Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

'Beware" of Mexican Doc Advocates?

Hi everyone!!

While I appreciate everyones comments on competent & not so competent docs in Mexico, I was informed that 'beware' of people on the talk forums who promote certain surgeons for free refills or some type of reward from that particular surgeon or facility. If this is fact, it makes it difficult for some of us searching for a surgeon to weed out this type of information. It presents barriers in making decisions regarding surgeons in Mexico. I understand that complications can occur with anyone and any surgeon as it does in the US. I am hearing controversy regarding Dr. Huacuz. It is my understanding that there are several complaints regarding Dr. Huacuz. Is there anyone else willing to share any of the so-called "several complaints" on Dr. Huacuz? Thank you to the individual who shared her misfortune regarding her surgery. I have and I am still considering Dr. Huacuz as a surgeon but I want to know more about these 'several' complaints. I continue to do my homework and would like to schedule surgery by the end of Oct. I too spoke with Don Mills. He was very helpful and informative. But, after attempting to disect all the information and opinions, I could also speculate that he might be working to promote american surgeons? I dont know. I would like to hear from others or even the surgeons if they view the talk forums.

Continue to do my homework and continue to be in a dilema!

Cindyh

I am sure you will get some PM's on this one. I used Dr Kuri and was concerned at one point about his patient reps. Come to find out, they work for him, not some independent side business with a web site set up to solicit business for a particular doc. Sometimes these places get kickbacks from docs and the surgery prices are different than if you go straight through the docs office. Anyhow, I was pleased to learn that Kuri doesn't work like that and everything is up front. My patient rep was able to get me in touch with Dr Kuri over the weekend a week after my surgery when I needed advice. Very helpful.

Good job on turning over all the stones. I don't have info on Haucuz, other than what you have managed to dig up here, but just wanted to say good luck!!

After all the argueing, I quit. You go girl and do your research, after all of us griping about Dr. Huacuz, he is probably more conscience of his work, and will be a safe surgeon. But I congratulate you on doing your homework and can't wait for you to be banded..you will love it. Good luck..Love Shirley

.I have gotten a free fill from a referral, but that is not why I promote him. I promote him because I beleive in him. I trust him completely. If I did not trust him or believe in him..I certainly would not send a patient to him just so I could get a free fill. I am in no need of fills any longer and only got 1 free fill out of the 5 I had since Iam just 5lbs from goal..and I would still send patients to him..in my opinion he is one of the best. I have sent 5 of my friends to him not because I got free fills but because these people saw my success with the band and wanted to have the band themselves, it is only normal that if a person is happy with their Dr. they are going to reccomend him to others if others ask about him regardless of any referral program. It's about helping others and getting the word out about the Lap Band that matters more to me then anything my Dr. can offer me free or otherwise. I beleive in the band and I believe in my Dr. Yes I have heard negative comments on my Dr. just like any other Mx Dr. but I know he is a good caring man from my own experience and that is all that matters to me and that is all I can go on, from my own experience. This is why I would reccomend him to anyone who asks me. I have had a fantastic experience in TJ with my MX Dr.

My Dr. saved my life, not just from doing the band surgery..but from caring enough about me well after my surgery 1 yr post op when I had bowel obstruction and the Dr's here in the ER in the U.S would not operate on me since I had my band in TJ, The ER Dr. called my Dr. in TJ and told him what was going on , on his cell phone mind you and my Mx Dr. told me to get there ASAP.. I raced and I mean raced down to TJ at 90 mph and he and his staff were there literally waiting for at the front door of the hospital me to take me into surgery and fix my bowel obstruction. He saved my life, I was going to die if I did not have that surgery. He cared that much about me.

I though you were another Ortiz patient. I've never heard anything about getting a "referral" filll, but it's nice to know. When people refer clients to me I always send out "Thank you" movie tickets. Referral business is always such a compliment because you know people think enough of you to refer someone.

I'm not filled yet... & I'm not sure if and when I'm going to get one, but maybe we should corrdinate to go down together since we're both in OC? You have any idea of when you're going back?

I do not know for certain if Dr. Ortiz has a referral plan, I know he was thinking of putting one together at one time . I know he gave me on because of the 5 friends I have snet to him in the last 16 months. My business has a referral program as well as my husbands business doesnt mean we are looking for something free by referring people. If you believe in something like a service you got it is only normal to refer people. I will continue to refer peopel to Dr. Ortiz because I believe in him, his experience and his abilities. PERIOD! Plain and Simple!

