Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little vent ~

In 20 minutes I'm going to see my lapband doctor that I haven't seen since my big unfill back in November. It's been a little over 3 months since I've seen him.

I only just got restriction back on the 19th of February, and I've lost 4 lbs, but of course, last night I started my monthly cycle. Thus making me gain 3 lbs as it ALWAYS does. And I just want to scream, because when he weighs me, depending on which of his crappy scales I step on, it will look like I've gained weight and if I have to hear a lecture from him I just know I'm going to go off. If he asks me to "keep a food journal" I'm going to go off.

I didn't get this surgery to live my life in fear of doctors or fill people or to keep track of every morsel I put in my mouth. It's self sabotaging and I refuse to do it.

The sucky part is.. I've been busting my hump working out everyday and eating right.. I mean seriously, I even turned down the chocolate banana shake my hubby wanted to buy me this weekend! and thanks to my monthly cycle, my hard work has gone out the window on the most important day ... litterally, yesterday morning I was 3 lbs less!!

Sure, I can tell my doctor that, but how many other people who ate tamales and chips and queso say the same thing! "Oh, I'm on my cycle".. he probably hears that every damned day and it will go in ear and out the other ear.

I'm so furious right now. I wish I could cancel my appointment and wait for it to blow over, but, it's litterally in less than an hour and you have to give a full days notice to cancel or else you are charged a fee.

I'll report back in when it's over... :)

Oh Crystal, I feel for you. I got the "you've only lost 3.5 lbs in six months lecture from the nurse because I was sick and on steroids (which added about 4 lbs) at the time of the appointment. It wrecked my day! I was disappointed enough with the weight loss and didn't need her telling me that I should have lost more.

You probably don't have enough restriction yet to really make a difference. And there isn't much you can do when your body betrays you like that. You are working hard and doing the best that you can do. You look terrific no matter what the scale says so hang in there and keep you head up. You have much to be proud of, even if the doctor can't see that.

Doesn't you doctor do your fills? Does he know about the unfill? Put it back on him.

Love you!

Well, my doctor was very sweet. Before he remember that I had no restriction for three months at first he was like "oh, did you have a little setback?" and then when I reminded him he was like "oh yeah, that's right, I'm sorry".. After I told him that he thought I did very well and was proud of me for not gaining hardly anything. He thinks I'm right on track and doing well.

St. Louis - I actually have a fill center I go to that is separate from my doctor's office. He is the one who gave them the order to take half my fill out though.

I actually do have great restriction now, but I've been building up to it for the last three months. I had been getting .4 put in every month. This last one put me at a good restriction. And I had lost weight. It just seems like I have my cycle right at every 3 weeks now and it's such a pain. Really its a two week ordeal if you think about it. lol. Such a pain.

How did I know everything would turn out okay? Psychic? Maybe... hehe. No, I've just heard it so many times ppl gaining a little when they are unfilled. I knew your Doc would take that into consideration.

Hope your fill works out well!

I'm so glad it went well. Now that you have restriction you will lose even more. I am really proud of you for not gaining while you were unfilled.

I am probably going to have some of mine taken out too. Dr. wants to do an upper endoscopy before he does anything so I'm on liquids right now. I am really scared about having any fill taken out but I am obviously too tight. Test are on Friday.

Glad to hear things went good. But it does raise the issue - how many of us are lectured to by our docs? I haven't been, and I think I would be somewhat less than mature if anyone doc, nurse, whomever started down that path! They are there to HELP us, and lecturing never helps anyone!

Oh well, maybe it is just my pet peeve (or rather, one of many).

Tapshoes, you make a good point. A lecture makes me feel like a failure and head straight to the nearest ice cream shop.

I was banded in November, not February, but I am having a horrible time with my dr. Yesterday when I saw him, I had a loss, but not big enough. he said I wasn't "dieting" and I could have only 2 ozs. of food per meal, 3 times per day and "no carbs, nada, zip, zero carbs." He said if he could say it in Chinese he would so I understood. he is scheduling an upper GI for me to check for slippage. I have had one fill and he won't do another until after the xray and his office is in no hurry to schedule the xray. It is so demeaning to go to his office and I just wish I had never started this experience. He is supposed to support me, right.....help me by filling the band, right. I think it is all just a money making scam and once the surgery is over you are on your own. Just MHO.

Tapshoes, you make a good point. A lecture makes me feel like a failure and head straight to the nearest ice cream shop.

LOL! St.Lou... so true!

Here's me...

"I'll show you Mr. Doctor Man!!" :Shaking Fist:

I'm not sure it is all a $$ thing. I think they like for their statistics to look good. The main thing is most surgeons are men and don't really understand how a woman's mind reacts to negative stimulation.

I'm lucky, I only have to see the doctor when I am getting a fill or when I'm having a problem. The rest of the time I deal with his staff, most of whom are wonderful. They are pretty specific about not wanting us to diet. We are to eat a well rounded diet that includes Protein, fruits, veggies, starch etc. Just in much smaller portions.

Well, and that's the sad part. I know so many bandsters that are scared to go back to their doctor for fear of rejection, lectures, and being berrated. So, they never go back.. never go in to get their fills. My doctor has never been anything but sweet to me, so I shouldn't have just assumed he'd be mean to me or lecture me; but perhaps people just feel bad about their weightgain or lack of weightloss so they won't go. When you hear of doctors who do make people feel bad, I think it scares all of us. Just the fear of not losing anything, I'm sure is self sabotaging.

I know what you mean, I went ten years without seeing my GYN because all he did was tell me how fat I was. If I was over the last weight I was when I saw him, I just didn't go. I now go to a really sweet doc who doesn't fuss at me about my weight. I wish I had switched much sooner.

Ladies - it is our health we are talking about! Our well-being! Whether about the band or another body part, you don't mess around with it. You HAVE to be able to talk with your doc. Never ever ever let your discomfort with a physician/careprovider stop you.. if you need to get another doc, do it!

Don't mess with your health...this is your body and your life! If you don't like your doc, get another.

OK - lecture over. It is just I have seen/learned of too many instances where someone didn't go to the doctor because they were embarassed or afraid or just didn't like him/her, and paid the consequences...negatively and big-time!

My doctor has never been anything but sweet to me, so I shouldn't have just assumed he'd be mean to me or lecture me; but perhaps people just feel bad about their weightgain or lack of weightloss so they won't go. When you hear of doctors who do make people feel bad, I think it scares all of us. Just the fear of not losing anything, I'm sure is self sabotaging.

Your doctor could probably tell by your demeanor that he didn't need to beat you up! You were doing a pretty good job of it yourself! You really got yourself worked up! :unsure:

Just hang in there and keep doing the right things and it will all work out just fine!!

Well, and that's the sad part. I know so many bandsters that are scared to go back to their doctor for fear of rejection, lectures, and being berrated. So, they never go back.. never go in to get their fills. My doctor has never been anything but sweet to me, so I shouldn't have just assumed he'd be mean to me or lecture me; but perhaps people just feel bad about their weightgain or lack of weightloss so they won't go. When you hear of doctors who do make people feel bad, I think it scares all of us. Just the fear of not losing anything, I'm sure is self sabotaging.

I agree. When we aren't losing we feel bad enough, we don't need anyone else harping one us. I was terrified to get my fill after that four months but they were very nice.

You are doing super, by the way. And you look great crystal.