Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why the differences in the PRE Op diets?

I was reading where many had to almost starve themselves it seems with the pre-op diets...many just liquid protien shakes.... I thought for sure that would be the same that the hospital we're going to would give but... the one told by our hospital was basically eat only Protein. So patcients here can have meats, eggs, etc.... of course they want us to cut out sugar and starches like bread.

why the difference? will it still work?

My diet for 3 weeks before the surgery (pre-op) was given to me by my surgeon, not the hospital. It was one HE felt would be most likely to shrink my liver. Not all need one that austere or long term. I can't speak for other surgeons. And the one immediately "Pre op" (as in the day and night before) WAS given to me by the hospital and involved only liquids after noon on the day before, mag citrate as a bowel prep, and nothing by mouth after midnight. Each surgeon has a diet that he/she thinks works best for his patient base, and tailored, to an extent, for each patient.

Thank you for the response! I forgot that the day before is liquids.

tri-care? military here too. :)

Good luck! Hope you love your band; I love mine!

I 'think' it is somewhat the doctor's preference, but I think that mine is more restricted because I have a BMI over 40 and am over 250 pounds. Also I didn't make a final decision until last week and my surgery in on 3/30. k

Paxie

We will keep our fingers crossed for you and also in our prayers.

I am self-pay, my insurance had a $2000 deductable and then will pay only 50%, I decided to take out a loan and go to Mexico. If I went the insurance route, I would have to jump through all the hoops which would take about a year, and my out of pocket cost would still be over the cost in Mexico. I know I am taking a risk, but I guess I am desperate.

Good luck, let us know when you find out about approval.

k

Check out a thread i started saturday i listed some of my foods on there...i am set to be banded on march 23, the diet i am on i can have unlimited veggies....i feel like my ears are getting bigger and my teether buckier!!!!

Good luck!!!

Be careful in Mexico you get what you pay for I have heard some very scary stories

My Surgery is Friday March 20, 2009. I am on the pre-op diet for my second week now. They have me on Meal Replacement drinks for Breakfast and lunch then a small high Protein, veg. dinner. I have tried my best to stay on track but have broken the rules some. I had some peanuts as Snacks on few days and 1 scrambled egg with little cheese one morning. Three of the days I had a small lunch instead of my normal slim fast bar. I find myself worried about swaying from the diet. I am hoping others also have done that. Any input would help.

My Surgery is Friday March 20, 2009. I am on the pre-op diet for my second week now. They have me on meal replacement drinks for breakfast and lunch then a small high Protein, veg. dinner. I have tried my best to stay on track but have broken the rules some. I had some peanuts as Snacks on few days and 1 scrambled egg with little cheese one morning. Three of the days I had a small lunch instead of my normal slim fast bar. I find myself worried about swaying from the diet. I am hoping others also have done that. Any input would help.

Sure. I "swayed" from mhy 3 week preop diet, lost 15 pounds and didn't get the band the first time because my liver didn't shrink enough....because I didn't do what my doctor told me to do. So don't cheat. It isn't worth it. You must stick scrupulously to the post op diet, too...and it's often all liquids for a few weeks. (I read about people who cheated and had no problems so I figured I could too. WRONG!)

The only thing my surgeon told me is I have to be on liquids only for two days before surgery, but I feel that I should start some kind of plan on my own, and soon! I'm worried that my liver will be too big.

The only thing my surgeon told me is I have to be on liquids only for two days before surgery, but I feel that I should start some kind of plan on my own, and soon! I'm worried that my liver will be too big.

I only have to do Clear Liquids the day before surgery, which is set for April, 20th 2009. But I do feel the same as you do with my liver being too large. I did read that it takes about 10 consecutive days of a low carb diet before the liver will let go some of the stored fat. (I may have read it somewhere in this forum).

I plan on doing a very sensible eating plan, a low carb, low fat and lean solid Protein.

I am VERY overwhelmed by it all. I am fat because I love food and I love to eat. I am really trying to prepare and change my habits as much as I can BEFORE the surgery so I won't have the anxiety of trying to figure it out after the fact.

Good luck to all!