P. S. I highly doubt if there is someone who is unhappy with their surgeon in MX and are not getting good aftercare that regardless of a free fill or something in return they would refer another person to him..again just my opinion. I know I wouldnt if I was an unhappy patient and had a band experience send anyone his way just for a free 100$ fill. I wouldnt want the risk of someone else having a bad experience on my concsiouness just for the sake of a free fill.

My dentist has a referral programand a dman good one here in the U.S. but I would not refer anyone to her office, it is dirty and they are unorganized and Iam an unhappy patient and at the first chance I get to change dentists thorugh my insurance co on Sept 1st..I am going to

Thanks Kathy for you response. I also believe that there is not anyone using this forum that is not sincere about the doctor they advocate for. I beleive that they would not refer patients if they knew they themselves did not believe in him/her.

Cindyh

I am sure you will get some PM's on this one. I used Dr Kuri and was concerned at one point about his patient reps. Come to find out, they work for him, not some independent side business with a web site set up to solicit business for a particular doc. Sometimes these places get kickbacks from docs and the surgery prices are different than if you go straight through the docs office. Anyhow, I was pleased to learn that Kuri doesn't work like that and everything is up front. My patient rep was able to get me in touch with Dr Kuri over the weekend a week after my surgery when I needed advice. Very helpful.

Good job on turning over all the stones. I don't have info on Haucuz, other than what you have managed to dig up here, but just wanted to say good luck!!

I agree. You make some very good points and have cleared up any doubts in this area. Thanks for the response.

Cindyh

I do not know for certain if Dr. Ortiz has a referral plan, I know he was thinking of putting one together at one time . I know he gave me on because of the 5 friends I have snet to him in the last 16 months. My business has a referral program as well as my husbands business doesnt mean we are looking for something free by referring people. If you believe in something like a service you got it is only normal to refer people. I will continue to refer peopel to Dr. Ortiz because I believe in him, his experience and his abilities. PERIOD! Plain and Simple!

P. S. I highly doubt if there is someone who is unhappy with their surgeon in MX and are not getting good aftercare that regardless of a free fill or something in return they would refer another person to him..again just my opinion. I know I wouldnt if I was an unhappy patient and had a band experience send anyone his way just for a free 100$ fill. I wouldnt want the risk of someone else having a bad experience on my concsiouness just for the sake of a free fill.

My dentist has a referral programand a dman good one here in the U.S. but I would not refer anyone to her office, it is dirty and they are unorganized and Iam an unhappy patient and at the first chance I get to change dentists thorugh my insurance co on Sept 1st..I am going to

Okay... here I go....(everyone brace yourself for my opinion on this one)

I am not a HUGE fan of Mexican surgery because I think it is a gamble and a roll of the dice to have surgery in another country BUT........ I had my surgery in Mexico and I have a happy healthy band. I know there are others that have had horrible experiences and although I feel sad for them, those same things are happening here in the US too. I think it being in Mexico just makes it feel more helpless because of the lack of legal recourse. Mexico is a different "feel" and it is "different" from the US. If you know that, realize that, accept that, internalize that, and keep an open mind about it, you will probably have a better experience and less anxiety pre surgery. Choosing the right doctor is up to you though.

HOWEVER, I also think that if you really research your doctor (and I mean really research them) and spend the time and effort in doing so... you can choose a doctor that regardless of any legal recourse that you do not have, they would fix any problems because they are a fantastic surgeon with a good reputation.

I had Dr. Ortiz as my doctor. I researched him up, down, backwards, and forwards. I chose him because of his reputation. I chose him because of his ego. I chose him because I believed in him as an excellent surgeon. I chose him because of location. I chose him because of his knowledge. I chose him because of price. I chose him because of my BMI. I chose him because of his previous patients. I chose him because I felt confident that he would fix any band problem I had. I chose him for ALL of these reasons, and more.

THERE WAS NO WAY I WAS NOT CHOOSING HIM BECAUSE HE IS 5 MILES ACROSS THE BORDER. I gambled with the Mexico surgery idea and I came out alright in the end with a happy healthy band at 1/2 the cost out of my bank account.

