discomfort will subside and will be on the way to good health, which was the ultimate goal. I find myself saying..."I signed up for this?" It's good to know that there is hope!

I do notice daily improvements. I've been battling with gas pretty bad. I'm trying to follow the guidelines given to me by the dietician, but sometimes things just aren't sitting right. I'm now doing full liquids, which is a relief from the 4 days of clear liquids! I have lost about 7 pounds this week! WHOOWHOO!

I'm so glad that I checked in tonight! I have been taking my pain meds only at bed time to help me sleep, but they seem to be having the reverse affect. I sleep good for about 2 hours...then I'm wide awake.

I hope that everyone else is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. So far, despite the ups and downs, I am greatful that I was able to have this experience to help me, my life, and my family.

Thanks for posting that Doodlebug!! That is totally encouraging. Did you feel hungry with the smaller amounts? I am trying not to psyc myself out of week 2. :crying: I did good week one but thinking of just having three tiny meals now makes me nervous. I'm going to be positive about it. I havent been hungry yet but I figure it's due to swelling. Keeping postive. But YAY for you!!!! I'm happy for you!

WTG Kel on the weight lost so far and keeping up with your nutrisitionist's program guidelines.

Doodlebug...thanks so much for the very last sentence in your last post! I am 6 days post op and it's hard to believe that at some point this pain and discomfort will subside and will be on the way to good health, which was the ultimate goal. I find myself saying..."I signed up for this?" It's good to know that there is hope!

I hope that everyone else is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. So far, despite the ups and downs, I am greatful that I was able to have this experience to help me, my life, and my family.

Oh Sandyswhisper - hang in there!! I am nearly 3 weeks post op and feel better than I have in years, no pain, and am eating mushies now - had lasagne for dinner - so good! I am starting to get a little hungry today which would be the first time since being banded, but it easily goes away with a small meal. You will get to this point but hang in there, its the road to FREEDOMMMMM!!!!!