Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fairwell Tour of Bad Foods?

Okay I have my band date and it's 3 months away...in the meantime I am in a frenzy attempting to eat everything that I won't be able to eat once I have been banded. I feel like a dying woman...last chance for souffle! It's rediculous! I want this and I know I need this especially for my health and well being. Has anyone gone through this? :)

I am no expert and I really can't speak for everyone, but I would suspect that yes most everyone goes through the last meal thing. I did. Honestly, I've not found many things I can't eat since being banded. A few tricks have been substituting healthy stuff for the bad things.

If you follow the band guidelines and rules you should be ok. That doesn't mean you will never have a taste of the "bad for you" things. Don't go off the deep end eating now before getting banded. Put your time and energy into researching what you need to do and I found gathering band friendly receipes was very helpful.

Good luck and 3 months isn't far to go.

I THINK EVERYBODY WANTED TO!! I didn't get my date that far out, but choose to make adjustments to eating style back in Nov. I first cut out the really, really, really Sweet Tea that I drank almost a gallon of daily. Tried out the store brands of Crystal Lite drinks. Worked on smaller portions and then moved into some Meal Replacements. I lost about 15 lbs. from middle of Nov. middle of Feb. I think these changes made the pre-op easier to take, and I am on day 6 of band and haven't been hungry. I gave deep thought to what I really love the most and had a nice Prime Rib dinner :) (in the middle of pre-op). I have been told we will be able to eat many of the foods we always have, just smaller portions.

GOOD LUCK!

Niterun

I deff. went through that phase just last month. I am being banded in a week and a half and am in the pre-op diet stage. Right now I crave everything, but I am able to over come it by just putting mind over mater. However, before I was on the pre-op diet, I would eat my favorite foods (Zaxby's, Mexican, and Mac-n-Cheese) and think "Ahhh, is this the last time I am going to be able to enjoy this". Honestly, you will get over it and probably wake up one morning and say "ya know what, I'm over it"! Thats what happened to me and I actually started my pre-op diet a whole week early! I am on day 10 and am down 9LBS. You can do it, just don't over endulge now, or you will pay for it when it comes to talking it back off.

Thanks for that! I'm working on my Masters in History and I thought I would take the summer off to have this done...then my surgeon was going on summer vacation at the beginning of June and that pushes me out to June 30th...trust me I would rather do this sooner than later...I'm ready to get on with the rest of my life! :)

You're thinking with "diet" mentality and IMHO you need to get past that. The band provides Portion Control, it's not the food police. Most likely you will be able to eat anything, just in smaller quantities. I had roast last night...I've had pizza, I've even had part of a patty melt. (Not all in one day, or one week, but I've eaten them) Your "relationship" with food will change....you won't scarf down 1/2 of a large pizza, say (or whatever) but you can have pizza. I've even had a white bread sandwich and lived to tell the tale.

I think it's better to just remain calm about it...but we're all different! The more I start to count, and fret, and think "food police" in my head, the more obsessed I get. There's a reason diets fail, you know!

Just relax. You'll be making "good choices" (99% of the time!) but can still have your wild "bad choice" fling occasionally! :) life goes on!

My favorite bad foods were

2 sloppy joe sandwiches with fries

Wendys bacon cheeseburger with fries

IHOP Crepes with strawberry sauce

McDonalds apple pies and big mac

burger king double stacker sandwich

jamaician meat patty with sweet potato fries

and lastly golden oreos with nestle vanilla milk....

~~~~And for what I eat now~~~~

Weight watchers yogurt with 2 tablespoons of granola

grapefruit and apples

special K with soy milk

Protein shake with 1/4 frozen fruit

sugarfree Jello vanilla and chocolate

crystal light drinks

cottage cheese (breakstones)

I'm trying not to go nuts, but I let myself have Saturday or Sunday as a "free" day. If I want pide or chicken doner, I have it. I just try not to eat too much crap the rest of the week. Except I did have some regular Coke and a pudding cup tonight, but that's all right :)

I too had "last supper" filled with all of the goodies that I shouldn't eat after the band. I still eat just about anything I want (in smaller portions) except soda and bread. You will find that it's not as hard as you think. I ate some sort of sandwhich with soda EVERYday. I'm still amazed I don't miss it.

I'm with Restless Monkey 100% on this.

I haven't ever thought of my band as another 'diet' for me. And so far it's worked awesome! I'm down 25lbs in 2 months.

I eat the 'right' and 'healthy' foods 99 percent of the time, and once in awhile I let myself indulge. BUT my indulgences are FAR less than they used to be.

For example, instead of an entire regular size Snickers bar, I have two mini ones instead. It's the same thing just smaller portion :)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fabulously!

hi baylor,

i agree with the people that dont look at this as a diet. in fact i took the advice of people that said forget low fat, forget low sugar. just eat less. i felt more satisfied.

having said that...while losing weight i did journal my food and keep track of calories. but now that i'm maintaining i can eat anything i want.

i dont crave like i did before because i dont have "off limit foods". (except during lent i am off "blue bell ice cream" and now am dying for it ....:) LOL)

i only had 1 day between my doctor's seminar and my surgery. i went around Target saying goodbye to my friends (peeps, twizzlers, etc) i thought i would never have them again. but i can have them. and for the most part i dont even want them anymore.

so my advice is not to go crazy because you can eat anything in moderation. the difference is with the band you get full faster.

good luck....

I did it. I called it "Last Supper Mentality" lol. I got my date in September for January surgery (had to save more $$ than I expected so I needed to have my surgery scheduled for a few months away). In those 3-4 months I pigged out and ate everything. I gained 4lbs!! I've seen a lot of people do things like that.