I am not promoting any one doctor. I am promoting the fact I have a happy healthy band and it has done its job of 40 lbs in 4 months. But having surgery in Mexico is a personal choice that I feel someone should be really educated about all the pros and cons about.

Will I go to Mexico (or any other country) for surgery again? Maybe... maybe not... probably... probably not... who knows! I cross those bridges when I come to them and need to weigh my options and research all over again. But would I have Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez as my surgeons again?? ABSOLUTELY!

I am happy :D for you that your surgery in Mexico was a very pleasant experience and successful! It appears you have done very well and must be feeling so good by now!! I would love to have Dr. Oritz as my surgeon also, but I could stay in my home town have the surgery for almost around $2,000.00 more with free refills for a year. I am self pay and feel there has to be a good, reputable surgeon that stands behind his work for less $. There are several surgeons to pick from at lower prices and that makes the choice more complicated. I know that spending the extra $ may be worth it, but some of us do not have the extra to spend. Like I said, I would stay here and have the surgery if that were the case.

Thank you for your feedback. I wish you many skinny and happy days to come!!

Cindyh

Okay... here I go....(everyone brace yourself for my opinion on this one)

I am not a HUGE fan of Mexican surgery because I think it is a gamble and a roll of the dice to have surgery in another country BUT........ I had my surgery in Mexico and I have a happy healthy band. I know there are others that have had horrible experiences and although I feel sad for them, those same things are happening here in the US too. I think it being in Mexico just makes it feel more helpless because of the lack of legal recourse. Mexico is a different "feel" and it is "different" from the US. If you know that, realize that, accept that, internalize that, and keep an open mind about it, you will probably have a better experience and less anxiety pre surgery. Choosing the right doctor is up to you though.

HOWEVER, I also think that if you really research your doctor (and I mean really research them) and spend the time and effort in doing so... you can choose a doctor that regardless of any legal recourse that you do not have, they would fix any problems because they are a fantastic surgeon with a good reputation.

I had Dr. Ortiz as my doctor. I researched him up, down, backwards, and forwards. I chose him because of his reputation. I chose him because of his ego. I chose him because I believed in him as an excellent surgeon. I chose him because of location. I chose him because of his knowledge. I chose him because of price. I chose him because of my BMI. I chose him because of his previous patients. I chose him because I felt confident that he would fix any band problem I had. I chose him for ALL of these reasons, and more.

THERE WAS NO WAY I WAS NOT CHOOSING HIM BECAUSE HE IS 5 MILES ACROSS THE BORDER. I gambled with the Mexico surgery idea and I came out alright in the end with a happy healthy band at 1/2 the cost out of my bank account.

I am not promoting any one doctor. I am promoting the fact I have a happy healthy band and it has done its job of 40 lbs in 4 months. But having surgery in Mexico is a personal choice that I feel someone should be really educated about all the pros and cons about.

Will I go to Mexico (or any other country) for surgery again? Maybe... maybe not... probably... probably not... who knows! I cross those bridges when I come to them and need to weigh my options and research all over again. But would I have Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez as my surgeons again?? ABSOLUTELY!

I will be honest.... If I found a surgeon, researched him to be excellent, and was in the US for $2k more. I would have went there. I was only looking at Mexico because of my low BMI, even as self pay no one would do me. So for me, he was the best choice out of country.

The only thing I would be suspicious of in the US for anyone that quotes under $15k for the surgery would be... are they any additional nickle/dime costs that could kill ya. Some people here have had surgery for $12k but when it was all done and over with after pre op tests and all it was over $18k!! I liked that Mexico was all inclusive, no hidden fees and no extra charges, very straight forward. And I respected that as well.

I think that your questions and concerns are great!!! There are a lot of people that get the band and just say "fix me" rather than weighing the options back and forth. So for you to be really hunting and searching is great!!!

I have done very well, but I have a feeling you will too soon!!!

Good luck!

Dr. Joya provides free fills for all of his patients, whether or not they refer people, once a patient of his you get free fills for life! What is better than that... And He charges only $8000 for the surgery, includes airfare, and the fills and he uses a real hospital,... anyhow here is his website http://www.drjoya.com

AND it is my understanding that they do not have a network of patient coordinators, just a medical office located in Puerto Vallarta.