Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scopolomine Patches... Please Read!

Today is day three of my little lap-band journey. I was getting up to take a shower and took a glance in the mirror and realized my right pupil was fully dialiated. It is as big as the color part of my eye. My left eye is normal.

I freaked out... called my doc and she said I might be having a stroke!!! (Anxiety went thru the roof!!!) She advised me to call 911... I didn't feel like I needed the whole fire truck and ambulance sha-bang so my bf just drove me to the ER.

When I got there they took my vitals, did an EKG, and admitted me. Everything was coming up normal so then they opted to do a cat scan.

Soooo many people came to look at my eye and asked me billions of questions.

So to make this already long story short... The DOC came to the conclusion that it was the Scopolomine Patches. I was not warned that these Patches that go behind your ear can do this. A lot of time, money, and most of all totally freaking out could have been preventive if someone just told me.

I googled it when I came home and found that a lot of people have this reaction. Anywhere from blurred vision, to tunnel vision, to going blind!!! I read that you are supposed to gradually take it off. Like 1 to 1/2 to 1/4 of one... hmmm!

Anyway... I thought I would share my story and hopefully prevent anyone else from thinking they are having a stroke or bleeding in the brain!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I just read this message because as was sitting here reading everything I decided to look at my eyes. My right eye pupil is way smaller than my left eye. At first I thought I was seeing things? Thankyou for posting this. I had surgery on the 12th and just took off the patch the other day. Nothing to worry about, right?

In my opinion... I think you are fine. The doctor at the ER told me it should be gone in a couple of days. Just since yesterday my eye has improved a lot. You can actually see some of my color.

I'm glad your ok! Hopefully everything went well with your surgery too!

Today is day three of my little lap-band journey. I was getting up to take a shower and took a glance in the mirror and realized my right pupil was fully dialiated. It is as big as the color part of my eye. My left eye is normal.

I freaked out... called my doc and she said I might be having a stroke!!! (Anxiety went thru the roof!!!) She advised me to call 911... I didn't feel like I needed the whole fire truck and ambulance sha-bang so my bf just drove me to the ER.

When I got there they took my vitals, did an EKG, and admitted me. Everything was coming up normal so then they opted to do a cat scan.

Soooo many people came to look at my eye and asked me billions of questions.

So to make this already long story short... The DOC came to the conclusion that it was the Scopolomine Patches. I was not warned that these Patches that go behind your ear can do this. A lot of time, money, and most of all totally freaking out could have been preventive if someone just told me.

I googled it when I came home and found that a lot of people have this reaction. Anywhere from blurred vision, to tunnel vision, to going blind!!! I read that you are supposed to gradually take it off. Like 1 to 1/2 to 1/4 of one... hmmm!

Anyway... I thought I would share my story and hopefully prevent anyone else from thinking they are having a stroke or bleeding in the brain!!!!!!!!!!!

so missy can i ask why you were on patch,thats not related to your lapband is it?larry

why did u have a patch on?is it normal procedure to wear patch ?first time i heard of this thanks for info?

A lot of people are given these Patches before lap-band surgery. I am sure it just depends on your doctor and surgery center.

I haven't felt any nausea so far... I think the Patches are great as long as you understand what side effects can happen.

im happy it was nothing bad bek..........

congrats on your surgery and hope you feel alot better soon...keep us posted on your progress..........

we are all a work in progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.. I had that patch put on by my anesthesiologist and he made the point, about 5 times, to wash my hands if i touched it. My surgical nurse told me about 6 times to be careful. I cant believe no one told you??!! Bummer..... I think I'd be looking into the matter on who's responsibility it was to inform you.

This post helped me a lot - I just pulled off my patch and I hope that is the cause for my blurry vision. Again, thank you very much.

This is a pretty common effect of scopolamine--so common that medical personnel can become sort of blase about it, and forget to share with patients. And that is VERY scary for patients, as you know!

I'm sorry you went through this ordeal. You should have been told to expect it.

(I'm glad my doctor used a different antiemetic--and glad I know pharmacology...because a pupil-size discrepancy would flip me out, otherwise!)

BEK, sorry about ur incident with the patch. I'm 7 days post op and when they put the patch on me, they told me that it could do that. Thank god I was warned, sorry you weren't and had to go through that! BTW, 7 day and feeling great! Love my band! :wub:

Thanks for the warning. I've had the patch a couple of times with surgery and haven't had that reaction. Sorry for what you had to go through!

Edited by AnneGG

wow! i had that patch, too. a nurse put it on me while we were waiting for me to go in the or. she just said it was something for nausea and that it would last about three days. so left it on for three days then pulled it off the second day i was home. the spot where it was has been a little itchy (that's finally subsided now) but no one ever told me anything about possible side effects. i went and looked at my eyes and they are fine. at least for now. i hope nothing wierd happens. i'm about to go see my eye doc for a new contact prescription though and now i'm wondering if i should wait as maybe the patch has somehow effected my vision and i could end up getting the wrong prescription right now if i'm still effected by it. hmmmm..... either way... thank you so much for sharing your story. i'm glad you are ok.

I did the patch too and it helped immensely if you get sick from anesthesia. I was told though to put it on the night before because it won't get into your system enough if your surgery is in the morning. I was also told not to touch it or wash my hands but they didn't say anything about the vision stuff. I plan on using it in the future if I do have to go under again so thanks so much for the info.